View Poll Results: What type of pedal do you ride with?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Platform (flat, no clip in)

14 37.84%
  • Clipless (or clips, or "clicky thingies")

23 62.16%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pedals - Platform vs Clipless

CrankBrothers Candys for me. Have used clipless for about 8 years. Love em!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by neilether
    CrankBrothers Candys for me.
    +1. Three pair of Candys with a pair of Eggbeaters on the Zaskar hardtail. Will put platforms on a downhill or dirt jump bike if I ever get one or on the old Bianchi with winter studs if my dear old dad ever gives it back to me.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

For the past 20 years I have been riding and racing my mountain bike with clipless pedals. This year I bought a new mountain bike and decided to try some platforms mostly because I had a set sitting in the garage and the trails were still snow and ice covered.... anyhoo.... after riding with the platforms for the past month I will probably never go back to clipless.

The biggest improvement in my riding style is I notice I'm a little more aggressive with platforms. After about two days of riding I really didn't notice any difference in climbing, which is where I thought I might have problems with the platforms. I also feel safer with the platforms, which is a good thing for an old man... just thought you might like an update.

5. Likes REDFOX liked this post

Pedals - Platform vs Clipless

@<u><a href="http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=116" target="_blank">double moo</a></u> shared this video about it. Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/LFgHaMHeKyM

I saw that when it came out a couple of weeks ago. The results for one guy doesn't make me lean one way or another. I'd like to see a more in-depth study although the whole thing seems a bit trivial in the grand scheme of things for someone to spend a bunch of research money on. Ride what you like. I've been riding clipless for 25 years or so. With that being said, I'm going to throw some flats on at some point this summer and try them on my favorite trail just for kicks. Impressions afterward.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    For the past 20 years I have been riding and racing my mountain bike with clipless pedals. This year I bought a new mountain bike and decided to try some platforms mostly because I had a set sitting in the garage and the trails were still snow and ice covered.... anyhoo.... after riding with the platforms for the past month I will probably never go back to clipless.

The biggest improvement in my riding style is I notice I'm a little more aggressive with platforms. After about two days of riding I really didn't notice any difference in climbing, which is where I thought I might have problems with the platforms. I also feel safer with the platforms, which is a good thing for an old man... just thought you might like an update.

It's been three years now and I have no plans to go back to clips. The more I ride platforms the more I like them.

9. Likes Sombeech, bigred72 liked this post
    It's been three years now and I have no plans to go back to clips. The more I ride platforms the more I like them.

+1...

Whatever the science says, even if it turns out that platforms are less efficient, it's just nice to not have this happen

12. Likes gholt liked this post
    Just tonight I was riding around Eagle Crest from east to west when a guy coming the other direction was coming down pretty fast. He was kind enough to recognie that as the uphill rider I had the right of way. He was hard on the brakes and got it under control 15' in front of me... then he started the slow motion tip over as he struggled to unsuccessfully unclip. "Thats gonna hurt" I muttered as he was going over. As I was clearing him I asked if he was OK? "Yes, just stuck in my clips". My riding buddy was a hundred yards behind me - said he was still on the ground strugging to get his pinned down foot out when he passed, and again declined help!

Unfortuntley I have to admit to having done that myself on more than one occasion. Don't happen any more with the flats.

So I will still be off my bike for quite a while, but I already bought a pair of flat pedals and will get some nice stick 510 shoes. When the doctor gives me the go ahead I will start out riding with flats as I don't want to be clipped in during rehab rides. I'm very curious to see how I'll like it. I've been riding clipless for 12 years. Will I be the next convert to flats?

15. Likes REDFOX, Sombeech, Iceaxe liked this post
    First shake out ride this morning with my new flat pedal and 510 shoes. It was interesting. Clearly I need some practice, but I was very surprised how difficult it was to keep my feet on the pedals.......going UPHILL. On rocky climbs my feet were all over the place. Descending actually felt pretty good.

Some of the issue is that I don't have hardly any strength in my right calf, so keeping my foot on that pedal is hard, but I noticed it with my good left foot as well. Is this an anomaly for me, or part of the learning curve?

Personally my learning curve with flats was one ride, by my second ride I forgot which pedal I was riding. I have no clue if that is normal or not.

510 shoes with adjustable pinned flat pedals are solid. I never slip a pedal.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I like pedals with the adjustable allen screws sticking up for grip. You can feel them grip into your average shoes. The bad part is, you can imagine them gripping into your shin flesh if you slip out.

I must be a slow learner. The downhill feels pretty good (granted, I haven't tried anything very technical yet), but the rocky uphills have me flummoxed. It's getting better though. i just have to remember to keep downward pressure on both pedals at all times. That wasn't a necessity with clipless.

Also, jumping......not good. I"m gonna have to do some serious parking lot practice when my foot gets a little bit stronger. I had no idea how much I was cheating and using my pedals to lift up the bike.

What pedals are you riding? I've only ridden a high quality flat.

What pedals are you riding? I've only ridden a high quality flat.
    RaceFace Chester. A plastic bodied pedal with the removable pins (screws). Not super high end, but they are decent ones.

Climb-Utah.com

24. Likes double moo liked this post

Climb-Utah.com
    Looks like I chose wisely! I'm on flat permanently. Not going back.

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Looks like I chose wisely! I'm on flat permanently. Not going back.
    X2

Climb-Utah.com