Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who named each canyon and why?

Yankee Doodle

This bad boy belongs to Dick Shear. If you look at a USGS 7.5" Topo the drainage above the road is labeled Yankee Doodle Hollow, which I'm sure is where the name came from.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Monoxide
    http://climb-utah.com/Powell/monoxide.htm

I think it was Mr. Jones who coined the name in keeping with the posion tradition.... but the folllowing people were on the trip so it could have been any/all or a combination who named the route....

Tom and Sharon Talboys, Jeff and Barb Meierhofer, Tom Jones, Gilles Wallace and Shane Burrows

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Monoxide
    http://climb-utah.com/Powell/monoxide.htm

I think it was Mr. Jones who coined the name in keeping with the poison tradition.... but the folllowing people were on the trip so it could have been any/all or a combination who named the route....

Tom and Sharon Talboys, Jeff and Barb Meierhofer, Tom Jones, Gilles Wallace and Shane Burrows
    As I remember, we called it Monoxide because it had exactly ONE good feature...

Tom

Lucky Charms

Hank Moon came up with that name in keeping with the area's Irish theme. Hank and I had spent the afternoon scrambling around the sandstone cliff's and I though the route was a fun divergence to add to climb-Utah.

Big Horn
    http://climb-utah.com/Moab/bighorn.htm

This was a know brainer when it came to naming. A group of us were playing around in Moab and did the route. Big Horn has this really cool little hanging garden in the middle of a huge sandstone wall. A skilled climber or big horn sheep can actual climb to an overhanging ledge just above the hanging garden. The problem is if you jump into the hanging garden from the ledge you are not getting out unless you use ropes. This became obvious to us when we discover the horns of a Big Horn Sheep who had become trapped in the hanging garden/prison and perished.

The orgianal Big Horn group consisted of:
    Jason Price, March Schnupp, Justin Eatchell, Alex Korkishko, Shane Burrows

I'd like to hear from some of the California and AZ canyoneers... where are your names coming from?

Also, anyone know where "The Jug" in AZ got it's name?

Hmmm, the Salome "Jug" is at the base of the Dutchwoman Butte. Could the plural form of "Jug" been lost over the years?
    "The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

I'd like to hear from some of the California and AZ canyoneers... where are your names coming from?

Before the canyon popularity boom here in Cali - Chris Brennen was naming many of the local canyons. Four that I know for sure he named (cuz I was with him on the first descent) are Suicide, Bull Canyon, Green Mountain, and Deep Canyon.
    I'm sure there are many others that were named by him, and I would bet if it
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    Four that I know for sure he named (cuz I was with him on the first descent) are Suicide, Bull Canyon, Green Mountain, and Deep Canyon.
    I'm also curious why the canyons have the names they do.... a lot of the canyons we named have a story that goes with them. So... any good story to go with the naming of 'Suicide"?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Four that I know for sure he named (cuz I was with him on the first descent) are Suicide, Bull Canyon, Green Mountain, and Deep Canyon.
    I'm also curious why the canyons have the names they do.... a lot of the canyons we named have a story that goes with them. So... any good story to go with the naming of 'Suicide"?
    Suicide, by the original approach route, was a horrendous six-hour bushwhack through oak brush and poison ivy to get to the first rappel. By the time we got there, I was ready to just jump off.

That's my story, but not how it got its name...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Suicide, by the original approach route, was a horrendous six-hour bushwhack through oak brush and poison ivy to get to the first rappel. By the time we got there, I was ready to just jump off.

That's my story, but not how it got its name...

Tom
    Up Mount Luken's road?
    Chris and I endured about 10 hours of hell.
    You got off lucky I guess.

I can

[quote=Randi]

Before the canyon popularity boom here in Cali - Chris Brennen was naming many of the local canyons. Four that I know for sure he named (cuz I was with him on the first descent) are Suicide, Bull Canyon, Green Mountain, and Deep Canyon.
    I'm sure there are many others that were named by him, and I would bet if it

Re: ****

[quote]He and Mark Duttweiler were naming some of the canyons in Death Valley, which they/we pioneered

Nope. Anvil is next to Shoestring. As of yet, undescended.

As for Abysmal, Rick has since gone and done two or three of the canyons south of there. One of them, I forget the name he gave it (Purgatory, maybe?), he felt was 4th best in the area (after Cerberus, Abysmal and Hades). A 9 AM start and a 12:15 AM return to the bottom vehicle. Wish I'd been along for that one, but I had other top-secret Zion stuff I was mixed up in!

CP

Quote Originally Posted by cp0915
    Nope. Anvil is next to Shoestring. As of yet, undescended.

As for Abysmal, Rick has since gone and done two or three of the canyons south of there. One of them, I forget the name he gave it (Purgatory, maybe?), he felt was 4th best in the area (after Cerberus, Abysmal and Hades). A 9 AM start and a 12:15 AM return to the bottom vehicle. Wish I'd been along for that one, but I had other top-secret Zion stuff I was mixed up in!

CP
    Well, I'm all mixed up on what's what on all that new stuff that's being explored out there. I must be a glutton for punishment, cuz I like those long days.... wish I would've been there too (except for the time of year). DV gets way too hot after March for my liking.

It is definitely "thee" place to be in winter though.

Keep me posted on your peak hikes in Zion. Hopefully, I can get out there with you guys once, before your "CP & DB's excellent adventure" road trip!

And an excellent roadtrip it will be! I can't wait.

As for Zion, I'm gonna hit it hard the next 3 weeks (I think) then back off ('cept for canyons) until the fall. That said, I've really got an interest in something rather long and exploratory this Saturday but no one seems to want to join me. Is it the torn clothing, my ugly, unshaven face, the body odor, or perhaps a combination of the three?

CP

And an excellent roadtrip it will be! I can't wait.

As for Zion, I'm gonna hit it hard the next 3 weeks (I think) then back off ('cept for canyons) until the fall. That said, I've really got an interest in something rather long and exploratory this Saturday but no one seems to want to join me. Is it the torn clothing, my ugly, unshaven face, the body odor, or perhaps a combination of the three?

CP
    I'm notorious for hanging out with ugly, torn up, unshaven, stinky men. ~ Not to say "you" fall into that catagory of course, but those are your words, not mine! ; )

I would join you in a heartbeat if I didn't have plans already.
    Sounds like my kind of trip.
    I'm open the weekend of May 10th!
    Hint, hint ~

I'm taking 8 people (including my eldest daughter) through a couple of local canyons this W/E.

Weekend of May 10? I'm open. Let's make a plan.

(sorry to hijack this thread, by the way)

Weekend of May 10? I'm open. Let's make a plan.

(sorry to hijack this thread, by the way)
    Great! I'm looking forward to it.
    W/E of May 10th - trip with Courtney and friends!
    We'll get the track back on topic when we get back from our long arduous journey to who know's where?????? Got anything in mind off hand?

PS: I've got no problem starting in the dark and finishing in the dark. That's what headlamps are for! : )