View Poll Results: What type of pedal do you ride with?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Platform (flat, no clip in)

14 37.84%
  • Clipless (or clips, or "clicky thingies")

23 62.16%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pedals - Platform vs Clipless

Pedals - Platform vs Clipless

What's your preference?

After breaking my ribs twice, I went back to platforms. Never looked back.

2. Likes twotimer liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I currently ride with "clipless" but am thinking of going back to platforms. I don't race, and I usually am riding alone.

Flats for me!

Pedals, that is, not tires.

I'm not terribly coordinated, and I have a LOT more confidence with platforms. I tried clipless for a while and hated them. I have one leg that's a little "off". I need to periodically move where my foot contacts the pedal front to back or I have knee problems. The key is good platforms-ones with pins. Put that together with a good pair of shoes like 5.10's and it's pretty dang hard to slip off a pedal accidentaly.

The downside is if you do slip a pedal, you'll have shin scars for life. But scars make good stories.

Egg Beaters all the way baby! If you actually like to climb like I do then it's the most efficient way to go. 'been riding clipless for many, many years.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    Egg Beaters all the way baby! If you actually like to climb like I do then it's the most efficient way to go. 'been riding clipless for many, many years.
    I agree I ride egg beaters and love em. I don't know that I would go back.

Yeah shagster, and how many times have we seen you tip over!

A shovel in one hand and an ice cold beer in the other
    I actually use both, platforms on the dh sled platform/clips on the xc
    Resident Ogden freeride park forum whore

I am going to have to jump on the egg beater bang wagon. I bought them when they were first released and have never looked back and now I am on my third pair, and my first set are still in great working condition. I will never switch to a platform pedal again, I love my pedals!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    I will ride anything but the ole strap pedals
    Oh yeah the ole strap pedals were awesome.

I ride clipless. Time Atac to be exact.

Lock 'em in. Tie me to the bike so when I eat sh!t, it can stay closeby to hit me in the back of the head when it comes back around.

I started of w/ platform and just don't like the all around performance. Then I switched to clipless. It took 1 spill because of them, but since, I feel quite proficient with the clipless pedals. I won't go back.

I rode clipless for several years, then I went downhillin Deer valley with Greyhair and freinds one time , I ordered platforms as soon as I got home!

I just bought a hardtail bike again, I put Time Atacs on it and I'll probably keep platforms on the heavy rig or maybe change out every now and then depending on the trail.

Definitely clipless - Time Atacs. Love 'em. One thing I do like about these over eggbeaters is that you have a bigger surface area so if you want to not clip in over a section you can still get some power on the pedal, so to speak.

I much prefer clipless for the uphills they allow me to get a complete pedal rotation of work, not just a push down, but a pull up as well. Much more efficient in my opinion. I also feel like I can manhandle my bike more, like to move it around and around on it while being "connected", not sure if that makes sense... but to me it does. :-)

I've never had trouble coming out of my clipless either, even with crashes when I wasnt trying.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

16. Likes accadacca liked this post
    From Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack:

[i]If you can learn to ride with flats, it

I had platform back in the BMX days. . .15-20 years ago. Yep, I could do all that stuff with them too, including bunny hopping in the back of a pickup truck with the tailgate down.

since i switched to clipless...have never had a regret...easier to climb and i feel as though i have more control on my bike. but most of my riding is cross country style riding. I actually think that half the fun is ridiing to the top of the hill!
    go get lost, it is good for the soul

anyone of you that says you have more control with your clipies than you do with your flats are riding the wrong flats... google the shinburger

Clipless here. Took me about one summer to get comfortable in them. I prefer them to platforms.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I ride with clipless.

I ride eggbeaters and love 'em, but would consider platform on the DH rides.