Thread: Gordon Falls? -- near Price

Gordon Falls? -- near Price

There was a picture in the Tribune this past Thursday (Apr 10) of "Gordon Falls", near Price.

SL Trib Outdoor Section

As described:

Gordon Falls, near Price, is beautiful, but reaching it will require 4-wheel drive or a three-mile hike. The waterfall is approximately 80 feet high.
    Anybody have some first hand knowledge of these falls? I think I found them on my Utah Topo map software. Is it real low range 4wd territory, or would an awd pseudo-SUV suffice? Accessible this time of year? Toying with the idea of taking a day trip one of these weekends, perhaps even tomorrow!

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've been out there several times. Around here they're called the Gordon Creek Falls. You can drive any vehicle to within 1.2 miles of the falls, but after that it's definitely pretty serious "low range 4wd territory." You have to drive across the north fork of Gordon Creek, then there's a really steep rocky hill that's challenging in just about any vehicle, but it can be done with 4WD and probably a minimum of 31" tires. You might be able to get away with smaller tires if you've got a shorter wheelbase and some good ground clearance. I've been out there in a mid-90s Ford Ranger and a '79 Ford F-150, both 4WD with 31" tires. I also took my '97 F-250 extended-cab long-bed out there in April of last year, and at one point I had only two tires on the ground (right-front and left-rear). Here are some of the pictures I took last year:

Crossing the North Fork of Gordon Creek

The Nearby Railroad Trestle

My Son at the Falls

Another Angle of the Falls

If you've got a GPS, here are some coordinates to get you there:

Turn off Consumers Road here and head south
    N 39

Thanks a lot Udink. Your information is very helpful. How about snow/mud/water levels this time of year? I'd have to hike the last section...is there much vehicular traffic on the 4wd section?

Mud and snow should be pretty much non-existent. When you cross the north fork of Gordon Creek on your way to the falls, you can usually find a place to cross on foot (you'll probably have to jump for it, but it shouldn't be too difficult). I've never seen other traffic on that road, and I've driven it several times, hiked once, and mountain biked it once.

By the way, there are some smaller falls upstream from the big falls, with a big pond just below them. I wish I could remember exactly how far upstream the upper falls were, but it seems like it was only about 1/4-mile or so. It was worth hiking there, anyway. Here are some pictures of the upper falls and pond.
    Attached Images Attached Images