Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who named each canyon and why?

Who named each canyon and why?

Maybe this has been discussed before? Perhaps in bits and pieces. I know that several bogley members have directly named or help name many canyons. I am curious and would find it very interesting to find out who named each canyon and why it was given the name. Perhaps also what year it was named.

Post what you know.

This was stefan's response to my question in another thread when I asked about the Alcatraz name.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    How was this canyon named? Does it have a long swim or something?
    it was named by scott patterson after he and mike kelsey needed to escape from it when they weren't sure about making it through.

however, scott vehemently does not condone the method they used to escape the canyon and prefers that his story not be broadcast.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Waitin' for Shane, Tom, Stefan, and Ram to pipe up.....
    Life is Good

I sense some debate may begin... "I named it this" - "NO, I named it this 5 years before you found it"

But seriously, I would like to know how each canyon got the "popular" name too.

Actually there is not a lot of debate about names.... but where the names came from is usually pretty interesting.

Lots of info already in this forum if you pick the right search words.

Leprechaun
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10261

Sandthrax: Where Did The Canyon Get It's Name

It helps to read this story first: http://climb-utah.com/Powell/sandthrax1.htm

It's important to know the events of our first attempted descent occurred one month after the 9/11 terrorist hijackings and the big congress mail room anthrax scare. The entire country was putting on a brave face but in reality everyone was hunkered down just waiting for the next attack.

When we were trapped in Sandthrax I had one of those cheap disposable point and shoot cameras in my pack. After the ordeal I took the camera into a local grocery store with a one hour photo service to get the film developed.

After dropping off the camera at the one hour photo service I proceed to do some grocery shopping while the film is being develop. When the female film technician pops open the back of the camera sand spills out everywhere. The film technician freaks out and reports she has just been poisoned with anthrax. The cops who happen to have a sub station next to this particular grocery store and who have been watching way too much TV spring into action.......

Next thing I know I'm face down in the isle of the grocery store with two cops standing on top of me with their guns drawn.

After I told my partner Hank Moon the story and he stopped rolling on the floor laughing he suggested we name the canyon Sandthrax, in honor of my grocery shopping episode.

Baptist Draw Historical Information:

The Swasey family named a large portion of the canyons and features in the San Rafael Swell. Baptist Draw is believed to have received its name when Joe Swasey and a friend stopped for water at Baptist Tanks. The tanks are depressions or potholes in the sandstone that capture and hold water. The cowboys decided to baptize a dog, which had been following them by tossing him into the tanks.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Sandthrax: Where Did The Canyon Get It's Name

It helps to read this story first: http://climb-utah.com/Powell/sandthrax1.htm

It's important to know the events of our first attempted descent occurred one month after the 9/11 terrorist hijackings and the big congress mail room anthrax scare. The entire country was putting on a brave face but in reality everyone was hunkered down just waiting for the next attack.

When we were trapped in Sandthrax I had one of those cheap disposable point and shoot cameras in my pack. After the ordeal I took the camera into a local grocery store with a one hour photo service to get the film developed.

After dropping off the camera at the one hour photo service I proceed to do some grocery shopping while the film is being develop. When the female film technician pops open the back of the camera sand spills out everywhere. The film technician freaks out and reports she has just been poisoned with anthrax. The cops who happen to have a sub station next to this particular grocery store and who have been watching way too much TV spring into action.......

Next thing I know I'm face down in the isle of the grocery store with two cops standing on top of me with their guns drawn.

After I told my partner Hank Moon the story and he stopped rolling on the floor laughing he suggested we name the canyon Sandthrax, in honor of my grocery shopping episode.

Did you get your film back?

Music Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/SRS/music1.htm

Music Canyon received its name on the first known descent. The story goes that a woman accompanying the group had a beautiful voice and when they reached a dark cavern referred to as "The Music Chamber" she began to sing and the acoustics were remarkable.

Escape from Alcatraz
    By: Scott Patterson

http://climb-utah.com/Roost/alcatraz1.htm

The story above is where Alcatraz in the Roost got it's name.

