Thread: Buckskin, Hackberry and HooDoos - March 27-29

Buckskin, Hackberry and HooDoos - March 27-29

We headed south this weekend. There were five of us, two of my brothers, my son and a niece. We left Thursday afternoon and arrived at the Stateline Campground, near the North Coyote Buttes area, around 8:00 pm. The campground was pretty nice. There are only 4 sites, two in Arizona and two in Utah. The Arizona sites were nicer with a pavilion and a table. The Utah sites only had a fire ring. But it was free. We got the last site on the Utah side.

Our plan was to go to the Paria Ranger station in the morning to join the lottery for the 10 next-day permits to the Wave formation. We pulled up to the ranger station and the parking lot was full. Just our luck, they set an all-time record for the number of people wanting permits. There were 97 people in the running for the 10 permits. Just the weekend before there were only 34 people. I would guess that
    Attached Images Attached Images                   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That looks awesome, thanks for the TR, where did you drive from?

Nice TR Corey, thanks for sharing. I liked the photos a lot. No worries about posting many pictures. Here at Bogley we say, why post a few when you can post them all.

I did Hackberry from Round Valley Draw to Cottonwood wash a few years back as an overnighter. It is a great canyon, very remote. You can read the Trip Report here:
    Hackberry Canyon October 2005

James

Yes, nice TR.

If ever in doubt, err on the side of too many photos!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

There were 97 people in the running for the 10 permits.

Nice photos

Awesome pics!!! That has to go on my to do list.
    shoot straight, cast far, and hike all day.

Thanks everyone.

Alex, I live in Lehi, so it was a 5-1/2 hour drive, with a stop in Kanab for gas and burgers.

Ice, I was shocked at hou many people were there for the permits. Obviously it is becoming more popular. According to the volunteers at the ranger's station, everyday of the week is busy and January and July are the least busy months.

I talked to one group in the parking lot. They had an online permit for January, but they were "rained out". I assume that meant the road was closed. So they were able to pick any date they wanted (outside the 4 month window). So they picked a nice spring day. I might try that next year.

James,

Cool trip report. We had plans to go look at Round Valley Draw, but ran out of time.

It looks like you did it the right direction. Downhill.

I may give it a try sometime.

Those are some nic shots. Well done.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

What a blast! I usually have hundreds of pictures after visiting this type of terrain. In fact, I can put the Japanese to shame. Thanks for the report.