Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcatraz TR

Alcatraz TR

I got a wild hair up my butt after finally finiishing my Senior Thesis to go and hit a slot. I have never done Alcatraz and have heard nothing but great stories about the canyon. It did not disappoint. Pictures were few and far inbetween, sorry. Did find something interesting in the bottom of the canyon where it was almost pitch black. A LIVE duck!!! Poor thing was so disoriented, it didnt know what was up and what was down. It wouldn't let me get near it, so we left it there. Kinda feel bad, but whaddaya do? Anyhow, for enquiring minds, the canyon is nearly dry. Quite possible to get through without touching water if you are careful. As for actual rappels, the only one we actually rapped was the first one off the cliff. The only other one we even drug the rope out for we hand lined. Got stuck twice in the skinnies and had to have an assist to go high. One particular part drops you into a somewhat of a pothole and then you had to climb up 5 or 6 feet in order to get out. Off width stuff that tested my climbing skills. I kept thinking about how doing a canyon like that SOLO would up the panic factor. Some people are just nuts to go alone. Anyhow enjoy the few pics we did take.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the much needed TR Reedus!

I wonder where the duck came from?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Good question on the duck. Probably was flying acrobatics up through the slot and clipped a wing on the sandstone.

Sweetness!

How was this canyon named? Does it have a long swim or something?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Sweetness!

it was named by scott patterson after he and mike kelsey needed to escape from it when they weren't sure about making it through.

however, scott vehemently does not condone the method they used to escape the canyon and prefers that his story not be broadcast.

Thanks and amen to the much needed TR. Too much fluff around this forum lately and it is nice to see real canyoneering again. For some reason I have been past it several times but have never dropped in. I know the reason and it is that I am frequently taking newbies through Larry and I don't dare take them into Alcatraz. I just need to go early or stay late and knock this canyon off. It looks like a blast. What was your time through? And lets assume I have a "friend" (really I do have couple) that was about 205 lbs and about 6'2" and wanted to go. What kind of stemming would this friend have to do or could he squeeze through? I know for a fact he can squeeze through 9" in my, I mean his basement between two vertical 2x4 studs. Could he fit or does he go high? I just want to know what "he" is in for.
    Life is Good

WTF you left the live duck in there????

I can smell a rescue mission! I know marc is down there with the family....

Anyone up for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    WTF you left the live duck in there????

I can smell a rescue mission! I know marc is down there with the family....

Anyone up for it?
    I knew there would be an uproar from Alex and Marc's camp. Where is the link to your rescue mission TR?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    What kind of stemming would this friend have to do or could he squeeze through? I know for a fact he can squeeze through 9" in my, I mean his basement between two vertical 2x4 studs. Could he fit or does he go high? I just want to know what "he" is in for.
    I'm 5' 10" and 195, kinda barrel-chested(though not muscle), and I had to stem high at least twice, with super tight squeezes in 1 or 2 more places....

In the last drop before exiting the slots, you do drop down into a dark section, in the section I helped boost my buddy up and into the wider area (about 6 ft up), he took one end of the rope through, and I stemmed up, and then used the rope tension to pull myself into the "wider" area

No pics as my camera got soaked.......

OG

Isn't this the canyon where the lady died last year at?

I think you are thinking of Knotted Rope in the Swell.

Scott, you should be fine, you'll have to stem probably over the same two spots Reed did, neither put you very high off the deck. The first spot could put you over a fairly wide drop, but with good spotting from below you could probably get down before that spot. Both tight spots won't put you off the ground very long either. And don't feel too bad, pretty much everyone goes high at the last spot.

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Sweetness!

it was named by scott patterson after he and mike kelsey needed to escape from it when they weren't sure about making it through.

however, scott vehemently does not condone the method they used to escape the canyon and prefers that his story not be broadcast.
    But his story is broadcasted on Climb-Utah:
    Escape from Alcatraz

James

I weigh in at 215 and there were a couple spots that were a no-go. I am stubborn and tried to force it and just got stuck. The bad thing about getting stuck is you really can't get out to get high. Always best to go high when in doubt. I had to have my buddy come back and offer a foothold so i could get high enough to go through. One spot in particular at the end is what I would consider the crux. I mentioned it before. You have to climb and then somehow flip your self forward to get the foothold. Very awkward. Awesome canyon. I place it high on the list. We started at 10:30 and were back at the car at 2:45. We didn't stop at all. As for the duck... poor bastard needs a hero Alex.

We freed the DUCK! We hiked Alcatraz on Sat 4/5, and the duck was still in there. We caught her, put her in a backpack, and carefully carried her out. When I released her, she flew away and landed in a nice pool where she proceeded to eat and drink for at least the next hour while we watched her. She seemed to be just fine, and will have some great stories to tell her friends.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerjeff
    We freed the DUCK! We hiked Alcatraz on Sat 4/5, and the duck was still in there. We caught her, put her in a backpack, and carefully carried her out. When I released her, she flew away and landed in a nice pool where she proceeded to eat and drink for at least the next hour while we watched her. She seemed to be just fine, and will have some great stories to tell her friends.
    CHA CHING!!!

Nice deposit in the 'ole karma bank!!!

OG

We freed the DUCK!

And welcome to Bogley.....

That is very cool.
    A man ain't worth a damn once he ceases to be a boy
    -Mark Twain

welcome to the "Canyon Animal Liberators" club

i think we should make some hats and patches.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    I think you are thinking of Knotted Rope in the Swell.
    I don't remember this. I'm planning to do Knotted Rope this weekend (18-20 April). Can someone point me to a report of what happened to get someone killed?

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    I don't remember this. I'm planning to do Knotted Rope this weekend (18-20 April). Can someone point me to a report of what happened to get someone killed?
    LINK