I think Stefan has taken an interest in canyon names and knows where quite a few of them came from. I've been part of a couple explorations recently. I scoped out a canyon and went down it to find out that Ryan Cornea had finished it with Mike Kelsey earlier. I called it Trachyotomy because it drops into Trachyte creek and took delicate moves to get down like the delicate procedure MD's do. Turns out that Ryan and his crew had named the area the "Land of Oz" and had a whole theme of names for the canyons like "Yellow Brick Road," and this canyon was the "Witches Cauldron," another fine name for the canyon. Ryan can probably give you more background on his names for the canyons in that area.

A few weeks later I planned on doing Maidenwater with Carpey and Brian from Logan when Dave P (Wyoming Dave over on the yahoo group) comes up to me with a huge grin on his face all excited, showing me this new canyon he had found on Google Earth and had scouted that day. He was planning on doing it the next day and asked if I wanted in... Sorry Carpey and Brian, I just couldn't say no, I'd never seen Dave so excited in my life! The canyon was GREAT fun, lots of potholes, lots of problem solving, really good. It drops into Woodruff canyon so Dave thought the name Woody would be good. Hope to get in on some more new stuff this year (actually if Kelsey's new book comes out this year we will all be busy checking out his new routes ).

Links to beta:

Witches Cauldron: http://www.outdoorzen.org/site/beta/...scauldron.html

Woody: http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/north/woody.php

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Did you get your film back?
    Actually I did, but the photo tech bitched me out because the sand ruined all her solution... whatever that is....

History of Bluejohn
    http://climb-utah.com/Roost/bluejohn1.htm

Bluejohn Canyon appears to have been named after a minor Robbers Roost outlaw by the name of John Griffith. Griffith had one blue eye and one brown eye and thus was saddled with the nickname "Blue John". It is recognized that he kept stolen horses in the area, perhaps watering them at nearby springs. In the fall of 1899 Griffith is reported to have put in at Hite with a small boat with the intention of reaching Lee's Ferry. He was never heard from again.

Mind Bender - What's In A Name:

How did Mind Bender get it's name? The following excerpt is from Steve Allen's excellent guidebook 'Canyoneering 2: Technical Loop Hikes in Southern Utah'.

"By the time we reached the crux section of the canyon, we had been enveloped by a blizzard; the snow that whipped through the canyon stung our eyes and froze our hands. The crux was truly a mind bender; the narrow slot gave way to an abrupt drop over the 155-foot-high mouth of a huge cave. We spent an hour rigging our ropes. With no secure anchor points, we ended up burying a sling under a pile of rocks at the bottom of a large pothole and attaching the rope to it."

"I went first, carefully sliding out of the slot and into a vertical void, the floor of the canyon invisible in the swirl of snow. Would the rope be long enough? The question was answered when I was halfway down: the rope was long enough but my trajectory would have taken me through the limbs of an oak tree and into a large pool. Not good! With some gentle swinging I managed to hit a dry landing zone. Ginger took her time lowering packs over the fifteen-story drop. From below I saw that the brunt of the storm had descended on her. The rock was now plastered with rime ice and, perilously perched on the edge of the abyss, every move on her part had to be carefully executed. A mistake could have meant the ultimate splat. At long last I saw Ginger's legs emerge from the slot; she slowly spun down the rope, afraid a sudden jerk would dislodge it from its precarious anchor. There were no further obstacles below. The Mind Bender Fork was a done deal."

Not Mindbender - Robbers Roost

How does a canyon get such a dumb name as "Not Mindbender"? It's because a group of friends looking for the actual Mind Bender stumbled upon this little beauty first and did a descent. What the group had actually found was Mind Benders big brother.

Zero Gravity
    http://climb-utah.com/SRS/zero.htm

When we first did the canyon I dropped through the bombay at the exit a little to early and got stuck. I was trapped at my chest but my feet were hanging down into space about 10' above the ground. I was suspended in air and looked like Wily E. Coyote running in space..... after everyone finished laughing they helped me get unstuck.

Zero Gravity
    http://climb-utah.com/SRS/zero.htm

I was trapped at my chest but my feet were hanging down into space about 10' above the ground. I was suspended in air and looked like Wily E. Coyote running in space..... after everyone finished laughing they helped me get unstuck.

Hey! you stole my story!!! kinda of anyway, mines better in that I had read your beta, and still dropped into too early(nobody said I was smart....), it was a very strange feeling being stuck like that...

