Thread: Red Cliffs

Red Cliffs

Took the kids to Red Cliffs rec area for a little hiking. For those of you that have not been there it is North of the free way from Quail Creek Reservoir. You take the Leed's exit and continue south to Harrisburg go under the free way and follow the road. It does require a entrance fee, but at $2.00 per car it ain't bad. The trail head starts on the west side of the camp ground with parking there. There is also some Native American ruins to the east of the camp area that are an easy half mile walk. When you get up the canyon trail there are several small pools and the stream running through the bottom. At one point you have to climb caved steps to get around one of the larger pools. From there you can find the trail up the cliff to the right that will put you above this large pool. If you look close to the north east you can find a trial that will take you upstream farther. How far you go is up to you and your ability. I had a 13 and 7 year old and went about where we wanted. Here are some of the photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    shoot straight, cast far, and hike all day.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

nice pics and TR! Those look like authentic moki steps
    The man thong is wrong.

Thanks for the TR. I really like the Red Cliffs area and need to go further in from the steps.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Nice! That is a great hike, looks like the stream is running real nice this time of year. Not sure if you saw, but there are some great dinosaur tracks on the way out to the indian camp (if you want to call it an indian camp, lol). Those steps look a bit larger than last time I was out, they must have "enhanced" them eh?

Here's a pic from this summer, ignore the goober in the straw hat (thats me) but check out the steps. Hmmm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like a great place to take the family.

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    Not sure if you saw, but there are some great dinosaur tracks on the way out to the indian camp (if you want to call it an indian camp, lol).
    I do remember seeing those. It has been a few years since we went out to those ruins. Nice little walk, but after seeing them once it not much different the next trip. Not to many people knew the "camp" was there until the structures were built.
    shoot straight, cast far, and hike all day.

Bogley BigShot

Awesome, fun, family place! Always a treat! Thanks for jogging the memory! There's a pictograph on the alcove located up the sandy hill as you take the last bend out of the sunshine toward the pools with the rope and the hand holds. Just shinny up the sand and you'll see a red man there. Never knew about the dino tracks. Cool!
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Wow looks awesome, how far away from St George is it?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Wow looks awesome, how far away from St George is it?
    Red Cliffs is right by Harrisburg off of I-15. Well the closest exit coming from the north heading southbound (towards St. George) is exit #23. Heading out of St George northbound the best exits is #22. The first proper St George exit (St. George Blvd) is exit #8. That puts it just over 15 miles but since you have to drive on the frontage road let