Thread: South American Trekking suggestions?

South American Trekking suggestions?

Hey guys,

This is very premature but I'll ask you guys anyhow, hoping someone will have a little insight on what I am wanting to do.
    I've been really interested in taking my 13 year old and myself on a South American trek within the next year or so. Of course the obvious trail is the Inca trail to Machu Picchu but I'm unsure of this one b/c it seems quite crowded and not very well regulated.

Question:

Any other recommended treks besides the Inca trail?

Any reputable tour companies that you have used?

The internet is FULL of info but it's hard to know who to use.

Thanks to those who can help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Alison, I don't know anything about South America, but why do you choose that continent unless there is something there you want to see? I had friends who went to Ecuador, including Galapagos Islands, but have no idea how much hiking was involved.

Have you considered New Zealand? When we were there, hiking to Milford sound was said to be a great experience. They also have some mountains, up to 10k ft.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

I have this huge problem Sparker1. I want to see the whole world and I've wanted to see Machu Picchu forever but it just looks like it's become so crowded (from research I've done) and I don't want to be another tourist to add to the environmental damage. :( However I'd love to lay foot on the longest mountain range in the world, the Andes and do something along the lines of a 4 day backpack/trek. It's been on my top 10 list of places to go so that's why I want to go down that way.......NZ is on my top 10 list also...so many places to go, so little time and money. Knocking em off one at a time.

Don't forget to visit a shaman. Ayahuasca anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Don't forget to visit a shaman. Ayahuasca anyone?
    Maybe they can hook me up with some love potion. Ayahuasca....isn't this a hallucinogen? I'm sure my father and my son would appreciate "mom being a little out of control" thanks to the shaman's special concotion.

Have you been trekking in S. America Carp? feedback please.

I haven't been, but I am currently in the planning stages for a possible trip over thanksgiving. We are planning on seeing the andes, possibly Macchu Picchu, and some of the amazon. I'll definitely collaborate with you as more of it gets planned, if you'd be interested.

You could contact Scott Patterson via email as well. He used to post on this site, and he has done some pretty cool stuff down there, including being buried in ash after a volcano he was hiking on erupted...

He posts on summitpost.org as Scot5280 and on the yahoo "canyons" group.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    I haven't been, but I am currently in the planning stages for a possible trip over thanksgiving. We are planning on seeing the andes, possibly Macchu Picchu, and some of the amazon. I'll definitely collaborate with you as more of it gets planned, if you'd be interested.

You could contact Scott Patterson via email as well. He used to post on this site, and he has done some pretty cool stuff down there, including being buried in ash after a volcano he was hiking on erupted...

He posts on summitpost.org as Scot5280 and on the yahoo "canyons" group.
    Cool. Keep me posted. I've found a couple of reputable tour companies I am thinking about using. Definately let me know who you end up using if you go. We'll expect TR's!! I'll be in Asia over Thanksgiving so we are thinking well over a year out for a S. America trip. I've been looking at the trek over Cordillera Blanca as one that could work but shit! If we are going all that way to SAmerica, Machu Picchu still beckons me........

Volcano ashes could be cool.

I've been down to South America a few times. More hiking & climbing than trekking, but I'll offer what I can.

-Ecuador was terrific. The food was decent, the scenery was nice, and the people were cool. Quito isn't as dumpy as I'd expected it to be (based on what I'd heard). We climbed volcanoes, so I never made it to the rainforest or anything. A nice country that I'd like to return to (I've been twice).

-Argentina was nice; rather European in many ways. They pride themselves on their steaks and wine. They also have a lot of big mountains. We spent a couple weeks in the mountains, so I never got to do much in the way of touring around the civilized areas. Lots of potential for quality treks down there.

-Peru was my favorite. Again, more hiking and climbing than trekking for me. The Inca Trail, the little bit of it that I saw, was wonderful. Macchu Picchu is unforgettable. I spent two days near the site, based out of Aguas Calientes. If you go early, early in the morning, you'll likely have the place to yourself. I showed up right at dawn, paid one of the security guys $20US and got a personalized tour of the whole site. Take the time to hike up Huayna Picchu while you're there.

I love the South American scene.

Didn't use any tour groups or anything. I've always done all the organizing myself.

CP

Re: ****

Quote Originally Posted by cp0915
    I've been down to South America a few times. More hiking & climbing than trekking, but I'll offer what I can.

