Thread: Zion Camping Locations???

Zion Camping Locations???

Hey I am going down to Zion at the end of the month to do some camping. I know a lot of people on this site know Zion much better than I do. I was looking to see if any of you know of any good campsites just outside of Zion?

I would like to find a campsite that I do not have to pay to camp there, and than more specifically does not make me feel like I am at a KOA.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here are 2 spots that I've used near Zion. Nothing too scenic but free and I've always had them to myself when camping.

camping near zion

Thank you for that.

Assuming nobody else any anything they really recommend strongly, I will plan on checking these out.

There is a place called mosquito cove. I believe it is about mile marker 24 or 25. It is on the south side of the road a couple miles east of springdale. That is the only place I have camped besides in the zoo area they call a campground. It is free and it is primitive.
    The man thong is wrong.

Cool. Thanks Jaxx.

Here are 3 spots kind of close to Zion I tend to camp at:

37.23966892789307, -113.20485770702362 Smith Mesa - Better in warm weather since it's higher elevation, quick, easy access from the highway.

37.227338486880925, -113.11535239219666 Guacamole Trailhead - far off the highway, nice & quiet, dirt road access.

37.17114903799202, -113.08176577091217 Coalpits Wash Trailhead - just off highway, but if you come in late, nobody's there, and you just want to crash, it's great. Watch for deep sand as you get further down the short road.

There is a ton of camping on the Gooseberry Mesa South of the highway, accessible from Rockville, or the highway leading to Colorado City, these sites are popular with bikers there to ride in the area.

Just paste the coordinates into google maps for a quick view of the location.
    Mike

I don't know if it's permitted any longer, as this was several years ago, but our Boy Scout unit camped for free in a pasture at Grafton, the ghost town on the south side of the Virgin River near Rockville. That was a pretty cool experience.
    "All roads, all codes!"

If you want a campground setting; that is, having other nearby campers then go for mosquito cove. You'll be close to Rt 9 and subject to any highway sounds at night.

If you're doing hiking off of the Kolob Terrace Rd, then your best bet would be to camp along the dirt Smith Mesa Rd that branches left from Kolob Terrace. I think you have to drive up about a mile from the junction before leaving the park and the obvious roadside campsites show up.

For camping closest to Springdale and Zion, go right on Bridge St (last street headed east) in Rockville, cross the bridge and head up the dirt road 1.5 miles to the Eagle Crags TH where you'll find a campsite. Or continue on asphault to the Smithsonian Butte Biway which also becomes dirt. Don't take the road to Grafton. At the initial start of the Biway there are campsites by the wash as mentioned in an earlier post. Or continue up the hill for a total of 3 miles from the bridge. Many campsites on the right. More campsites a few tenths down the road on the left.

I'm usually solo so i pack up my tent/gear each day. Large groups such as the bikers seem to leave their camp intact while out for the day.

All the above were easily reachable via 2wd rental earlier this month. Wet weather before or during your arrival could change things.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman70
    I don't know if it's permitted any longer, as this was several years ago, but our Boy Scout unit camped for free in a pasture at Grafton, the ghost town on the south side of the Virgin River near Rockville. That was a pretty cool experience.
    Last I recall, As of two or three years ago, camping at Grafton not permitted. But, as Erial mentioned, if you took the other junction on the same dirt road you could camp on the way to Eagle Crags.

Bogley BigShot
    And there are of course commerical places too. Is the wife going?

i camped at this one:

37.227338486880925, -113.11535239219666 Guacamole Trailhead - far off the highway, nice & quiet, dirt road access.

last weekend, it was prime! and hammock friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    And there are of course commerical places too. Is the wife going?
    Sorry Tanya, missed this one.

I am planning on taking my wife and son down to Zion at least a few times this year. I love Zion but the "Zion Campground" is just too much like a KOA, so all of these responses have been great. Thanks guys.

Mosquito Cove is the one I've heard about. Cops wait in the bushes to bust the pot smokers too!

"Located on the south side of Highway 9 between the 23 and 24 mile markers (just before the 24 mile marker)"

I like camping at Red Cliffs. It is a fee campground ($8?) but you have those cool little hikes just behind the camp area like Red Reef Trail and mountain biking right from the campground.

http://www.redcliffsdesertreserve.co.../Redcliffs.pdf