Thread: Why We Canyon?

Why We Canyon?

I hope RAM doesn't mind me starting up this thread over here. He posed this same question over on the YahooGroups, and it's a great question. Everyone has their own unique reasons why they prefer canyoneering over any other outdoor activity. (At least I do). Canyoneering appeals to me because slot canyons are so remote. So removed from the rest of our busy chaotic society. I know for a fact that there are canyons on the CP that haven't seen a human for at least 100 years. In that respect, going canyoneering is akin to stepping back in time, and I like that. I like knowing that there are still places in this world that are untouched and unblemished by man that I can escape to to reset my own life.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Remoteness is definitely a factor for me as well. I also love the none traditional sports. Canyoneering is one of those newer sports that many people don't know about, but always curious to know more.

I also tend to give up too easy, backpacking in and out route, I'd always cut the trip short. Canyoneering (just as rafting), once you commit, you are in it even if you wanted to turn around. That's another appeal for me.

Good question to spark, thanks Justin.

I started exploring over a year ago so I am a NOOB (recently learned term thanks to Bogely). But once I experienced my first canyon and first rap, I knew I was hooked. So my partner and I for 4 consecutive weekends in a row, took off for Utah for slot canyon explorations. I always come out at the end thinking, 'WOW I WISH EVERYONE I LOVED COULD SEE WHAT I JUST SAW' like my parents in Texas, my brother......etc.... but they never will. And THAT makes me sad. Because there is something about the remoteness and the one-ness with mother nature's creation that makes it very magical. AND the seriousness of the exploration that needs to be taken. I felt very accomplished and would love to explore more sooner than later. But since my partner isn't that into it anymore (we don't talk that much), I am not into doing a canyon by myself (b/c that's not possible) but would love a group to hook up with.

Ok wow...I think I just wrote a book. But I do have a very strong attraction to the canyons of Utah. It's a magical place.

Oh yea. One more thing. I canyon b/c after reading the Monkey Wrench Gang, who wouldn't want to canyon? LOL!!! That book is freaking great! Only thing is, I don't need the dynamite to make it exciting.

As a kid growing up I always sought out sports "on the edge". In 1970-1979 I built and flew hang gliders. Jumped out of cargo planes and helicopters in the military and climbed as well, scuba, motorcycle racing, bike racing, extreme skiing

When I moved to St. George in 1990, the rave was rapelling. Did that for a couple weeks, but got interested, or maybe lazy and wanted to find a shorter way back up the cliff. Got real serious about rock climbing, but soon wanted to establish routes from the ground up. (I think in a future article in Climbing Mag. one of my assisted routes will be written up as an American SW Classic, "Living On the Edge" by Chris Vanleuvan ) Went on to bigger and better in Zion and began exploring the Classic Big Walls by Ron O. and Jeff Lowe and Brad Quinn. Helped on a first ascent on Paria Point with a multi pitch 5.11 A4 VI route.

Canyons became a place of refuge for me and so close to home. ZION. First Right Fork, then Mystery, Buckskin, Behunin, Subway, some invented ones and Heaps, Imlay, Kolob. The deeper I got the more relaxing it became. Coyote, Fat Mans, Pine Creek....they were all so different and interesting. Just another chapter...trying to remain interested...not hard to do in a Canyon!

Many and different reasons, sometimes depending on the days and/or style of trip. The beautiful scenery is definitely a part; as is the solitude and one with nature experience as others have already commented on.

The excitement of exploration factors in. The camradarie of teamwork, meeting new folks, clicking with old folks.

Sometimes it's helping others, with either knowledge or possibly training. Quite rewarding to help someone else (or possibly even yourself) do something that they never thought they would do in their lifetime.

Mostly at the onset, but still to some degree, the learning of new skills and techniques.

Sometimes, a little bit of challenge is good too. Keeps us in shape, and reminds us how much "stuff" in our normal life really isn't necessary.

Ram made a post on the forum similar to being in the "zone." Not really thinking about all of other life's distractions. There are some canyons where you need focus; and I agree with him that those moments are desirable and precious.

Creating memories and photos that will last a lifetime, and sharing those with others; which builds or strengthens friendships and/or relationships.

Definitely many allures for me.

I guess it would have been much easier to say "ENDORFIN ADDICT"!
    Have to admit...the best canyon"eering" I have done has been in the past 4 years. Friendship and companionship ADDICT! Thanks to Tanya.

Great point guys, the companionship is a great value as well. I know without rock and Ice I wouldn't be doing these stuff. Without Dan I wouldn't know my limitations.

I have to say, I met some great people through this site and this sport. My every day friends just don't do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    My every day friends just don't do this stuff

AMEN BROTHER!!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I do it because it's fun, for me it has the most of what I like all wrapped up into one sport. Hiking, views, amazing places, remoteness, climbing, swimming, good friends, etc... Fun fun fun. I like other stuff too but man canyons are fun.

I'm not truly a canyoneer yet, but I'd sure like to work my way toward it. I've really gotten into canyon hiking over the last couple of years, and dabbled in a couple of slots - with the help of some great folks!

I've been hiking for about 12 years (since about 30 years old). Mostly day hikes, with overnight trips once or twice a year for most of that time. 2 years ago I started doing multi-night solo trips into canyons, and it's been incredible. Now the slots beckon to me.

It's a real dilemma for me, because I won't do really technical trips alone, but on the other hand I really love my solo trips. I do enjoy the company of others - don't get me wrong. I can be pretty darn sociable. But there is a special beauty in seeing these places with no company but your own thoughts.

Anyhow, I'll continue to do my solo trips (3 days and counting 'til the next one!), and I'll also look to do technical stuff with others (hoping for another most-of-October trip this fall).

What draws me into the canyons? One of the biggest things is what I'll call starkness. The stark contrasts between hot and cold. Wet and dry. Rough and smooth. Life and death. Where I live and hike most of the time, it is lush, green, wet, which has its own beauty, for sure, but the desert canyons are such a complement to that.

The technical challenge isn't where it's at for me. To me, that's mostly just a way to get where people don't get much. I know that most people much prefer a good downclimb to a rappel, but I'm happy with either - as long as I get to experience the place, the space, the feel of the location.

My two bits...

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Fun fun fun. I like other stuff too but man canyons are fun.
    I really prefer women canyons(oops I'm headed to the gargage bin)

I prefer a solid combo of raps and downclimbs, water is great when it's hot out but otherwise it's just another obstacle.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    I do it because it's fun, for me it has the most of what I like all wrapped up into one sport. Hiking, views, amazing places, remoteness, climbing, swimming, good friends, etc... Fun fun fun. I like other stuff too but man canyons are fun.
    I agree with Shaggy in that it wraps up a lot of what I like to do in the outdoors. I like climbing and down climbing, hiking, abseiling, amazing scenery, etc, etc, etc.

Every time I do a canyon I think this is what John Wesley Powell must have felt like in his adventures. Especially on canyons I have never done before I wonder what will be around the next corner. I know others have done the canyon before but I still think of it as

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Also like Ram wrote the "in the moment." Time and worries seem to stand still when out exploring. Words could never describe what is in the heart.

Bogley BigShot
    Why? .... Because ......

it fits the weather and such I suppose.

Hiking and Canyoneering ---- gives me exercise and stuff to photograph and share and I like to both of them... which ones depends on the weather, time of year and who I am going with. I like to do things I have not done yet ... when doing it every weekend for years soon all the nearby hiking is done so canyons need to go on the list and then soon those are done so have to ....

Go with Shane I guess.