Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite types of canyons

Favorite types of canyons

So while we have been talking about what our favorite canyon is, some people are not able to pick one specific one as a favorite, so maybe we can talk about what your favorite type of canyon is. When I started canyoneering it was all about Zion. Zion was my favorite place in the world and one big draw for me was that by learning how to get down slots, I could see so much more of the park than I would be able to otherwise. Zion canyons surpassed my expectations and stand out as some of the most amazing places I've been in the park, but Canyoneering ended up being a lot more fun than I expected and my reasons for doing canyons has changed somewhat since. Don't get me wrong, I still love Zion but the character of the canyons are generally pretty similar. Rap and swim, hike a little, and rap and swim. Heaps and Imlay are much more challenging, but are still mainly rap and swim with some difficult pothole problems when not full of water. Canyons outside Zion, especially around Glen Canyon, tend to have more variety. They have shorter drops, many of which can be downclimbed rather than rappelled. They tend to be skinnier and pose their own unique challenges. As my skills improve I find the more varied, and more physical canyons more enjoyable than the straightforward rap and swim type stuff. Canyons like Hard Day Harvey, Choprock, Alcatraz, Trail, Chambers, Zero G, what Tom on his rave calls Frosted Flakes, and Limbo, are all more my style. Anything I can get down without the rope is much more enjoyable to me than rapping (nothing too crazy though). What are ya'll's favorite types of canyons?

Eric

PS You can tell it's a slow night for me at work, I haven't posted anything this long for a long time!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This sounds really retarded, but I like all canyons equally. They all appeal to me in different ways. I don't really prefer one over the other. Kinda like my kids -- I don't love one more than the other. I love them all equally, and appreciate the unique qualities that they each posess.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I'm kinda like rock on this one. I started in Zion but have been having a blast elsewhere. I am not good at stemming and downclimbing but still having a blast in the North Wash area and hope to tick a few more off in the Powell and Escalante area this summer. But for a great time in a big-boy water park, Zion cannot be beat.
    Life is Good

Put me into the "I like them all" camp.... my only preference is I favor a canyon that I have not done before over a repeat.

I'll take a new 3 star route over a rerun 5 star route anytime.

Also in my old age

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Any canyon is good.

If I had a pick it would be a canyon requiring a variety of skills from rappelling, climbing, down climbing, etc. I need to go out with someone and learn how to escape potholes so I can do some of those canyons too.

I'm with the rest of them. I really like doing new canyons, but I can have just as much fun doing Keyhole at night with good friends.
    "Mountain climbers rope themselves together, probably to prevent the sensible ones from
    going home." Unknown.

Generaly, I like canyons that have water. Wet canyons just seem more pretty to me. Loved Imlay and I loved the Squeeze for that reason. Rappels are kind of a hassle to me. I hate wearing a harness through a canyon and I also hate having to stop and rig rappels every 15 minutes. That being said, i am more in line with Shaggy, I like canyons that offer a chance to downclimb rather than rappel. Hard Day Harvey is killer for that

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    Generaly, I like canyons that have water.
    Dude, we need to make a trip up to the PNW this summer! You need to get down to Matacanes too... those water canyons are super fun for sure!

Bogley BigShot
    I like ones where I don't have to swim in cold water without a wetsuit.

... and ones where I get to take a lot of photos! --- Something too long like Heaps does not allow for photo time.

Other than that... I like them all.... variety is what 's cool about canyoneering.

Generaly, I like canyons that have water. Wet canyons just seem more pretty to me. Loved Imlay and I loved the Squeeze for that reason. Rappels are kind of a hassle to me. I hate wearing a harness through a canyon and I also hate having to stop and rig rappels every 15 minutes. That being said, i am more in line with Shaggy, I like canyons that offer a chance to downclimb rather than rappel. Hard Day Harvey is killer for that
    I'm with Reedus as far as liking water canyons.. weird thing is, when I'd first heard of canyoneering, the part about swimming & water (I'm not a great swimmer) was the one thing that didn't excite me at all.
    Now, I think that the element of water, ice, snow and even quicksand (which I encountered in Englestead for the first time ever) make things more interesting. Rapelling in a waterfall is way different and more exciting than a dry rappel.

But then again, I'm with Shane when it really comes down to it. It's more who I'm with, cuz every canyon I've ever done was pretty in it's own way, and felt special. I've liked them all. And every time I do a repeat canyon with someone different, it's fresh and new all over again.
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Generaly, I like canyons that have water.
    Dude, we need to make a trip up to the PNW this summer! You need to get down to Matacanes too... those water canyons are super fun for sure!
    Ahhh..Matacanes. Good times. Nothing like hucking yourself off a 50 footer.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I like most all canyons too, but prefer the wet canyons as they're more scenic. I actually prefer a low-flow class C. Kolob is about perfect, and one of my favs

Humbling

Yea I like them all, from the scenic, wet or dry, big drops to the technical but the canyons I really remember loving where the ones that where humbling.

This feeling is a lot like playing in alpine, or aid climbing where you're way off the deck and get put in your place quickly. The water conditions have changed and even knowing you ran the drop before where do you stand now. Same for new routes, no matter how many scouting trips you have taken, once you drop in your committed, and there is no way to know everything that lays before you now. The best new routes are the ones where you are stopped in your tracks and have to come back another day.

My little brother flys out tomorrow (Thurs 4/3/08) heading back to the Ruth's Gorge once again, where him and his partner keep trying to put up a technical route on the Moose's Tooth. The pointless point is, these are the routes, the ones that shut us down and pick us up in a way at the same time. Welp for me at least.

Take care
    EW

I would love to get down to Mexico. Just need someone to tag along that know what they are doing. As for the PNW, just say when. I say we hit it in June.

I would love to get down to Mexico. Just need someone to tag along that know what they are doing. As for the PNW, just say when. I say we hit it in June.
    PNW in June is probably too early. Water is way too high and too much snow... August is the better choice. I'd go again, but I won't be around. I definitely want to do Mexico sometime too. I'd even humble myself and tag along with you Reed, as long as Eric was in attendance to moderate...

BTW, my favorite canyons are always the pretty ones. The physical side is sometimes trumps the beauty, but I'm a sucker for eye candy. Hell, I even did Zebra this weekend, and the thing SUCKS as a slot. But, it is pretty, thus worth the time.

Now, if you can combine beauty and FUN, you've got the goods... Imlay, and Choprock are at the top for me so far.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    BTW, my favorite canyons are always the pretty ones. The physical side is sometimes trumps the beauty, but I'm a sucker for eye candy. Hell, I even did Zebra this weekend, and the thing SUCKS as a slot. But, it is pretty, thus worth the time.

Now, if you can combine beauty and FUN, you've got the goods... Imlay, and Choprock are at the top for me so far.
    Nice tag quote!

Tom

Naw, I'm a mello guy when I am not surfin the Interwebs. Easy to spout off and tick people off when you are behing the safety of your computer screen. Just ask ole Wadsworth. Can't go wrong canyoneering with Eric either. He has got a killer Dave Chappel impersonation that will have ya rolling all through the canyons laughin. Say when Dan and we'll head down and hit the slots.

Yea, Reed is all talk, he's pretty mellow in real life. He just really likes fire and explosions, but when you grow up in a small town what else are you gonna do right Reed? August sounds like the time of year for the PNW, seems like the season up there is pretty short.