Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Mormonism Spreading?

Is Mormonism Spreading?

I'm currently enjoying a trip along the coast of Georgia, headed for the coast of South Carolina, then to the mountain areas of both states. Anyway, here in the Brunswick area, we noticed two Mormon churches. These are the first I can remember ever seeing outside the west. Is Mormonism spreading, or was I just unaware of an eastern presence?
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Those Normans are a cult!

Here is some interesting info on US Religions. It is very interesting to see how localized religions are. Looks like religion may be more of a social activity rather than a spiritual activity.

This links shows the top ten denominations in the US, looks like Mormons are 4th. Nobody is even close to the Catholics or Baptists.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001481.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Redpb
    Those Normans are a cult!
    Please edit this with the appropriate emoticon since I don't know what the ! means. Then I can either laugh along with you or wonder what in the world you are referring to.
    Life is Good

OK I just read your post on the other thread. Yep, we're a cult
    Life is Good

Re: Is Mormonism Spreading?

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    I'm currently enjoying a trip along the coast of Georgia, headed for the coast of South Carolina, then to the mountain areas of both states. Anyway, here in the Brunswick area, we noticed two Mormon churches. These are the first I can remember ever seeing outside the west. Is Mormonism spreading, or was I just unaware of an eastern presence?
    Yes it's spreading, and yes it already has an eastern presence. Actually it was in the Eastern states first, then was driven out West. And now is spreading everywhere.

"You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile"

OMG someone stop those Babtists!

They are turning the whole country RED!
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

well, I knew LDS started back east, but I don't recall seeing an LDS church in the east until these two I spotted yesterday and today. When I was in grammar school, we were told that one kid was a Mormon. I assumed that was his nationality, like he was from Morm or something.
    Stan

When I was in grammar school, we were told that one kid was a Mormon. I assumed that was his nationality, like he was from Morm or something.
    Life is Good

Last June the member count of the LDS church passed 13 million. There are more LDS members OUTSIDE of the U.S. and Canada, than inside.

So then of course, the total LDS population residing in Utah, I would guess 30% ? I can't find that stat anywhere though.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    well, I knew LDS started back east, but I don't recall seeing an LDS church in the east until these two I spotted yesterday and today. When I was in grammar school, we were told that one kid was a Mormon. I assumed that was his nationality, like he was from Morm or something.
    I remember when my parents got a new olive Jeep Grand Cherokee limited and I thought we were the only ones to have one. Then I started to see them everywhere. They've been there, especially growing in the last 50 years. You have just started to notice them now. Just like a car you will see/recognize more.

Infact here is you local ward. link Meetings start at 9:00 am
    Go by and ask some questions.

Here is your local worship temple
    link MAP

How funny. I actually drive by that location occasionally. I'll have to look more closely. Thanks for the info.
    Stan

Not only is the LDS church all over the country, but there is even a Mormon temple in Orlando Florida (not 2 hours away from you).

I really enjoyed this post. I am Mormon and spent two years as a missionary for the LDS church, so I am very aware of the growth of my church, but I really had not thought about how noticable that growth would be to somebody of a different faith. Anyway, thanks for posting this question.

What exactly are you going to do in Georgia and South Carolia? South Carolina is the of the states to which I have not yet visited, and I don't really know why to visit. So I would love to hear about what you have planned.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

This is one of those thing that bother me about the lds faith, the constant posting of numbers. On the upswing they say, kinda like"com'on dont you want to join the winning team??"(this is one of the pitches I get constantly from my father in law). Id be curious to see the numbers on how many have left or not active out of that 13 million. Im sure if this was done for most religions across the board it would paint a different picture.

Truth be told, most major religions are cults. The worst offender is the Catholic "Church." The Mormons got NOTHIN' on the Vatican cult-wise.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Hey I'm offended! We are much better cult than the Catholics.

Maybe the new president will get a cool hat and bangin robes for the quorum.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Responding to DiscGo's comments/questions.

I would never expect to see the temple in Orlando because I avoid that area at all costs. The last time I visited Orlando was 1988, when I attended a conference there. Since then, just driving through on I-4 is a challenge. A bus wreck once cost us an extra 3 hours. (I know it cost others much more.) It's just that traffic is so bad that any little problem causes a big delay.

Our trip to GA and SC is to visit some of the quaint towns/cities they have. St Mary's and Savannah, GA, and Charleston, SC. Lots of historic homes, plantations, forts, etc. Also, the marshes along the east coast can be quite scenic. You may have studied poet Sydney Lanier and "The Marshes of Glynn" in high school English lit. We are currently in Glynn county, where the marshes are vast. Lots of rivers, too.

After seeing the coastal area, we'll go into the mountainous areasof both states. The mountains are much smaller than western mountains, but still pretty and have lots of waterfalls. We've always enjoyed these areas.

So, it's not as good as Utah, but will satisfy my need to get outdoors for a while.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    Hey I'm offended! We are much better cult than the Catholics.

Maybe the new president will get a cool hat and bangin robes for the quorum.
    Add the rape of little boys and bingo you're there.
    Oh, and deification of a pope-like figure.
    And indulgences, too. Don't forget those.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

We're working on things. We have designed a really cool hat.

President Monson is hip and cool so maybe he could wear a really large ring for people to kiss.

But we really are a better cult where it counts. You don't see catholics making money from underwear sales do you? Think about that. Every member, several sets each huh? huh? We're talking serious cash.

Here is JT test marketing the hat. We are going to have those kids lining up to be babtized.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You have not been following along. President Hinckley who just passed away used to wear a hat very very similar to the one you pictured. Sorry, hat taken.
    Life is Good