Thread: Ding Dang?

Ding Dang?

I am planning a family trip down to Goblin Valley, LWH and Ding Dang. How wet is it now in Ding Dang? Is there any rappeling in the canyon? I would like to take my 5 year old into it, is it doable?

Thanks,
    Alex

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dang was chest deep when we did it about 3 years ago.

I'd stick with LWH with your 5 year old. We got through all three canyons with no rappell, but there were a few spots it may be tough with kids in Ding and Dang. Maybe Ding would be ok?

Ding/Dang with a youngin' could be difficult. if you try it take a short 30' rope. I've always had at least chest deep water in the loop.

If you want a fun one for the kids do Crack Canyon and or Wild Horse window.

Crack Canyon
    http://www.climb-utah.com/SRS/crack.htm

Wild Horse Window
    http://www.climb-utah.com/SRS/whw.htm

Ya I have LWH and the window on track already. I will check out the Crack, how far is it from Goblin park?

Thanks guys for input.

I haven't done crack - at least the canyon, but I think it's only about 2 miles from the park? I think it's not too far from the freeway.

LWH is a couple of miles down the dirt road.

Hopefully you get more detailed directions than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Ya I have LWH and the window on track already. I will check out the Crack, how far is it from Goblin park?
    Crack is just around the corner from Wild Horse Window, really close to the park.

Over Easter weekend there was knee deep water in LWH, not sure about ding/dang, but there was water in the others.

alex,
    just and FYI if you didnt catch it
    little wild horse is different than wild horse canyon.

there is some good camping at the top side of wildhorse canyon that even your ELEMENTE' will make it to.
    miles and ruby loved that one

Thanks marc, we are taking another family with us (an eye surgeon), who are new to camping, so I wanted to stay in the park for the flush toilets and a shower.

Make it a base camp and then just drive to the hikes.

As I understand it there is Little Wild Horse canyon and Wild Horse window hike, is that what you referred to?

There are three hikes being discussed:

Little Wild Horse Canyon
    Wild Horse Canyon
    Wild Horse Window

These are three seperate hikes.... Wild Horse Canyon is a nice hike if you can spot a car at the top and bottom.

The Wild Horse Window hike starts at the Bottom of Wild Horse Canyon, visits a very short section of Wild Horse Canyon and them escapes the canyon and visits a really nice natual bridge.

Now.... is that clear as mud?

We did Ding/Dang in May a few years ago and Ding had water in it but none in Dang. Sounds like it would be too deep for your kid right now. Although..friends of mine did it when a flash flood was brewing and they just had to launch their dog off of all the chockstones and that seemed to work. I suppose you could do this with a 5 year old if the water was deep enough. Just kidding of course. Child health is very important to me, just a sick sense of humor and no children of my own to launch.

Ding:

Dang:

FWIW: there is a simple walk down on the right side (looking down canyon) of this picture. No need to dig out the ropes. Just take ten steps back from the edge, walk around the bush/rock and use the ledge system to make your way down. Really simple.

Dry Enough

I was down there earlier this week for a little hiking. Talked to some folks at the top of Chute who had just done Ding and Dang with no ropes and stemmed pretty easily over the water. We had other plans, but then decided to do them as well, but I'd never hiked them and only had an old Kelsey book and no topo and after wandering and wondering ended up starting up a parallel and unnamed canyon. Cut east at the same weakness as Ding/Dang and spotted another down canyon that looked interesting. Both were fun, but I guess I'll save Ding/Dang for another day. Weather was great--in the 30's at night and 70's during the day.