Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: auto buying advice please!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    Maybe I'll just go without as long as I can and save up.
    I think that's what I was trying to say.... 'I would advise against buying a car with the options you listed."

If you save up more money then to options change.....

Didn't mean to offend....

Eep! That could be years really! Bum rides off friends for years? (I'd pay them gas $ of course.) Luckily in town (Logan) everything is pretty much bike-able or bus-able (it's no-fare and you can bring your bike). I could use the shuttle to get to the airport which is 2x year. It's just mainly for groceries (which I could do by bus 2x week) and biking/skiing up the canyon, and emergencies.

Sometimes I weigh myself down with logistics!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Always Option E.....

[img]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s215/3nim/****this-stripper.jpg[/img]

I would second the Toyota's. . .that is all I buy. Maybe if I feel highbrow someday I might pick up a Lexus.

My Toyota's have loads of miles and never do me wrong. My T-100 has 230,000 and my Cruiser has 130,000. But I put all my money in the two wheeled variety.

I agree with most of what Ice said but sometime you gotta get by with a cheap car even temporarily until you can get into a real car. I bought two geo metros for my older boys within the last year or so and they are still running...paid less than 2K for either of them. The problem you run into is always repairs $$ I replaced an engine and tranny in one of them to get it primo and they are both still running well...but .
    A good mechanic friend is always helpful if you can get one to come along with you to check out the used car scene. NEVER talk payments with a salesman first...bad idea! AND, if you have a credit union they are very decent to work with on payments if you have to. Keep them at NO MORE THAN 3 years. If you go more than that you might as well as save you lots of time and buy new. Yeah, can't tell Im a dad can you

Thanks everyone!

My dad at one time own FIVE Renault Alliances . He paid about $2,000 for the five of them total (not all at once). I think they were death traps on wheels! He also spent his weekends under the car fixing stuff. One of them was purely for parts.

I would sell my Nissan Pathfinder 97 with 110 k miles and plenty left. 4x4 works great... around the 4k range/
    Ouch my freaking ears....

Don't understand my avatar? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQzIg0CPW5Q

I didn't explore this option, but what about using student loan money?

I'm in school so my old loans are in deferment. The interest rate is low. I'd only need $3000 or less. I actually pay cash for my tuition now (and haven't used loans yet), but thought this may be an option.

My sister did it but I cannot get a hold her for more explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    I didn't explore this option, but what about using student loan money?

I'm in school so my old loans are in deferment. The interest rate is low. I'd only need $3000 or less. I actually pay cash for my tuition now (and haven't used loans yet), but thought this may be an option.

My sister did it but I cannot get a hold her for more explanation.
    I did something similar to this when I started college many moons ago. My 4Runner broke, it needed work but still was drivable. Right around this same time I got my student loan papers and I decided to borrow the max they would lend which gave me about $1500 more than my tuition and books that semester. I used that money to get my 4Runner running again.

At the time it seemed like a good option but looking back it wasn