Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How well do you know Southern Utah?

(native) conifers in zion are primarily
    I believe that have Engelman Spruce on the higher elevation plateaus as well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I believe that have Engelman Spruce on the higher elevation plateaus as well.
    i would be interested to find out if this is true. i wasn't sure if zion was high enough.

i do know that zion also has (native) singleleaf pinyon as well

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by utahfan View Post
    Hi

I think this is not the onliest sequoia gigantea in souther Utah; I know two or three south of the border of the Bryce Canyon on the ground of friends of us there near Cannonville;

all the best
    Utahfan
    According to thane that's northern utah. southern utah starts at a latitude below the black ridge.

i would be interested to find out if this is true. i wasn't sure if zion was high enough.
    There are Engelmann Spruce on the road to Smith Cabin, though it's possible that they are just outside the park boundary. There are also Engelmann Spruce in the hills north of Kolob Reservoir, though those are outside the park boundary. There are Engelmann Spruce on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, which about the same elevation as the highest parts of Zion. Engelmanns are also present in Bryce Canyon and even the highpoint in Bryce is less than 400 feet higher than the highest parts of Zion and the highest elevations in Zion are probably wetter as well. Shaded areas above 8000 feet should be just high enough, but some could possibly even survive lower in shaded canyons.

There are Engelmann Spruce on the road to Smith Cabin, though it's possible that they are just outside the park boundary. There are also Engelmann Spruce in the hills north of Kolob Reservoir, though those are outside the park boundary. There are Engelmann Spruce on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, which about the same elevation as the highest parts of Zion.
    my original list were typical conifers within the boundaries of the park and most of the park is below 7200', however, you certainly are right that there could very well be some in the various high plateaus in the kolob canyon section of the park (possibly other high elevation conifers). i'll have to check this out sometime.

even the highpoint in Bryce is less than 400 feet lower than the highest parts of Zion and the highest elevations in Zion are probably wetter as well. Shaded areas above 8000 feet should be just high enough, but some could possibly even survive lower in shaded canyons.
    did you mean 400' higher or are you extending beyond the boundary of the park?

did you mean 400' higher or are you extending beyond the boundary of the park?
    I meant higher. Typo. Oops.

my original list were typical conifers within the boundaries of the park and most of the park is below 7200', however, you certainly are right that there could very well be some in the various high plateaus in the kolob canyon section of the park (possibly other high elevation conifers).
    Yes; I thought you might be interested.

================================================== ================================================== ====

Anyway, here's a good one for those interested. Where is there a small forest or at least a grove of Douglas Firs in the Robbers Roost Region? Kelsey mentions that there's a few Douglas Firs in the Middle Fork of Robbers Roost Canyon, but it's only a few trees and not enough to be a forest or grove. There is at least one more location in the Robbers Roost area with a forest/grove of Douglas Firs.

Wow, quite surprising to see a Sequoia Gigantus in Utah. Pretty sure you don't have any S. Semperivens though (Coast Redwood or California Redwood). They like it wet and temperate and grow in my yard. I think Bo's answer of Redwood was actually just as acceptable as "Sequoia" as one of the common names for the Sequoia Giganteum is Sierra Redwood and the family of the two is equally Sequoias or Redwoods.

While the Giant is bigger in volume the Coast is taller and IMO more graceful in proportions.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

There is another sequoia in front of Frontier Plunder in Springdale, that's the shop next to Bit & Spur.

Win

The one in Browse last year:

Last edited by Win; 04-04-2010 at 06:05 AM.
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    Wow, quite surprising to see a Sequoia Gigantus in Utah.
    there are a few planted in the salt lake valley, some are on the university of utah campus. also, reno has them planted all over the place along the streets as well as in folks' yards.

While the Giant is bigger in volume the Coast is taller and IMO more graceful in proportions.
    the coast redwood is one of the most beautiful trees, imo

There are two here in Ogden. Both are about 60 -70 ft tall.