Thread: Hiking in NV! Red Rock and Valley of fire.

Hiking in NV! Red Rock and Valley of fire.

I went to visit family in Vegas this past weekend, 3/29-3/31 and since we were in the warm 65+ weather we had to go hiking, of course. Their house was near Charleston and Merialdo (I think) so it was a quick drive to Red Rock rec area.
    With two under 2 and two dogs we decided to take it easy and do the Lost Creek hike. It was about a mile long loop and took us up to a nice little waterfall and pool. The kids took off their shoes and cooled off in the shallow pool and waterfall. My daughter decided that she had to pee right there and then so I helped her lean against a boulder and let a rip. This was about 10 ft from the trail but we pulled it off without anyone noticing, I hope they don't drink that water!

On the way home we stopped off at Valley Of Fire. Beautiful area! We did the mouse's tank hike that was recommended by some members on here. It was a fantastic hike. I think it was about a 1/2 mile round trip for the main trail. You end at a little dryfall that was filled with stank water and a ton of bees. We climbed to the left and up and over the rocks and made our way down on the other side of the dryfall. We decided to get water and a snack in some shade about 150 ft from the dryfall and we were getting swarmed by bees. We decided it was a good time to turn around. This hike had more petroglyphs just in one spot than I have seen my entire life. There were a ton of big walls filled with petros and then if you looked close you could find them just about anywhere on the north eastish side of the canyon. It was a very sandy hike and it took us forever because my 21 month old decided that riding in my backpack wasn't fun anymore and she wanted to walk. She had to stop every 5 feet and play with the sand. I definitely want to get back down there again.

In both places it looked like there were a few areas that you might get a good canyoneering route in. Most of the canyons looked pretty open kindof like mystery in the redrocks area.

Coming home I was happy to see that most of the snow was gone already. The temps were disappointing though.
    The man thong is wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I forgot to mention that my wife forgot to bring our camera so we didn't get any pictures, I may have forgotten it but I couldn't blame myself for such an atrocity. I don't want to disappoint so here are some pics that I ripped of from other people.

VOF
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/72/19...635012.jpg?v=0
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/76/19...91b4cb.jpg?v=0

Red Rock
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    I forgot to mention that my wife forgot to bring our camera so we didn't get any pictures, I may have forgotten it but I couldn't blame myself for such an atrocity. I don't want to disappoint so here are some pics that I ripped of from other people.
    Forget camera? I'm not sure I understand...

1. Cameras
    2. Abby's camera
    3. Mitchell's camera
    4. Clothes and stuff
    5... hmm. Oh, yeah, car keys!

Nice writeup.

. . .And GREAT photos!

Great write up!!

Here are some pictures that I took when we stopped by there on our way home from Zion in January:
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    Forget camera? I'm not sure I understand...

1. Cameras
    2. Abby's camera
    3. Mitchell's camera
    4. Clothes and stuff
    5... hmm. Oh, yeah, car keys!
    I grabbed the video camera bag and I thought the other camera was in it because there was a buldge about the size of a camera in there. Turns out the buldge was from the battery charger.

Felicia, thanks for the pics. Those are awesome. I love how red the rock is there. It seemed like it was a brighter red than I have seen in Utah. Mabey that is because I haven't seen red rock for 4 months though.
    The man thong is wrong.

Great read! Fun for the whole family!
    I like Valley of Fire, a lot! I've been there 13 times in a row dissecting the park section by section and was never disappointed each time.
    I fully recommend a return trip. hiker/scrambler's paradise. cheers!
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Quote Originally Posted by Rented mule
    Great read! Fun for the whole family!
    I like Valley of Fire, a lot! I've been there 13 times in a row dissecting the park section by section and was never disappointed each time.
    I fully recommend a return trip. hiker/scrambler's paradise. cheers!
    ya, I definitely want to hit it again. It is just so flippling long of a drive. I will probably only get there when we pass going to Cali or Vegas.
    The man thong is wrong.