Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Canyon?

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I try to look away.... but I can't....... must work. :popcorn

As to your question, yes and yes. Prettiest and most challenging/fun. I love being dialed in the canyoneering zone. Truly the only time when my brain is completely NOT thinking about what I do every other day is when I am in a canyon. It sounds paradoxical, but to canyoneer in Kolob, Heaps and Imlay require me to completely relax mentally and physically and the beauty is spectacular. Pure relaxation (and I am completely pooped at the end of it all ) Yes I have to completely focus on the canyons but that is pure mental relaxation. Nothing like the last sequence of raps out of Heaps to completely clear the noggin of everything else but the last sequence of raps. Not sure any of that made sense so it fits with this thread.
    No! Don't work! Come in here and play

I loved Kolob for the beauty, Bo made it easy for me as usual -- all but the waterfalls on my head! (and the kitty in there) -- but have not done Imlay and Heaps yet. --- the beauty to me often comes out in the pictures --- so sometimes the easiest is the best because I have more photo time... which would be much more difficult to come by in the other 2 canyons from what I have heard. ... but sometimes --- not often! -- I like to put the camera down and just play. I almost did that when I went to North Wash with Shane and Alex but their nudging got me to take it and I am glad I did! They were so much fun to photograph!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I try to look away.... but I can't....... must work. (And I think I like Heaps or Imlay or Kolob the best or maybe something else.... what were we talking about?)

I hear those 3 mentioned a lot. Are they because they are the prettiest or because they are the toughest 3 in Zion?
    I think we were talking about getting my TR's online instead of....errrr oops...yeah, I like those too!

Bogley BigShot

Re: I say we start a thread about the nastiest canyon water

Quote Originally Posted by intellectualdesperado
    Heaps. With ice box as a close second. Ice box would. I think I like Ice box so much because we setup a zip line across the long nasty swim at the last rappel. Which by the way was a bout 2wks from light sweet crude.

I REALLY like Icebox and totally agree with you about that swim... ohhhh that was cold, but at least we did it in the summer so it was quick and we warmed up quick. It's sort of cool to exit by the Kolob Arch too. That entry was a killler... talk about bushwhacking!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    How does every thread always deteriorate from canyons to male or female genitalia in a matter of a couple posts? Can't we stay on track just some of the time?

Ok, my favorite canyon? Hmm...

Gotta say Chop, Frosted Flakes, and Imlay are all up there.

What is Frosted Flakes?

What is Frosted Flakes?
    Frosted Flakes is an AKA for a canyon in Escalante called Sleepy Hollow.

Steve Allen called it Big Tony in one of his books.... so Tom called it Frosted Flakes as in "There GGGrrrreeettt!"..... get it?

It's all part of the hide the canyon and confuse the n00b's game.

I've been told the canyon will be in MK's next book....

hhheeeeyyyyyyy..... This belongs in the Canyoneering section.

I thought I saw it in there before, maybe it got moved by accident.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    Haven't done it yet, but I am pretty sure that Choprock is going to be my favorite when I knock it out this year. I've done Imlay, and that was good, but we blasted through it so fast that I didn't really have time to enjoy it.

Choprock seems to be a favorite... maybe 50/50 with Heaps? I am assuming its one of the harder canyons too?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    What is Frosted Flakes?
    Frosted Flakes is an ...
    whatever would you do without the nice folks on the internet to tell you these things?

thinking about ever getting into this slot?

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Maybe one day.....

Escalante doesn't work real well with my schedule/drive/location/partners/other hobbies/yada/yada, which is the main reason my website is a little thin on that area.

But hey.... you never know. I just need to figure out a way to keep my job from interfering with my play.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Maybe one day.....

Escalante doesn't work real well with my schedule/drive/location/partners/other hobbies/yada/yada, which is the main reason my website is a little thin on that area.

But hey.... you never know. I just need to figure out a way to keep my job from interfering with my play.

I like Escalante

But yeah.... It's nice when the threads turn back to to thread title....

....so in the spirit of everyone having a nice day....

My favorite canyon is Zion is Pinecreek.

Easy in, easy out, no riff-raff, some of the best scenery to be found in any slot canyon. Come on.... is there a better section of slot in the entire world then the Cathedral rappel? Only down side is the Harley's in the tunnel.... but I can live with that since I can make lunch at Oscar's, do a second canyon in the afternoon and still make happy hour at the Pizza Noodle.

