Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canyon Group Dynamics

Canyon Group Dynamics

Guess I am a bit of a TR snob. Pix and report on a yahoo group? I just cant go back to a moped after having a BMW. Bet you had fun. . .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't belong to that group, so I am with acca on this one.

TRs on yahoo groups...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex

TRs on yahoo groups...
    Not all yahoo groups are taboo
    You are welcome to spread the cheer here!
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_N...l_Park_Hiking/
    Nice TR and cool pics!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Guess I am a bit of a TR snob. Pix and report on a yahoo group? I just cant go back to a moped after having a BMW. Bet you had fun. . .
    Know what you mean! After driving my wifes new Volvo S60 all weekend (she was in SLC ) and then getting into my '92' Pathfinder with 300,000 miles (which wouldn't start this morning! ) I realized how spoiled a person might become! ( I doubt my wife is gonna let me drive her car again ) Oh well...sometimes it's necessary to digress!

Help, I'm not a member of Yahoo......

nevermind on the TR. I'm uneducated.

I love the pic of you climbing out of the monkey hole!
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    HAHA I'm a member of the group!

OK here you go this is the TR from the Yahoo group. I hope Matt is ok with me posting this

jaxx, etiquette says you should ask Matt before you post it.
    not sure what you were thinking

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    HAHA I'm a member of the group!

OK here you go this is the TR from the Yahoo group. I hope Matt is ok with me posting this

jaxx, etiquette says you should ask Matt before you post it.
    not sure what you were thinking
    oops. I deleted it in my first post. I wasn't thinking I guess, I thought I was just helping him not have to do more work. My apologies Matt.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Guess I am a bit of a TR snob. Pix and report on a yahoo group? No No I just cant go back to a moped after having a BMW. Ha Ha Bet you had fun. . .

Scott....its Scott isn't it? Lots folks directed me toward this post above. Glad to see your paying attention to the Yahoo after all. Moped and BMW? Perhaps fine wines would be a better way to look at it. This site you have started has many fine attributes. The energy, the banter, the ability to post such nice pictures. Like a fine 10 year old California wine. Tsk, tsk, to refer to Canyons Yahoo Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/ ; as a moped? That isn't very kind. After all imitation is the finest form of flattery. Just recently, we noted that a thread was started by one of your moderators, Rock, the idea taken from that "moped" of a group.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/43952
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11302

What was encouraging was that acknowledgment of the source occurred and credit given. This has not been the case in the past. This was a pleasant development and shows that the wine here is starting to age nicely. I wrote Rock and suggested that in addition to the appreciated acknowledgment, that a link to my original post would be good form. Although I received no reply and that was never done, I assume that he sees the "good manners" in such a course and that that courtesy would be forthcoming in the future.

Canyons group has been around a long time and provides a more serious and narrow focus on canyoneering. It is like an old and aged fine French wine. This is not to say that we didn't have some difficult times, with conflict and behaviors that were less than mature. We did indeed as a review of our extensive archives reveals.I can only say that I am pleased that our bottle of fine French wine was not opened then and allowed to age more. It would have tasted sour back then. The atmosphere is better now. We at canyons, note some of the same growing pains we experienced, over here, at times. Just one recent example would be a post being made under the name of a fellow who didn't belong to your group and who that very day was doing a canyon in Death Valley with me. All to get a photo up? Tsk, tsk.

Just yesterday another moderator of this forum, Tanya, directed the Canyons group, to this site, with a post and link...twice.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/44281
    We are comfortable enough in the quality of what we do over at Canyons, to not feel threatened by such light being shed on what many consider a competitor.
    We hope that as the wine ages over here, that the folks here will develop that same level of confidence and comfort toward us.

