Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Zion Noobfest June 6-9 - See 1st post for info summary

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tanya, can you please put Eiji down for my Saturday and Sunday breakaway groups. Eiji's not on the board, but he's an alpine partner of mine who's coming down to Zion that weekend for his first canyons ever!

hey.... keeping large groups of friends together really hurts splitting groups and mixing things up.... I also think it will kill a lot of the social interaction... so, these two groups....

Acca, Shagster, Glasscutter, Beech, Hanker
    and
    DiscGo, Warren, Axpence, J-Rob

Tell me how important it is I keep you all together? You guys all in one car? If not, I'll probably do some splitting.

And for future reference.... if we ever do this again I think I will only agree to keep pairs together....

OK I just got some more peeps for our group. Tyson, a new member on here and his girlfriend want to join our group. So that means the Das Boot permit is full but the Pinecreek still has 6 spots left. He wasn't sure if they were camping or hotelin' it.
    The man thong is wrong.

Mark Me and J-ROB officially a maybe for Sunday. What time will we be done with the Saturday canyon would you guys estimate? I might have to head out right after the canyon.

Had to come up with some interesting lies for work that weekend but...

PM's just sent to Jaxx and CP.

I would like to join CP on Saturday and Jaxx on Sunday.

Might be able to come down Thursday night...anyone doing a canyon Friday?

Edit: Heard back from both CP and Jaxx; I'm in! Looking forward to this trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Axpence
    Mark Me and J-ROB officially a maybe for Sunday. What time will we be done with the Saturday canyon would you guys estimate? I might have to head out right after the canyon.
    For Saturday canyons I expect to start about 9am and be finished before 5pm. it's a casual day with casual canyons, i see no need to get an early start Saturday....

Sunday it looks like most groups will be starting at 7am.... and I'll guess finishing around 3pmish. Except those doing Echo.... we like to sleep in, do breakfast, who cares about time....

And I need a YES or No from every one for certain in the next few days.... Actually if you are on the list of 24 I consider you a solid YES, get your name off the list if you are flaking.... I just spent all morning splitting the groups and I don't want to have to do it again. If you guys screw up my planning I'm going to do some major ass kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

Tell me how important it is I keep you all together? You guys all in one car? If not, I'll probably do some splitting.
    Warren and I are driving down together on one day my car and J-Rob and Axpense are driving down together a whole seperate day in a different car. So as much as I like J-Rob and Axpense we can totally seperate.

I just IMed you Ice, but I was even thinking that I may lack the experience to do this without requiring a babysitter, or bringing somebody down and I certainly don't want to ruin the weekend for anybody. So if needs be, I don't mind just hanging out in Zion and hooking up at the bar or whatever with everyone.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

On Saturday I would feel best if everyone knew how to rappel..... This means they can put on a harness, clip into the rope, and rappel safely. Someone with experience will locate the anchors and set the ropes.... I hope to have at least one experienced person at the top to make sure everyone clips in correctly, and I hope to have at least one experienced person at the bottom to provide a bottom belay.

Sunday is not really a big deal with regards to rappeling for any of the routes, we can baby sit all the short drops on Sunday without much hassle.

The problem is we can't have many complete noob's and provide the supervision they require. If you think you are lacking in your rappeling skills it would be in your best interest to find someone to take you out to practice before Bogley fest, If someone had done several rappels before Bogley and can put on a harness, clip into the rope, and rappel safely there should be little problem.

In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    C

There must be other options too if the group campsite does not work out but I can't think of any.
    I like to camp on the golf course at Mt Carmel Junction. If you get up with the sun it's a free night on the green.

Tanya: That would cool if you put me on the list for 1 of the spots for pinecreek. If thats cool.

Just confirming I'm all set to go SAT and SUN

Ice: If Das Boot is still on the table for the sunday split of the main list I've been hoping to see that one for a while, happy to stop and watchout for bad clip-ins and otherwise help out as needed.

I'm very thankful for all here who have planned out what looks to be a great trip and helped me maintain my obliviousness to the dreaded zion permit system

Hey all,

I have been able to confirm that I am now a definite for the trip. Not trying to, but this will likely throw a wrench into the works; I'm going to be heading out there from 6/6 (arriving VERY late at night on Firday 6/6) and canyoneering through Sunday 6/15.

The wrench part is that I'll have up to 6 folks from Colorado coming with me. (Don't know exactly how many yet, as I just sent out the invite to join me to my canyoneering pals.) Everyone in my group will be pretty experienced; as my canyon hit list includes Heaps, Imlay, Kolob, etc. I'm still willing to help out with whatever I can; including creating yet another breakaway group if that would be easiest. Or maybe I wait a week or so until my group numbers become more solid?

If nothing else, I'm also fine with running our own canyons; and then just meeting up with everyone later. If it would be easier to discuss over the phone, feel free to PM me with your number (or ask for mine) and I'll PM it to you.

Sorry if this caused a hassle, but I didn't know if I was going to be able to break away for the week (Zion is a bit too far for just a weekend for me...)

If anyone is interested in joining my group for the week after the NoobFest, feel free to contact me. I'll be asking your canyon experience, as we have some big days planned, but I'm willing to fill my team of 6 with folks outside of CO as well.

Take care,
    A.J.

My girlfriend and I will be joining Jaxx's breakaway group for both saturday and sunday.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TySoN
    My girlfriend and I will be joining Jaxx's breakaway group for both saturday and sunday.
    Is this a Utah thang? All these guys seem to have girlfriends that lack names?

Tom

hey.... keeping large groups of friends together really hurts splitting groups and mixing things up.... I also think it will kill a lot of the social interaction... so, these two groups....

Acca, Shagster, Glasscutter, Beech, Hanker
    and
    DiscGo, Warren, Axpence, J-Rob

And for future reference.... if we ever do this again I think I will only agree to keep pairs together....

Yes Ice we will all be in one car if you can make it work. I can also help out where ever you need since I have done pinecreek/keyhole/echo. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by shagster
    Yes Ice we will all be in one car if you can make it work. I can also help out where ever you need since I have done pinecreek/keyhole/echo. Let me know.
    Too late... beech already tossed you under the bus.

I think I have it worked out....

Everyone wants to re-arrange or to do something special.... It's not going to happen, so don't ask!!!

Unless you are removing your name from the group of 24 we are not interested.... the only request we will currently entertain is those wanting to do Echo on Sunday. This is about doing canyons with friends and not about ticking specific targets off your list.... if the fest agenda does not match your needs please remove your name from the 24, and no hard feelings....

FYI: Saturday we plan to split the 24 into two groups of 12. Sunday the 24 will be split into two groups of 6 and one of 12. That's not exactly by choice, it was how the permits worked out.

The plan is currently for the entire 24 to meet in the Visitor Center parking lot on Saturday morning, this will allow us to sort out the small details. Bring your ropes, I'm hoping to fix the first few raps so we can move fast. I figure we will sort ropes in the parking lot.

Move info when things get closer.

Everyone wants to re-arrange or to do something special.... It's not going to happen, so don't ask!!!
    But, I'm special.

(hotlinked that; hope the image lasts)

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    But, I'm special.
    I'm beginning to think you all ride the short bus.