My favorite "manly chest thumping" canyon in Zion is Imlay, Heaps is nice but the final rappel sucks, Kolob is over-rated.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Easy in, easy out, no riff-raff, some of the best scenery to be found in any slot canyon. Come on.... is there a better section of slot in the entire world then the Cathedral rappel? Only down side is the Harley's in the tunnel.... but I can live with that since I can make lunch at Oscar's, do a second canyon in the afternoon and still make happy hour at the Pizza Noodle.

again trying to get back on topic

My favorit Zion canyon is Mystery. Mystery spring rappel, that is classic. It was only my second canyon ever, I need to go back. Trip anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Randi

Off to Zion tomorrow!!!! Whoo-hooo!

To lighten the mood a little - here's some picks of last Saturdays California Canyon! http://picasaweb.google.com/advntrin...TheGGang032208
    Wow! Don't know if I would want to come to Zion after seeing those pictures! That looks like a beautiful canyon! Great photos!

OK.... I put on my modertor hat again today and split all the crap out of this thread into the "Bitch Bitch Bitch" thread.

Let's try and keep this thread on topic. Any more bitching in this thread and I'll just delete your post. You have been warned. You are free to post, bitch or flame in the Bitch Bitch Bitch thread.

I'll attempt to do this a little more often when we have a train wreak.

OK.... I put on my modertor hat again today and slipt all the crap out of this thread into the "Bitch Bitch Bitch"....

Let's try and keep this thread on topic. Any more bitching in this thread and I'll just delete your post. You have been warned. You are free to post, bitch or flame in the Bitch Bitch Bitch thread.

How much are they paying you! This just doesn't seem to be you? Not bitchin', just odd!

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner

again trying to get back on topic

My favorit Zion canyon is Mystery. Mystery spring rappel, that is classic. It was only my second canyon ever, I need to go back. Trip anyone?
    Too much snow in there for me right now! Been there, done that! I was in Mystery I think '94' or '95'? and wore sandals and shorts. The snow was 2' deep and I was dumb and miserable! The bad part was that we didn't get out til 8pm. Went to the lodge to get some dinner and the waitress asked where we were from? I said near St George. She asked if we were going home tonight and I said yes. She said no you aren't! I asked why She said that Sand Bench just slid and washed out 200 yards of the road! Well she was right! I didn't go home that night! I believe it was April?

Wow... splittin' out the drama sure killed this thread.

So I'll try a bump.....

Kolob is over-rated.
    I was so disappointed with that canyon on so many levels.....

Thanks for splitting it.

My favorite "manly chest thumping" canyon in Zion is Imlay, Heaps is nice but the final rappel sucks, Kolob is over-rated.

Pine is definitely a cool canyon, and Cathedral is certainly awesome. Too many people (usually) in there for my tastes though. I like to go to the canyons for escape and a little bit of solitude...

The final rappel is definitely interesting on Heaps; but I enjoyed it. I don't mind big drops. The rest of the canyon is so fun, even if I didn't like the rappel, I'd still find it worth it. The beauty in the mossy section by the iron room was incredible. Reminded me a little bit of the Aussie canyons in the Blue Mountains...

I personally liked Kolob; and that was even after doing the MIA exit three days in a row. Thought it was pretty, and very fun as we had a decent flow. I like canyons that present some challenge along with beauty (if you haven't figured that out from my favorites...)

Take care,
    A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    I personally liked Kolob; and that was even after doing the MIA exit three days in a row. Thought it was pretty, and very fun as we had a decent flow.
    Ditto Kolob. Great canyon. Some of the colors and the pools in there are stupendious. And the hike out to the Virgin, with the bonus of the classic narrows, perfect. Great long canyon system. Has to rival Buckskin for length and the height of the walls are amazing.

Heaps and Imlay would have to rate right up there too, with their tight twisty narrows.

I could do Pine Creek over and over and over...

I'm a rap and swim kiddie canyoneer!

At least I was...when does the canyoneer membership expire? My last canyon was on Crete in 2006...

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi

Off to Zion tomorrow!!!! Whoo-hooo!

To lighten the mood a little - here's some picks of last Saturdays California Canyon! http://picasaweb.google.com/advntrin...TheGGang032208
    Wow! Don't know if I would want to come to Zion after seeing those pictures! That looks like a beautiful canyon! Great photos!
    Yeah, Eaton is an awesome canyon (if you can avoid the poison oak. ;) Did you do the slide Randi? Or did you rap it?

Here's my buddy Ken showing how the slide should be done:

Here's mine...

Note: You may have to go full screen as sometimes Youtube has an issue with portrait based movies... (I don't know how to do this with embedded movies though...)

The slide is a blast, but it sure feels like you are in the air a lot longer just after your back leaves the rock...

Take care,
    A.J.