We invite members of this group who don't belong to Canyons Yahoo Group to come over sometime and take a look. There is great depth of experience over there. Many folks belong to both groups. I hope this will not be seen as conceited, offering up an example of a quality trip report and pictures, it being one of my own, but at least I have permission to use it. :D This from 2 days ago.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/44263
    Hope you enjoy

I am curious to see how this post will be received over here. To see if the wine is continuing to age well, or if it needs more time. Regardless, you have a fine product and much potential and I wish you well. I hope you will extend us same courtesy. Off to take a ride on my moped now.
    Ram

Ya, I tend to not get caught up in the drama of choosing one over the other. I frequent both sites, but am more of a "lurker" on the Yahoo Groups, and post occasionally. Both forums exist to the same end....to share beta, and keep in touch with friends and acquaintances within the sport. They both have their plusses and minuses....all depends on perspective. I don't like to assign one better than the other at the risk of making war, and polarizing the folks that frequent each forum. A free and open exchange of ideas is a good thing -- why burn our bridges?

Where possible I believe it a good thing to employ common courtesy when posting (ie given credit to the original author of a thread, and adding something thoughful and/or useful). I hope we can all strive for that.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM
    I hope this will not be seen as conceited, offering up an example of a quality trip report and pictures, it being one of my own, but at least I have permission to use it. :D This from 2 days ago.
    Hope you enjoy

Ram
    weird... I just got done reading that. Very good TR. I love the pics. That area is so awesome to visit!
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Ya, I tend to not get caught up in the drama of choosing one over the other.
    I didn't realize there was drama, I am just a lurker at the Yahoo group. I am not sure why that is. I guess because I don't really know anyone over there, mabey I need to make more friends.
    The man thong is wrong.

mrbrejcha, please post your TR here. I'm banned from canyons for not kissing ass.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM
    I hope this will not be seen as conceited, offering up an example of a quality trip report and pictures, it being one of my own, but at least I have permission to use it. :D This from 2 days ago.
    Hope you enjoy

Ram
    weird... I just got done reading that. Very good TR. I love the pics. That area is so awesome to visit!
    Like here, there is a long tradition of friendships made via interesting posts attracting the attention of folks and getting invites. A very recent example was Landon, shown in the pictures, who was on his first major trip with my group. He wrote an eloquent post about his brother and the advanced scout group that produced his love of the outdoors. Voila! Invite. I realize that I didn't add the link to the pictures you referred to. Here it is

Here are the 125 surviving pictures out of the 1,060 taken by Aaron and I from
    our 10 day March trip. Included are pictures from the TR sent today. Hope you enjoy
    Ram
    http://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/MarchTrip2008

Quote Originally Posted by kaptain
    I'm banned from canyons for not kissing ass.

Oh, the rivalry.

I think accadacca's point was not to offend anybody, but just to point out his opinion.

In his opinion, it is easier to have one link, and scroll down through the pictures rather than multiple links and wait for picasa to load each photo.

This doesn't mean that everybody on the Yahoo Groups are seen as enemies, competition, dimwitted, or stubborn. Some people just can't see the trip reports because they're not a member, and they don't feel like creating a membership to see the photos. This is just difficult for the fair weathered canyon lurker like myself.

To each his own.

And the moped thing, we all know they're like big women......

Quote Originally Posted by kaptain
    mrbrejcha, please post your TR here. I'm banned from canyons for not kissing ass.
    Ooh, this is too good... Kaptain, are you just another namelesscoward? Finally learning to use proxy servers are ya? I'd love to know who this person is that got "banned..." Do tell.

this whole rivalry thing is just silly.
    whats funny, is most who follow canyoneering lurk/participate on BOTH sites.

i post up more here due in part that i prefer PhpBB over yahoo groups.
    now if someone ponied up for a Vbulletin and made the 2 group one, that would be sweet.
    but the reality is that certain egos wouldnt allow that to happen, so in the end we are stuck with what we have.

just plain silly if you ask me but then again, what do i know

Quote Originally Posted by Alex

TRs on yahoo groups...
    well, if you're as interested in canyoneering as you seem to be, you might want to consider joining the Canyons Yahoo Group and the ACA Forums. all three of these forums have something different to offer as far as canyoneering goes. each has their own place.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    I'd love to know who this person is that got "banned..." Do tell.
    Sorry Crappy, I can't help you on this one.... I was never banned... moderated "yes".... banned "no"....

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    now if someone ponied up for a Vbulletin
    It's definitely being discussed.