Thread: Not too sure this fits in this category?

Not too sure this fits in this category?

I just returned from Zion after rescuing an injured climber. The party had climbed the first pitch of Moonlight Buttress (5.7) and some of you may know that it is a long ramp bearing right, and then a step around the corner to a crack system that goes up vertically. Well..apparently one of the party decided that he had left something in his pack at the base of the first pitch and rappelled down then stepped back around the corner to gain the ramp. He slipped and did a long pendulum back to the right and smacked into a corner. He injured his hip but was able to make it down to a ledge 40' off the ground. We went up and established a guiding line from the ledge to the talus slope below and the trail. Then a team carried him down the trail, across the river and to the ambulance. I think he'll be fine! One tough kid for sure!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Good job on the rescue guys!
    It's climbing related, I'd say you posted to the right place.

Re: Not too sure this fits in this category?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    I just returned from Zion after rescuing an injured climber. The party had climbed the first pitch of Moonlight Buttress (5.7) and some of you may know that it is a long ramp bearing right, and then a step around the corner to a crack system that goes up vertically.
    5.7 my arse...! Felt more like 5.9 to me last time I led it...(think I've done that pitch at least three times...). Can be a sandy little bugger, especially in wall boots...

Strange things that kids do these daze. That first pitch goes way around to the right. If you have to haul, you're much better off positioning your pack below that belay anchor and well to the right of the start.

Shoulda placed a cam or two in the crack on that ramp, to help guide the rappel. Glad the guy wasn't hurt worse.

Yeah, Bo, good stuff. And a good reminder to mind the rappel especially on traverses. Thanks!

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    I just returned from Zion after rescuing an injured climber. The party had climbed the first pitch of Moonlight Buttress (5.7) and some of you may know that it is a long ramp bearing right, and then a step around the corner to a crack system that goes up vertically.
    5.7 my arse...! Felt more like 5.9 to me last time I led it...(think I've done that pitch at least three times...). Can be a sandy little bugger, especially in wall boots...

Strange things that kids do these daze. That first pitch goes way around to the right. If you have to haul, you're much better off positioning your pack below that belay anchor and well to the right of the start.

Shoulda placed a cam or two in the crack on that ramp, to help guide the rappel. Glad the guy wasn't hurt worse.

Yeah, Bo, good stuff. And a good reminder to mind the rappel especially on traverses. Thanks!

-Brian in SLC
    I've been up the route 4 times and only lead the first pitch twice...I remember it at a SCARY 5.7, but then that was a long time ago?

It does seem that rapelling takes it's toll on a lot of folks? Going up you make the choice where to go (or at least the terrain dictates). Comin' down good ole mother nature sometimes dissagrees with what you want! Pendulums can be fun, but boy sometimes they aint so much fun!

I'm very happy that he landed on a ledge and stayed put or it may have been a much longer ride than he had reckoned for.

Bo

I've been up the route 4 times and only lead the first pitch twice...I remember it at a SCARY 5.7, but then that was a long time ago?
    So, based on your post from the "dark" side (ha ha):

"Rescue was the packaging and extraction of an individual from a ledge
    40' up and to the right of the start of the first pitch of Moonlight
    Buttress. FOS were a husband/wife doing some jogging. Arrived sent 4
    people up to the ledge after setting a fixed line then set up anchors
    on top of the ledge (not a helicopter). Used a guiding line with
    basic lower/belay 150'. Patient hurt so didn't walk out under his own
    power. Taken to the hospital. Don't know his condition? Good thing
    the Virgin hasn't peaked yet ;-)"

How you get back up to the ledge? You lead the 5.10 variation straight up?

Glad there was an anchor available besides a helicopter (!).

Yeah, no kiddin' on the Virgin. There wouldna been any hikers around, and the run for help would have been much, much longer.

Good on ya, Bo. You hear about the SAR stuff going on here in SLC County? Thoughts? Yikers...

-Brian in SLC

So, based on your post from the "dark" side (ha ha):

"Rescue was the packaging and extraction of an individual from a ledge
    40' up and to the right of the start of the first pitch of Moonlight
    Buttress. FOS were a husband/wife doing some jogging. Arrived sent 4
    people up to the ledge after setting a fixed line then set up anchors
    on top of the ledge (not a helicopter). Used a guiding line with
    basic lower/belay 150'. Patient hurt so didn't walk out under his own
    power. Taken to the hospital. Don't know his condition? Good thing
    the Virgin hasn't peaked yet ;-)"

How you get back up to the ledge? You lead the 5.10 variation straight up?

I'd have to SB you on that...Kind of an unusual circumstance

Glad there was an anchor available besides a helicopter (!).

Yeah, no kiddin' on the Virgin. There wouldna been any hikers around, and the run for help would have been much, much longer.

Good on ya, Bo. You hear about the SAR stuff going on here in SLC County? Thoughts? Yikers...

-Brian in SLC
    No I haven't heard? Whats going on up there?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=2816805

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Veteran volunteers are quitting the Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office search and rescue program just as it is trying to expand into urban areas.

The volunteers are quitting over a proposal to train paid deputies to play a larger role in wilderness search and rescue efforts.

Last week, 10 members, or one-third of the volunteer mountain rescue team, quit.

In part, their resignation letters say that including law enforcement and emergency responders who aren't experienced in search and rescue techniques could compromise the safety of the team and those needing help.

Sheriff Jim Winder says deputies who patrol the canyon need the additional rescue training so they'll be prepared in an emergency.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695259243,00.html

Interesting...

-Brian in SLC

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=2816805

-Brian in SLC
    Wow! I understand the concerns going on up there! A small scale in a different sort of way has happened here in Wa. County that closely parallels what is taking place there.

In many ways I've felt some of the same pains those volunteers must be feeling as well. I've always been low man, but sometimes it pains me to see the ebbing. It is the nature of the business I guess? What ultimately counts is everyones safety, but at what expense?

Bogley BigShot
    The volunteers are quitting over a proposal to train paid deputies to play a larger role in wilderness search and rescue efforts.

Last week, 10 members, or one-third of the volunteer mountain rescue team, quit.

Is this any different than the young little rangers who join the SAR team each year and get paid for SAR's? I think think its a good thing. You have to have your strong base of experienced people, but you need the others to learn the ropes and grow with the program to take over some day and most of all to carry those heavy litters through the narrows at midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

Is this any different than the young little rangers who join the SAR team each year and get paid for SAR's? I think think its a good thing. You have to have your strong base of experienced people, but you need the others to learn the ropes and grow with the program to take over some day and most of all to carry those heavy litters through the narrows at midnight.
    Maybe a difference between County and Federal agencies? Particularly small (staffing) National Parks that are seasonal parks. The season is upon us in Southern Utah. Many new personel have been hired. Yes they make great pack mules, but by the time that they have the skills necessary to handle partially a true technical rescue, they are gone.

In Salt Lake, many of the volunteers I'm sure reside there permanently and are extremely experienced not only with the techniques, but also with the surroundings. It is a shame to throw them under the umbrella of an entity that has vastly less experience. I agree that the Sherrifs Dept ought to have key members training and working with, but under the more experienced volunteers.

Just my too-sense!