-Ecuador was terrific. The food was decent, the scenery was nice, and the people were cool. Quito isn't as dumpy as I'd expected it to be (based on what I'd heard). We climbed volcanoes, so I never made it to the rainforest or anything. A nice country that I'd like to return to (I've been twice).

-Argentina was nice; rather European in many ways. They pride themselves on their steaks and wine. They also have a lot of big mountains. We spent a couple weeks in the mountains, so I never got to do much in the way of touring around the civilized areas. Lots of potential for quality treks down there.

-Peru was my favorite. Again, more hiking and climbing than trekking for me. The Inca Trail, the little bit of it that I saw, was wonderful. Macchu Picchu is unforgettable. I spent two days near the site, based out of Aguas Calientes. If you go early, early in the morning, you'll likely have the place to yourself. I showed up right at dawn, paid one of the security guys $20US and got a personalized tour of the whole site. Take the time to hike up Huayna Picchu while you're there.

Didn't use any tour groups or anything. I've always done all the organizing myself.

CP

Wondering.....did you hit up Macchu Picchu before 2003? B/C now there is a permit required to see it from what I understand. Only 500 people allowed a day at the sight and on the Inca trail. No longer are solo explorers allowed?? Mandatory guided tours now. So that's everything that I have been reading online??? Just curious. When I do travel I normally don't do tours. I plan it all myself and piece it together which is my preference. Given that we are only able to do about a 10 day excursion, I'm trying to find a reasonable itinerary. What I wouldn't give to take off a few months and just go play.....:) Thanks so much for your input.

Re: ****

Quote Originally Posted by cp0915

CP

Wondering.....did you hit up Macchu Picchu before 2003? B/C now there is a permit required to see it from what I understand. Only 500 people allowed a day at the sight and on the Inca trail. No longer are solo explorers allowed?? Mandatory guided tours now. So that's everything that I have been reading online??? Just curious. When I do travel I normally don't do tours. I plan it all myself and piece it together which is my preference. Given that we are only able to do about a 10 day excursion, I'm trying to find a reasonable itinerary. What I wouldn't give to take off a few months and just go play.....:) Thanks so much for your input.

Hmmm, the Peru trip was right around 2002/2003 or so. Somewhere in there. Definitely no permits needed when I went.

No longer are solo explorers allowed?? Mandatory guided tours now.
    Yes; everyone has to go with a group to do the Inca Trail now; no exceptions.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've actually been to Latin America many times (this year's trip will be my 10th time), but only used a guide for a few peaks in Ecuador and the trek to the Colca so I can't really give much advice on tour companies.

Anyway if you want to get a little off the beaten track, the Colca Canyon is nice. Here is a quick trip report:

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-repor...s-in-Peru.html

We paid a little less than $30 a day including guide, cook, food, tents, transportation, mules to carry everything, etc. We went with Zarate and they were great. Their website is below:

http://www.zarateadventures.com/

They will give you lots of choices of where to go choose from and you just pick and choose your own dates and places to go and they are flexible. The treks we happened to choose are on the trip report above.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've actually been to Latin America many times (this year's trip will be my 10th time), but only used a guide for a few peaks in Ecuador and the trek to the Colca so I can't really give much advice on tour companies.

Anyway if you want to get a little off the beaten track, the Colca Canyon is nice. Here is a quick trip report:

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-repor...s-in-Peru.html

We paid a little less than $30 a day including guide, cook, food, tents, transportation, mules to carry everything, etc. We went with Zarate and they were great. Their website is below:

http://www.zarateadventures.com/

They will give you lots of choices of where to go choose from and you just pick and choose your own dates and places to go and they are flexible. The treks we happened to choose are on the trip report above.
    Hey Scott! Welcome back!

I read your father son adventures in Peru some time ago. GREAT read...what a trip ~ especially the volcanic activity! How scary and exciting! Thanks for the guide link. The Inca Trail is something I've wanted to do too...ever since I was a kid.
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

We decided on doing the Inca Trail Sept 09, which YES you have to do with a guide. So in January, this tour company files for permits when they come available, which is once a year and we will be good to go. Looking forward to this as I will be on this adventure with my oldest son and my father.

I'm excited!!!

http://www.adventure-life.com/peru/p...our/MPP10.php5

[quote="Scott P"]

quote]

GREAT PHOTOS WITH YOUR KIDDO!!!!!!!!!!!! The exposure our children receive to other cultures is invaluable. I am a firm believer in experiencing all that we can from an early age. And it's up to us as parents to accomplish this. Great job dad!!