OG

This story was submitted by Dave Pitney and is published in the book

Canyoneering Tales
    http://www.cafepress.com/climbutah.11918147

Das Boot
    Dave Pitney

My friend Ram and I were descending Mystery one October day and we come upon two ropes still set up at Mystery Spring. After dropping them, we proceeded to the drop into the Virgin and find a 3-ply 18mm rope leading to the drop. So now we carry out 600 feet of wet rope and inquire at the ranger station if any one reported stuck ropes. Nope. Later that week we get a call from L, a podiatrist, who says "hey I heard you found my ropes, can you send one back to Vegas?" Certainly, but how did they get there? Well L and the boys decided to do Mystery at night, rapping with hand held flashlights, held in their teeth. OK. Our kind of people. Since I was going there in a few weeks for a trade show, I said I'd leave them at the hotel desk. One thing led to another and L and I made plans to descend the upper middle of Left Fork and then finish with the Subway. Now we are heading in mid November at 6000+ feet and L does not want to rent a wet suit. Very bad idea. Most are convinced that he will die if he does not suit and eventually he is convinced to get a suit and all appears well. Appears, that is.

So we meet and head up after getting the requisite permit and we start hiking in a foot of snow to the start. Now I was happy to just find the start as I had only been there once with Ram and was not paying particular attention. So I'm suiting up, eating all I can find including the taco wrap and L. is waiting for me in his hiking clothes. Let's get ready I say and he tells me he is hot and won't be putting on his wet suit. A little bit of arguing and I point out that shiny stuff in the water is ICE and get your suit on! Finally he relents (partly) and puts the top of his farmer john on and this whole trip is going downhill, fast. So I'm tired of this and get ready to go and realize he has no neo socks on. L states that he has done many canyons before and knows what he is doing. Timing? Well June and July, mostly. You are in for a treat, I say.

So in we plunge and 20 minutes later I hear "duh, duh dddave, I'm cold". No shit, and this is ice swirling around you. How cold? I can't feel my legs. About what one should expect, your body is working fine, let's go. No, he has to put on his bottoms. So this takes 20 minutes and despite my aerobic exercises I go from cool to cold. Now my panties are in a wad. L is slow and stumbling a little (we know what this means) and to keep him moving I keep slipping around corners ahead of him just letting him catch a glance of me. Finally we come to a place with that white winter sun and L comes up and falls face first into the stream and does not get up. I notice that he has one boot on and a sock on the other foot. I pick his head out of the water and ask him where his other boot is. "I duh, duh, don't know" he says slowly. So we still have more of this canyon segment and then 8 miles of the subway including the hike out and L has one boot. Unacceptable I state. If you hike with me, you hike with two boots. Go get it. I don't know where it is he stutters. So how long have you not had a boot? "I dunno. I can't feel my feet" Neo socks rule, I guess. So I go back and poke around in the last pool and find no boot. Probably not tied on well when he changed. Damn. What am I going to do with a hypothermic bimbo and miles to go? Does death become him? Nah.

Hike. And shortly we come to the final rap of the narrows and I try to puzzle out the best way with hypo L. Me first? Him first? Just toss his sorry ass into the pool? So I put him on rappel and then I go down and get ready to fireman him in case of a mistake. But of course he has to rap down the snow covered slope in his sock. So it's pretty obvious that this canyon is over if we can get out. I go through his pack and make a boot out a stuff sack and my two socks and figure that if we can exit the Russell Gulch entrance then maybe this will end, mercifully. So up we go and L begins to warm and come out of his stupor. Sun is shining, snow is melting and all is well. We get back to the car and I give L my card and he begins to weep as the import of the day becomes clear - and the card is titled "Let's Adventure".

So how the name Das Boot? A podiatrist losing his boot in the narrows. Lessons are obvious.

Constrychnine was named in a thread on Bogley. Initally the canyon was going to be called Hemlock.... how the name was born is kind of interesting:

Naming of Constrychnine
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-Constrychnine

No - Friggin - Way.

I would think you were actually flirting with the cashier, who happened to be 17.

This is great stuff.

I still think that the gunsight entrance to Heaps needs to be renamed "Not Behunin" in memory of the fellers that mistook it for Behunin and had to get rescued.
    Life is Good