Thread: North Wash Conditions

North Wash Conditions

Just got back from a weekend in North Wash. The canyons were all extremely dry over the weekend. We ended up doing Arscenic, Slideanide, Constrychnine, Lucky Charms, Monkey Business, All of the Leprechauns, and Adobe Swale. All of them were quite dry; the only small spots with water were easily avoidable.

However, on Sunday, the wind had gusts up to 40mph, and we did run into patches of rain; some pretty hard. Don't know how much came down, so that might have changed the dryness of the canyons.

The mountains were getting hammered on the way back to Colorado. We made it through (in one of the worst driving conditions I have ever done) just about a half hour prior to them closing Vail pass.

The roads to the Poison Springs canyons were fine; could be made in a passenger car. Easy with higher clearance. The Monkey Business road was in decent shape, with a few spots that would require slow travel or possible reconstruction for a passenger car. Decent with high clearance. The Leps and Lucky charms are obviously easy for any vehicle. Adobe Swale had a few rougher spots, but was similar to the Monkey Business road. (slow with passenger, decent with high clearance.) If you are driving to the lower trailhead for a car shuttle, higher clearance is recommended (or not caring about the underside of your vehicle as there is some overgrown brush; but the road is in decent shape.)

TR and pics to come later.

Hope that helps,
    A.J.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the TR AJ, look foreward to the pics!

Thanks for the update AJ, it was good seeing you this weekend. Glad those passes let you through... Things were nasty on Sunday and Monday with crazy winds and sandblasting galore.

I went to Escalante for a couple days, and everything out there seems very dry as well. The Egypts are dry, and Ram says Choprock has been significantly changed around, so even with high water, it was relatively safe. I ran out to Zebra this morning, and what was a 100 foot swim last time I was out there is now completely filled in with sand.

Glad you had a good time! Can't wait to see photos. I ended up bailing on my huttrip last minute b/c I was SO tired of the snow and couldn't bring myself to remain cold much longer. So I went out to Goblin valley this past weekend and took my kiddos to do LWHcanyon loop. Was slightly crowded (which I was warned by Alex) but it was Ok. Being in warm weather does alot for my soul.

Vail pass.....ugh!!! BAD! VERY BAD!! I did get caught in that nasty weather over Vail pass on my way home from a class in Denver too. Ended up staying in Silverthorn on Monday night. Very sad....the outcome of that 70 car pile up.

Anyhow.....I'm rambling away. Must get sleep!!

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Glad you had a good time! Can't wait to see photos. I ended up bailing on my huttrip last minute b/c I was SO tired of the snow and couldn't bring myself to remain cold much longer. So I went out to Goblin valley this past weekend and took my kiddos to do LWHcanyon loop. Was slightly crowded (which I was warned by Alex) but it was Ok. Being in warm weather does alot for my soul.

Vail pass.....ugh!!! BAD! VERY BAD!! I did get caught in that nasty weather over Vail pass on my way home from a class in Denver too. Ended up staying in Silverthorn on Monday night. Very sad....the outcome of that 70 car pile up.

Just glad to hear you weren't part of the 70 car pileup!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Quote Originally Posted by abirken

Just glad to hear you weren't part of the 70 car pileup!
    Funny thing is, if I would have left my conference when I wanted to, which was earlier.......I could have been. But I had co-workers talk me into staying.