Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aires Butte today with Tanya! :-)

Aires Butte today with Tanya! :-)

Tanya and I started up Aires Butte at 9AM this morning and it was amazingly WINDY and COLD . We almost turned around, but went for it anyway! I will post some pictures a little later. Tanya did awesome on that 5.6-5.7 4 pitch slab! Very impressive. Hope the photos came out good?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ah man I hate that cold wind. Prolly a little colder up north here though. Looking forward to some pix.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Ah man I hate that cold wind. Prolly a little colder up north here though. Looking forward to some pix.
    Not only was it cold, but it was HOWLING! I wore my pack up the first 2 pitches, but after making the clip on the last bolt of the 2nd pitch it is about 50' to the anchors. A big gust hit me maybe 40' past the bolt and almost sent me for the 100' whipper (cheese grater ride). Needless to say, I left my pack at the anchors atop the 2nd pitch to reduce windage! Photos to come. We didn't have time or desire to take pictures on the climb (only 1 Gri Gri) but I think we got some great photos up top.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Can't wait to see your pics.

We did a casual stroll up Angels yesterday it was my nephews first time.
    Beautiful day Sat. but man there were a lot of people on the trail, now I know why I don't like those things.

Link to TR

Disregard the 5.4 rating I initially gave this route. I initially only lead 2 of the four pitches 2 years ago, so it felt like 5.4. After leading all 4 pitches today in howling wind I was very tempted to give it a 5.11 rating , but with some serious thought I recant on my original rating and will re-instate it as 5.6-5.7. There is a lot of sand on some steep slab climbing that can be somewhat intimidating. The first pitch is a full 60 meters with 3 bolts...lets see? thats almost 70' between clips!

here is a link to my original TR. It will have some modifications along with another photo album soon.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-aires-butte.htm

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7

Beautiful day Sat. but man there were a lot of people on the trail, now I know why I don't like those things.
    I always love the hike up Angels Landing, people or not. It is such a classic trail! Was there still snow and ice on the Wiggles?

What did your nephew think?? I bet he loved it!

It's all snow free, saw one tiny patch halfway up the last section is all.

My nephew liked it alot, he's the one I bought some gear from you for.
    He's really excited to do some canyons.

Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca

Thanks, Bo. Gotta say, Tanya looks ready for anything with all that gear. Glad you two had a good day.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

o.k. Tanya I know your not posting but I'm sure your reading---
    Where the hells your long johns, a person could freeze in those high fashion britches.
    Great shots from the top, I guess to cold for rigging and ropework shots?

Serious girl---that under armour stuff is the shitznit

Great TR Bo, you two are amazin'. We were over in Gunlock and it was nice to start but clouds and wind did come in.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

o.k. Tanya I know your not posting but I'm sure your reading---
    Where the hells your long johns, a person could freeze in those high fashion britches.
    Great shots from the top, I guess to cold for rigging and ropework shots?

Serious girl---that under armour stuff is the shitznit
    Yeah Kurt, we both made the same mistake! We wore light clothing thinking it would be nice out. The scramble up the saddle between South Ariel Peak and Aires Butte was just right for the clothing, but when we got on the buttress and exposed climb WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The wind and cold just floored us.

No...it was hard enough to just keep ourselves at the belay stances. To pull out a camera would have required hands of steel Our hands were cold and the wind blew sand that made it difficult to even look at times. I would always pull the drag rope up and flake it at my feet and stand on it to prevent it from blowing away and around the corner. On the rappels, I would flake 2 piles and have Tanya manage the feed from the anchor stance to insure no tangles or twists. Really took some creative rope management unless we wanted to have our ropes flying as a kite!

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    Great TR Bo, you two are amazin'. We were over in Gunlock and it was nice to start but clouds and wind did come in.

Win
    I'm afraid that I coerced Tanya into this one Win! Actually Tanya had expressed the desire to do some climbing again and I really wanted to get her out climbing. It was really a great climb and great day...(as soon as we were back to the vehicles ) I truly believe that we had a great adventure and I'm sure Tanya agrees!

Glad you and the wife made it out as well!

Dang... you two sure do visit some awesome places.

wow , check out that hottie....

thanks for sharing guys, looks like fun

Few more

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    wow , check out that hottie....

thanks for sharing guys, looks like fun

I don't think you are allowed to say that. You are going to get thrown in the trash!

What if he wasn't talking about tanya? Would that still be offensive enough to be thrown into the basement?

more of Aries Climb