View Poll Results: What type of pedal do you ride with?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Platform (flat, no clip in)

14 37.84%
  • Clipless (or clips, or "clicky thingies")

23 62.16%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pedals - Platform vs Clipless

I've enjoyed the past 10 years with no broken ribs, thanks to the flats

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Alrighty, since Iceax resurrected a 2 year old thread, I'll chime in. I decided to experiment with flats this summer and rode with them for 2 months. I think I gave them a fair shot. I bought some OneUp composite pedals. They were $60 so, not the best pedal out there and not the worst. A lot of guys said they ride this pedal so, I think it was a good choice for the money. I used a Pearl Izumi shoe with a fairly flat and sticky sole. Not the most ideal but, I wasn't going to spend $100+ on shoes for an experiment. In the end the PI's worked OK and were never really an issue. With flats the first thing I noticed happened while climbing. My foot was popping off the pedal at the top of the stroke, especially on a more techy climb. After thinking it through I realized that with clipless I hadn't been starting the power phase of the pedal stroke soon enough. Applying power sooner = no more foot pop off. So, I had gotten lazy with clipless. With flats I also discovered that my foot likes to be farther forward on the pedal. I thought I had my foot pretty far forward with clipless but, learned it needs to be even more forward. So, I learned some good, helpful stuff from riding flats. Mostly, that my pedal stroke had gotten lazy from years of riding clipless. Bottom line is I still like the feeling of being more connected to the pedal, particularly on the climbs. Riding flats I also learned I was using far more upstroke with clipless than I realized and I was missing that part of the pedal stroke. I also find it easier with clipless to get my foot in the right position to start pedaling, especially on a climb. Again, I gave flats a good, fair shot and I just like clipless better. I’m the type of guy who just doesn’t care what others are riding. I rarely notice what bike someone else is on, what shoes and pedals they are using or whether they are wearing spandex or baggies. I just don’t care. Ride what you want and works best for you.
    Are we there yet?

Pedals - Platform vs Clipless

I’ll stick with clipless too. I like being connected to the pedals as well and not having my foot sliding around on climbs and descents.

If your foot is sliding around you have the wrong or you have a poor shoe and pedal combo. If your foot is not setting in the correct position on the pedal you don't have a good shoe and pedal combo.

A good rider can easily ride flats or clips... Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    A good rider can easily ride flats or clips... Just sayin...
    Maybe we should decide this with a race down Rush, Vertigo or Levitate? Take your pick.

You ride with flats and I’ll ride clipless. The winner gets bragging rights. Lol

How about a race up canyon hollow or Clark's. Take your pick :-)

I don't race DH anymore because crashes take way too long to heal, one day you'll be old and understand...

8. Likes double moo liked this post
    Go big or go home... some oversized Crank Bros Stamp 7s. Trying to get a better support for the size 13s.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Maybe we should decide this with a race down Rush, Vertigo or Levitate? Take your pick.

You ride with flats and I’ll ride clipless. The winner gets bragging rights. Lol
    I'll bring the video gear

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I'll bring the video gear
    Bogley has a Strava group that I'll plug right now. Anyone that's a member of the group already knows which Bogley contributors are fast and where. Come join Bogley on Strava as it's fun stuff.

And just for giggles here is a picture of the last time I raced an official DH and why I don't race them anymore :-) the shoulder will never completely heal or work normal again.

Now if you want to race a couple of laps on Levitate I'm all in.

12. Likes double moo liked this post
    I'm so fast I didn't want to be accused of riding an ebike

Tried both, and won't ever use clipless again. I love my platforms and never have to worry when riding technical stuff. I've seen too many of my buddies get hurt bad riding clipless and the bike ends up twisting parts of them that would never have been twisted if they could have bailed off flats.
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

I followed @tallsteve and his adventures with platforms on the Facebook MTB group and knew immediately he would probably not be able to transition to platforms as it was really messing with his head and many of the issues he had like pedal strikes were a mindset and not really a pedal issue.

YMMV

I went from clipless to flats this year and will never go back. Sure, clipless are a little more efficient and I still like them a little more for real techy climbs, but overall I like the flats so much more on the downs that it makes it worth it for me. My first ride on them was Captain Ahab and I did slip a pedal on a climb and still have the scar to prove it, but luckily it was on the calf and not the shin. But after a few rides I figured out the climbing and haven't had problems since.

17. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Meatgrinders for me. Sure beats broken ribs or separated shoulders.

Name:  IMG_0352.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  66.4 KB
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Meatgrinders for me. Sure beats broken ribs or separated shoulders.
    I've never done either and have been riding clipless for 25 years or so (knock on wood!).
    Are we there yet?

20. Likes twotimer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I've never done either and have been riding clipless for 25 years or so (knock on wood!).
    There are two types of mountain bike riders in the world.... those who have visited the emergency room and those who will visit the emergency room.

Climb-Utah.com

There are two types of mountain bike riders in the world.... those who have visited the emergency room and those who will visit the emergency room.

Climb-Utah.com
    Yep. I've visited the ER a couple of times from mtn. biking. Not for broken ribs or broken collarbone, though.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Knockin' on wood for ya, brother!

Perhaps it's because you're so damn tall...you have so much more time to prepare for the crash.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

There are three types of mountain bike riders in the world.... those who have visited the emergency room, those who will visit the emergency room, and really slow riders. :)

Climb-Utah.com
    FIFY

25. Likes Iceaxe liked this post

Climb-Utah.com
    I'm in that club. Hope to not get another entry.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk