Thread: high spur and camping

high spur and camping

so I am heading down to do High Spur in late April. I'm wondering if anyone knows a nice camp spot for the night before. On the map there appears to be a primitive campsite near the drill hole... anyone bedded down there? Also wondering about bringing a mtn bike and planting it at the exit for that 4x4 trail back to the vehicle... how do-able is that trail (road) for a jeep cherokee?

p.s. anyone else going to the canyoneering lecture tonight at REI in Sandy?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The road out to the exit is definitely doable for a mtn bike, and 95% sure your Cherokee could make it no prob. A year ago while hiking with Dan on foot back to the trailhead, the road was in good shape, and we bumped into some dude out there who had driven his Ram Van almost to the exit.

We did the hike in April as well.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    The road out to the exit is definitely doable for a mtn bike, and 95% sure your Cherokee could make it no prob. A year ago while hiking with Dan on foot back to the trailhead, the road was in good shape, and we bumped into some dude out there who had driven his Ram Van almost to the exit.

We did the hike in April as well.
    great beta, thanks. do you recall if there was water in April?

Last April it was BONE DRY. But the latest beta I got (a few weeks ago) says that there's a small pool (knee deep) just under the first drop. The lower section was dry.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Re: high spur and camping

Quote Originally Posted by skytang
    p.s. anyone else going to the canyoneering lecture tonight at REI in Sandy?
    I'm thinking that most of the SLC Bogley crowd will be here tonight.

Bogley Unplugged
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10802

All are welcome.

Water comes and goes with the latest storm. A week ago there was one pothole chest deep and the rest was dry.... but that can change fast.

The Drill Hole is a descent camp spot. Should have no problem in any real 4x4 unless the road has washed out from a recent storm. Mountain bike would work, but you can walk the road nearly as fast as you can set up a shuttle so time wise you probably gain little.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Water comes and goes with the latest storm. A week ago there was one pothole chest deep and the rest was dry.... but that can change fast.

The Drill Hole is a descent camp spot. Should have no problem in any real 4x4 unless the road has washed out from a recent storm. Mountain bike would work, but you can walk the road nearly as fast as you can set up a shuttle so time wise you probably gain little.

good thought... the temp at this time of year will be ideal for the walk back... this is only my 2nd year canyoneering, and last year it seemed that every walk out was a struggle with the 100+ degree heat. Thanks for the heads up on the water.

If you camp at the drill hole you will actually be doing the boring part of the road hike in the morning, first thing. These types of hikes always seem much shorter and faster in the morning.

High Spur is a good noob canyon, you can pretty much reverse and escape from just about anywhere in the canyon..... and it's a very camera friendly route.

My take so far on High Spur water is that the route has the potential to hold massive amounts of water..... but it also appears to drain out really fast.

Last year we camped at good spots right near the Hans Flat ranger station. Killer views out the spur road for sunset looking east into canyonlands. High Spur is suuuuper pretty in good light. Muy bueno.

http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=10

Is High Spur a good day out? Fun canyon, or are the slot portions short and intense, kinda like Zebra? The pics are very attractive, but it seems like I've seen a couple of mediocre reviews as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jb
    but it seems like I've seen a couple of mediocre reviews as well.
    Depends on what you are looking for.....

High Spur is a very pretty canyon with lots of photo opportunities. Some have compared it to Antelope in beauty. The canyon is technically easy as far as tech canyons are concerned, it has a couple easy down climbs and a couple rappels. If you are more interested in hardcore canyoneering with lots of physical climbing and high stemming this is not the canyon for you. If you are the type that enjoys swirling slots with warm light bouncing off the walls you will probably really like High Spur.

I have noticed that High Spur has more then it's share of photo's in the Best of 2007 Canyoneering Pictures.
    http://bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9751

I also noticed that the only negative TR's I have seen on the canyon all came from the same group who did the route together. After talking with some of the group here is what I got.... They actually entered through a side door and did not do a true top to bottom trip down the slot. The group is more your physical climbing and high stemming crowd. The group did the route in winter with poor lighting. The group was not your shutterbug crowd.

Anyhoo.... that's the general gist of the deal. I really liked the slot. The slot is beginner friendly with competent leadership.

High Spur Beta
    http://climb-utah.com/Roost/highspur.htm

swirling slots with warm light
    Yep, that. Thanks that's helpful. Mostly I want to feel like I'm in a canyon though, even if it's not always tight. Not as much interested in a long wash hike with a couple o' quick nice parts.

Mostly I want to feel like I'm in a canyon though, even if it's not always tight. Not as much interested in a long wash hike with a couple o' quick nice parts.
    Not a problem.... this is a deep narrow slot. The canyon feel is ever in question. This is one of those slots where you can touch both walls at the same time for a good portion of your trip.

swirling slots with warm light
    Yep, that. Thanks that's helpful. Mostly I want to feel like I'm in a canyon though, even if it's not always tight. Not as much interested in a long wash hike with a couple o' quick nice parts.
    It is definitely a canyon. Zebra, is not so much (literally 150 feet of good slot)... High Spur is actual canyon for a pretty long ways. It's a good half day party. There are legitimately 4 unique areas in there that I found very aesthetic. There is a nice collapsed wall/subway section that is cool near the end, and lights up nice. There is the "corkscrew" section which is maybe a couple hundred yards and very antelope canyonish, with awesome light when I went. There is the very first section which is narrow, but not too, and it forms a big half circle in the watercourse that is at least a few hundred yards. Plus, the last rappel is fun, especially for noobs.

But, yeah, it is not intense in any way. I would consider it at least 3 times more fun than East leprechaun or the blarneys though, and much more aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Last April it was BONE DRY. But the latest beta I got (a few weeks ago) says that there's a small pool (knee deep) just under the first drop. The lower section was dry.
    That pool is nearly gone, you'll be able to walk around it with no problem.
    Praying for a precision-type earthquake.