Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who named each canyon and why?

May 10-11. In the calendar! Anyone else comin'?!?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: ****

Quote Originally Posted by cp0915
    May 10-11. In the calendar! Anyone else comin'?!?
    Maybe another guy from Vegas?
    Peak or canyon ya think?
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Peak or canyon? That's easy. One of each!

Re: ****

Quote Originally Posted by cp0915
    Peak or canyon? That's easy. One of each!
    Perfect! :)
    OK to bring a friend?
    ~not from the canyons groups but willing, and able~
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Of course you can bring a friend. I'll be bringing the Pooch.

Cameltoe

This canyon got it's name because Justin Eatchel and I both think we are real funny f**kers....

We stumbled on to this route by wandering around on the slickrock with no real plan in mind. We were not the first to do this route. At one time this route was guided by a local Moab canyoneering company. They used anther name for the route which was told to me after I orginally betaed the route but can not remember what it was. If someone has the orgianal name of the route it would be nice to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Cameltoe

This canyon got it's name because Justin Eatchel and I both think we are real funny f**kers....

We stumbled on to this route by wandering around on the slickrock with no real plan in mind. We were not the first to do this route. At one time this route was guided by a local Moab canyoneering company. They used anther name for the route which was told to me after I orginally betaed the route but can not remember what it was. If someone has the orgianal name of the route it would be nice to know.

We first went into that canyon in 2000 and guided it infrequently for a couple years. It has no official name with the USGS. Many locals call it Culvert Canyon. It's also called Dragonfly Canyon by many locals. We spun off the Dragonfly theme and called it Odonata Canyon. Of course we didn't call it Dragonfly because we had already used that name for the canyon in Arches many years earlier.

Moab Matt

Think...?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

a large compilation of canyon names: who named them and why they named them so

CANYON NAME DATABASE

Nice Job on the Canyon Name Database.

I kinda forgot about this thread, but since I see Stefan has used it as a resource I'll try to add more names that I know the origin of...

French Canyon

Joe Braun was backpacking Parunuweap, when he reached the unique and interesting tributary entering from the south he strode to the canyon entrance, planted his hiking staff, and declared "I claim this canyon in the name of France".

I believe the story first appeared in the Yahoo Zion National Park Hiking Group many years ago.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_N...l_Park_Hiking/

Later when I wrote up the Rock Canyon route description I could find no name for the tributary so I used the name "French Canyon" after Joe's antics.

Joe Braun - "I claim this canyon in the name of France"

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I kinda forgot about this thread, but since I see Stefan has used it as a resource I'll try to add more names that I know the origin of...

French Canyon

Joe Braun was backpacking Parunuweap, when he reached the unique and interesting tributary entering from the south he strode to the canyon entrance, planted his hiking staff, and declared "I claim this canyon in the name of France".

I believe the story first appeared in the Yahoo Zion National Park Hiking Group many years ago.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_N...l_Park_Hiking/

Later when I wrote up the Rock Canyon route description I could find no name for the tributary so I used the name "French Canyon" after Joe's antics.

Joe Braun - "I claim this canyon in the name of France"
    I thought it was called French Canyon because one could retreat from Parunweap much like France retreats from war.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    I thought it was called French Canyon because one could retreat from Parunweap much like France retreats from war.

No, but that version also works really sweet....

At first canyoneers going down Misery and exiting out French were calling it "Joe's French Canyon", but soon the name was shortened to just French Canyon.

Nice Job on the Canyon Name Database.
    thank you, shane.

yes, you did a nice job with a number of names. thanks

... french canyon ...
    yes ... this one's been on my list. thanks.

Cass Canyon

At one time that was the name Desert Highlights was using in their advertisements for guiding the Black Hole.

Cass Canyon in honor of Cass Hite.... Cass Hite first reached the Colorado River by way of White Canyon.

You might want to add this as an AKA since I still see the name occasionally on old TR's and photo journals.

Wild Wind Hollow

This canyon is often used as an escape from Birch Hollow so that a car shuttle is not required. The first group of canyoneers that I know of who did Birch Hollow and used Wild Wind Hollow as an escape gave the canyon it's name. It seems that one of the group had a bad case of gas and kept entertaining the rest of the group with his "rotten egg bum farts" for the entire exit.

I noticed kelsey uses the Wild Wind Hollow name in his new book..... I guess he didn't think this one was silly.....

Little Blue John

To the best of my knowledge.... the route was named by Tom Talboys sometime before 2003. Like many of you, I had seen the slot before when doing Blue John, but TT was the first person I knew who had actually done the slot. I believe the route first appeared to the public on Climb-Utah in March 2003.

At the same time the "Squeeze Variation" to East Fork of BJ also appeared in print and was my name for the alternate entrance.