Thread: Mountain lion spotted in Ogden

Mountain lion spotted in Ogden

Rumor says The photo was taken on March 1, 2008 on North Street just east of Mountain Road in Ogden. Anyone for a hike?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, I am so in if you are. I ran into a big cat in mill creek last spring, I'd love to get close enough to take a few photos! :D

It kinda has the look on its face like, "Where is SAR?"
    Life is Good

Where's Waldo? Good hell, took me a while to find him in that picture.

No suprize to me we're seeing more of these guys. They have no natural selection. An unlimited food supply. Any body want to do a pool of how soon one of these cats takes a neighbor hood child. I'll put my bet on with in a year from now.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

Quote Originally Posted by MY T PIMP
    No suprize to me we're seeing more of these guys. They have no natural selection. An unlimited food supply. Any body want to do a pool of how soon one of these cats takes a neighbor hood child. I'll put my bet on with in a year from now.
    I'll take that bet... I've spent a fair amount of time just trying to even find one of these cats (without treeing them, which I also think is silly), let alone get close enough to take a picture. They are skittish as can be, and attacks on humans are ridiculously rare. You are far more likely to be shot on a plane by a pilot who is incompetent in stowing his firearm.

Also, what do you mean, no natural selection? Unlimited food supply? Do you think that the mountain lion population is out of control right now or something? No sense in appealing to an irrational fear of a cougar killing an innocent child. I wonder if any human has ever been killed by a cougar in the entire history of the state of Utah. Chances of a kid dying from slipping on the sidewalk and hitting their head is certainly much more statistically significant.

Cougars are known to attack humans in very rare cases, but they normally do it when they are either threatened, or they have no reliable source of food, which would be at odds with your original statement that they have an abundant supply of food.

Any body want to do a pool of how soon one of these cats takes a neighbor hood child.
    who'd notice in Utar?

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    I wonder if any human has ever been killed by a cougar in the entire history of the state of Utah.
    I don't know about utah. several years ago near placerville california a woman out jogging was killed by a cougar. the cat was a female with kittens. they killed the female and there was such an outpouring of donations to build a habitat for the kittens it wasn't funny. on the flip side the children of the mother whom the cat killed didn't see anywhere near that kind of community support. until it turned up on talk radio. now (or then as the case may be) the children at least have college paid for by sympathetic citizens.

i can remember trying to go hiking in some state park in southern california one time. the rangers would not let me hike alone because they were scared that i might be attacked by a cat. i had to wait until another solo hiker came along before they would give us a permit to hike this short trail near the visitor center. what a crock.

just to see a cat in the wild is rare. to be attacked is statistically improbable. so much so that the odds of my getting some tonight are higher. with a woman that is.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I've heard that if a mountain lion attacks you to fight back, because they hate humans and something is wrong for them to attack you.

BACK ON TOPIC
    Seeing a lion in the wild is rare indeed. The only lion I have seen in the wild was in Millcreek Canyon at Birch Fork. I was running along the pipeline trail for training (hence my username). I got back in my car and pulled out to drive down the road and right there out of the bushes off the trail the lion crossed the road to the river to drink. I was a little shocked that I had run by it and had not seen the lion at all. I once remember hearing that if you see a lion to tell the ranger. Told him and he asked me where I saw it. I told him where. And he said oh no big deal he has been running around on the ridge for three weeks killing his pray.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    I'll take that bet... I've spent a fair amount of time just trying to even find one of these cats (without treeing them, which I also think is silly), let alone get close enough to take a picture. They are skittish as can be, and attacks on humans are ridiculously rare. You are far more likely to be shot on a plane by a pilot who is incompetent in stowing his firearm.

Also, what do you mean, no natural selection? Unlimited food supply? Do you think that the mountain lion population is out of control right now or something? No sense in appealing to an irrational fear of a cougar killing an innocent child. I wonder if any human has ever been killed by a cougar in the entire history of the state of Utah. Chances of a kid dying from slipping on the sidewalk and hitting their head is certainly much more statistically significant.

Cougars are known to attack humans in very rare cases, but they normally do it when they are either threatened, or they have no reliable source of food, which would be at odds with your original statement that they have an abundant supply of food.
    I was purposely overexagerating myself. However, if you are so interested in cougars you should probably attend the division of wildife resources regional advisory counsel meetings on cougars each year. I have attended the last three. Right now the state has a population of cougars which would coincide with a deer herd that should be around 400,000. But the deer herd falls considerably short of that number, livestock seem to be making up the void. And the cougar population keeps growing. As far as not seeing a cat maybe you should tag along with me on a hunting outing. I've seen 5 in the last 6 years, all the time hunting other game and site seeing.
    I also personally know 2 different people involved in attacks in this state one of which the animal lunged at a child and the parent had to shoot it.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

I've never seen one in the wild, but several times have seen their tracks in Utah. There are cases of lions attacking humans, under varying circumstances. I think a kid would be more likely a victim than an adult, if the kid were alone in a dangerous situation, which reduces the likelihood.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1