Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from France !

Hello from France !

Hello,

I'm Philippe from France, please excuse my mistakes in English language.

As the Southwest (especially Utah and Arizona) is my passion, I spend almost all my vacation in this amazing country. I enjoy to visit and to hike places off the beatten path (I only do day hiking and non technical canyoneering in the USA). I'am also interested in Indian ruins and rock-art.

Now that I own a digital camera (since 2006), I can show some of my modest pictures on my website ww.phschuler.com (they were taken in jpeg with a bridge camera Sony R1). I have hundreds of paper pictures of the Southwest taken before 2006, but I should need years to scan and post-process them. Among very good photographers who show their pictures on Bogley, Carpey Biggs / Dan Ransom is one of my heroes !

I collaborated a lot to the guidebooks "Photographing the Southwest" from my friend Laurent Martres (there are 3 volumes, the first one is about Utah), maybe some of you have got them. I am also the co-author of a french website specialized on visiting the Southwest : www.westusa.fr.

I am happy to have several American friends in Utah (Moab, Escalante, Cedar City...), Arizona, California and New Mexico. Once, I was lucky to met Tanya from Bogley who is wellknown in Europe by the lovers of the Southwest because of her excellent website www.zionnational-park.com
    (here is a picture http://www.phschuler.com/usa2006/FRI...0Junction.html )

I enjoy Bogley for the interesting information, nice reports and good pictures that can be found there ... and maybe during a next trip will I have a chance to meet some of its friendly members in the wilderness.

Philippe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Howdy & Welcome

All the way from France! Woah, now we can't crack French jokes

Just kidding! Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy your stay!

Any trips planned for Utah?

Thank you !

Unlike you JP, not too much off road for me with rental SUV !

Philippe

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    All the way from France! Woah, now we can't crack French jokes

Just kidding! Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy your stay!

Any trips planned for Utah?
    Hi Alex,

I always enjoy my stays in Utah.

For the next summer, my wife wanted a trip in North California, Oregon and Washington State. However, I will land before her in Los Angeles and I will have a few days days in California, Nevada, North Arizona and maybe Southern Utah, before going to pick up her at San Francisco airport.

But I will come back for sure for longer trips in Utah !

Philippe

Hi Phillippe. Welcome to the site. I've known of you for some time, because of your collaboration on the Laurent Martres books, which are a must have for most folks photographing the southwest. The new editions are excellent, very well done. Thanks for you work on those. Also, I've been to your site more than a few times. Awesome stuff, indeed.

You know people on here have been trying to find your secret locations in the last little while... Now they can ask the source

Glad to see you posting here, you will be a great resource!

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe
    Unlike you JP, not too much off road for me with rental SUV
    Did someone say rental

Maybe it will be better for you that you hide the license plate number of that rental car

Welcome to the site from Utah!!! Nice to have you!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Hi Phillippe. Welcome to the site. I've known of you for some time, because of your collaboration on the Laurent Martres books, which are a must have for most folks photographing the southwest. The new editions are excellent, very well done. Thanks for you work on those. Also, I've been to your site more than a few times. Awesome stuff, indeed.

You know people on here have been trying to find your secret locations in the last little while... Now they can ask the source

Glad to see you posting here, you will be a great resource!
    Hi Dan,

Thank you Dan, I'm glad that you appreciate Photographing the Southwest guidebooks (Laurent was kind to write some nice words about me in the aknowledgements section and to include some of my pictures) but I'm really surprised that a great photographer like you has already been several times on my website and appreciated my basic photography.

I will be pleased to give information about "off the beaten path" places if people ask for... unless I have promised to locals who asked me to not disclose an information they gave me (only for a very few Indian sites).

Philippe

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Quote Originally Posted by Philippe
    Unlike you JP, not too much off road for me with rental SUV
    Did someone say rental

Welcome to the site Phillipe!

I remember a few years ago, I was just outside of Virginia City, Nevada in a rental S-10 blazer. I noticed a truck coming down from a fairly steep dirt road so I pulled up next to them to ask how the trail was. They told me something to the effect that it was a nice and enjoyable 4x4 trail and then asked "You're not going to go up there in that, are you?". I responded simply; "It's a rental", to which they replied; "Oooooh.".
    I guess it's just common knowledge that rental cars are subject more abuse than one which is individually owned.
    As far as I know, we didn't do any damage to that little S-10 but we sure enjoyed trying.
    My compliments on your use of the Liberty.

Hi Bbenett,

For foreigners like me the problem is that we HAVE to subscribe the insurances of the rental company (American citizens can use the insurances of their own car) and in their policies the rental companies say that there are no more insurances out of paved roads. It is why most of europeans take less risk as possible outside of paved roads with their rental car.

Welcome to the madness also known as Bogley. I'm finding this website a nice fit for me. I hope you find it the same for you!! Maybe see you out there on the trails!

By the way: I have a passion for France. One of my favorite countries. Maybe we can trade houses for a month? HAHA!!

Quote Originally Posted by bbennett
    My compliments on your use of the Liberty.
    Thanks I actually was pretty easy on it and there were a few places I wanted to stick it, but I was good

I opted out of these places

Yo, yo. . .you now in da hood.

Hi Philippe, and welcome!

As a foreigner as well, I'll just clarify that Canadians can use their insurance on rentals in the US as well. I still don't think they want us to take them off the road, though...

My rental shots:

Et maintenant, possiblement nous pouvons commencer

[quote=Cirrus2000]

Et maintenant, possiblement nous pouvons commencer

Welcome to Bogley!! Nice to see new people joining up all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    I put that into a translation widget, and it says that you said, "My hovercraft is full of eels."
    Dang, I thought I said "Remove your panties, Sir William, I can not wait until lunch."

Ah, gotta love Python...