Thread: my bike...

my bike...

ok please be honest. i've been told that store bought bikes are not the best and i beleive it

this is my bike it's a mongoose iboc bought in 2005 when i was 15 years old. so i didn't have much money...... well i don't have much money now, about the same as i did then.

the price was around $150 at the time and i've taken it off road and in rough stuff many times and it's done good. i'm a fat rider so most of the stuff i do is slow even though i've done 10 miles in a hour and 20 mins on that bike just biking around town.

so how much trouble would i be in if i take this to lets say... gooseberry mesa?

but the two trails i want to do with this bike in the next few weeks is Anasazi Trail, and Barrel Roll Trail.

i do plan on buying me a nice one in a few years from now, but for now i'm just a broke, jobless 17 year old fat rider.

so what do you think

cheers,
    KING.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: my bike...

Quote Originally Posted by theking648
    but the two trails i want to do with this bike in the next few weeks is Anasazi Trail, and Barrel Roll Trail.
    Well, I haven't done either of those trails, but intend to soon.

I assume you bought it from WalMart? You know, the bike will do OK if you take it easy. I definitely wouldn't go out on the trail alone.

It's not too likely that parts are just going to snap on you, but the rims and suspension may bottom out on you. I noticed this when I took a WalMart bike down the Green Valley Loop, and I'm 200 lbs.

I was surprised the rims weren't shot to hell when I got done. Gooseberry Mesa will be providing a lot of hard bumps and technical stuff. You're always free to walk those parts.

A better bike will just help you ride more of the trail. Just don't go out there alone without tools.

thanks sombeech, i got it from target..... like it makes a differance. LOL

ya i never go alone, also i weigh 230 so i need to get into shape and i need to build muscle on my left knee so i don't dislocate it again.

do you think there is anything worth upgrading or is it just best to save up for a new one.

other then the seat.... i got rid of that thing along time ago my butt's too big and that seat is too small. i got that thing stuck up my butt.

i need to build muscle on my left knee so i don't dislocate it again.
    BEEN THERE DONE THAT!

I wouldn't put anymore upgrades on it. You could buy a decent used bike for around $200 on KSL's classifieds.

Some of the main differences between a bigbox bike or one bought specifically from a bike store is that they tend to be heavier and they do not pedal as easily as a name brand bike. I wouldn't worry too much about getting broke down on the trail just because you bought the bike at Target. Have fun riding !

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    i need to build muscle on my left knee so i don't dislocate it again.
    BEEN THERE DONE THAT!
    YEP. IT'S FUN ISN'T IT? i've done it twice both times running and when it goes i hit the ground and slide and i'm cussing up a storm and have to push it back in by hand.... o goodie how fun it is.

it's almost been a year since it last happened to me (June 5th 2007) at a camp out chasing my cousin.... but the look on my cousin's face was priceless. he thought he did something and was freaking out.

Yep, what they said. I put many miles on my old entry level bike and had a ball. Sometimes when I am spending more fixing my expensive bike than I paid for my first ride, I wish I had it back

Have to agree - ride it with care and dont ride alone. Keep in mind your upgrade needs to be a 'level up' mostly because your ability will increase and you will outgrow the bike. You don't need to have the top of the line bike to have fun though but you do need to know a little bit about what you want in a bike and be on the look out all the time. These guys on here know what they are talking about. Take their advise...we've kinda been through it already and are glad to give free advise.

I started biking a few years ago and I started with a too large for me hard tail with a massive 2 inches of travel in the front. It was a very old bike but I rode it all over. I also was 5

wow thanks for the advice.

thanks thomas. i'm about 5' 8" so i'll be checking those bikes out. and your down to 165.... wow thats inspiring.

i'm going to ride the crap out of my bike untill it's a big pile of scrap metal.
    my bike has a lot of bob and i hate it but i can live with it.

thanks,
    KING

I would say to save your money and rent a bike when you get ready to go and ride these trails. Your bike can make a huge difference, my bro in law bought a bike and was a heavier rider and it also didn't have the best components. Better said, he gave up when he was trying to get his 45lb bike up a hill, it takes alot more effort.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride
    I would say to save your money and rent a bike when you get ready to go and ride these trails. Your bike can make a huge difference, my bro in law bought a bike and was a heavier rider and it also didn't have the best components. Better said, he gave up when he was trying to get his 45lb bike up a hill, it takes alot more effort.
    thats not to practical money wise... i know my bike can do it if i take it easy. and i know i can do it. I BELIEVE! and if it breaks.... well sh!@ happens and it's not to hard to hike out. and i'll always have my PSK with me.

Yeah, I'd just go do it. I haven't done anasazi (hope to get down there soon and do it) but I think you'd be fine on barrel roll. Just take 'er easy on the rough stuff, there's a section maybe about 100 yards long about half way out (furthest from your car, of course) that's pretty rocky, you'd probably want to walk it though there. Just make sure to carry plenty of water, etc... although you'd never be any further than 3 miles to your car.

Take some pictures too!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke
    Take some pictures too!
    Ditto.

i'll take lots of photos!! especially at anasazi with the rock art... i did hike that a few years ago but i've never biked it.

i'm going to bike anasazi first after i buy my GPS in a few weeks.