Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dang! I Beat Tanya to a South Guardian thread!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by gootwan
    Great pics! Looks like a fun one...

Question- About how much faster is the SGA approach to the Left Fork than the tradition Subway approach? I'm wondering if it would be preferable to access the Subway that way. Which Left Fork obstacles/features are bypassed?

Thanks!

Jordan

Hi Jordan...

We crossed the Left Fork below all the obstacles. You would not want to enter the Subway the usual ways... the classic way, Russel Gulch or my favorite - Das Boot.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya

Question- About how much faster is the SGA approach to the Left Fork than the tradition Subway approach? I'm wondering if it would be preferable to access the Subway that way. Which Left Fork obstacles/features are bypassed?

Thanks!

Jordan

Hi Jordan...

We crossed the Left Fork below all the obstacles. You would not want to enter the Subway the usual ways... the classic way, Russel Gulch or my favorite - Das Boot.
    Wait this way is better? Or you mean would not want to do the subway this way, stick to the normal routes.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner

Thanks!

Jordan

Hi Jordan...

Wait this way is better? Or you mean would not want to do the subway this way, stick to the normal routes.

Yes, I would not want to do the Subway this way.

Thanks!

Just to clarify... if I just wanted to access the Subway section itself from the top (for photography for example) would the SGA approach be a faster and easier (meaning fewer technical obstacles) way?

Jordan

Bogley BigShot

Thanks!

Just to clarify... if I just wanted to access the Subway section itself from the top (for photography for example) would the SGA approach be a faster and easier (meaning fewer technical obstacles) way?

Jordan
    I'm not sure on that since I have not gone that way, but it seems like it would be the long way to go though. If you want to avoid all obstacles and just see the Subway, Cascades and such then just follow this route description.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/lef...orth-creek.htm

It's a beautiful place to photograph!

more..

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index58.htm

Thanks Tanya. Once again, great pictures!

I've actually done the Subway top down a few times and was just wondering if there was a quicker way to access from the top. I love the section just above the Subway proper, which is not accessible from the bottom up approach. I never knew the Northgate Peaks trail could be extended all the way to the Left Fork.

Thanks again for all the info.

Jordan

Re: Dang! I Beat Tanya to a South Guardian thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck

I already know what some of you are thinking about that profile!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Bogley BigShot
    Thanks Tanya. Once again, great pictures!

I've actually done the Subway top down a few times and was just wondering if there was a quicker way to access from the top. I love the section just above the Subway proper, which is not accessible from the bottom up approach. I never knew the Northgate Peaks trail could be extended all the way to the Left Fork.

Thanks again for all the info.

Jordan
    The South Guardian Angel route is one of the longest dang hikes I have done in Zion! --- but getting to the Subway part is not all that bad. I just have no idea how far it is from there to the parts of the Subway you would want to photograph. Where you come into the river though is a wonderful cubby hole type of arch. I bet Bo knows though! Last I heard he is busy doing honey-do's right now. You could email him and he would reply I bet!

Do we get to see some of your Subway shots?

Bo's Email
    bobeck @ zionnational-park.com

Do we get to see some of your Subway shots?
    Ha! Embarrassingly, they are all on Fuji Velvia slides packed away in a box somewhere.

I used to shoot a lot of slides back before my kids were born but have not done much since digital took over. Just point and shoot stuff. Hoping to get a nice digital SLR soon cuz I really want to start it up again.

And its been about 10 yrs since I've done the Subway so I'm excited to see her again as well. Maybe sometime this summer...

Thanks for the Bo referral!

Jordan

Bogley BigShot
    Good Luck getting back out there. Digital makes putting stuff on the net so nice! When you get it you will be an addict... like us.

Thanks!

Jordan
    Jordan, the approach isn't faster unless you know exactly where to go, and even at that it probably wouldn't save much time? The only obstacles that are bypassed would be the first boulder "downclimb,rappel,handline, chimney drop" and the first "wading pools".

Here is the route description Tanya and I wrote with GPS coordinates.
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/guardian-angel.htm

And here is a map showing the route.
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/map-guardian-angel.htm

I wouldn't recommend this route as an entry into the "Subway", but it does shorten the miles hiked if your goal is South Guardian.

Bo

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck

Thanks!

Jordan
    Jordan, the approach isn't faster unless you know exactly where to go, and even at that it probably wouldn't save much time? The only obstacles that are bypassed would be the first boulder "downclimb,rappel,handline, chimney drop" and the first "wading pools".

Here is the route description Tanya and I wrote with GPS coordinates.
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/guardian-angel.htm

And here is a map showing the route.
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/map-guardian-angel.htm

I wouldn't recommend this route as an entry into the "Subway", but it does shorten the miles hiked if your goal is South Guardian.

Bo
    Cool, Bo... thanks!

Jordan