Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Canyon?

Haven't done it yet, but I am pretty sure that Choprock is going to be my favorite when I knock it out this year. I've done Imlay, and that was good, but we blasted through it so fast that I didn't really have time to enjoy it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Considering that I have only 4 slot canyons under my belt, I'd say Main Blue John was my favorite.

i'm backing shane on this one

"the one i'm in" or "the last one i did"

they are all my favorite for different reasons

Re: What's Your Favorite Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    How many times have I asked Shane this? Never has he given me an answer other than "the last canyon I did."

So.... looking up a canyon Bo and I are heading to in the morning .. I find this.

http://climb-utah.com/Misc/favorite.htm
    Ok Shane and Alex and Adam...what the heck did you do to this woman last weekend!!!!!! She's an animal....Tanya was spotting me on the downclimbs as we got into Yankee Doodle. Tanya.....you can forget the Hydroskins though. What you need is a pair of 220 Volt electric socks to keep those tootsies warm! A fun day in Yankee Doodle with a very special girl! They just don't make 'em' any better or funner to be with! Enjoyable. Hope to see some of your photos soon?
    Bo

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    How many times have I asked Shane this? Never has he given me an answer other than "the last canyon I did."

So.... looking up a canyon Bo and I are heading to in the morning .. I find this.

http://climb-utah.com/Misc/favorite.htm
    Ok Shane and Alex and Adam...what the heck did you do to this woman last weekend!!!!!! She's an animal....Tanya was spotting me on the downclimbs as we got into Yankee Doodle. Tanya.....you can forget the Hydroskins though. What you need is a pair of 220 Volt electric socks to keep those tootsies warm! A fun day in Yankee Doodle with a very special girl! They just don't make 'em' any better or funner to be with! Enjoyable. Hope to see some of your photos soon?
    Bo
    Oops! Forgot this thread is about favorite canyon? I hate to admit it, but it has to be the storm sewers under Albuquerque in 1967. AWESOME! Might explain my demented idea of adventure?

For this country, Heaps is my new favorite. Choprock is probably second. Both are wonderful canyons. Make sure you are ready for both of them though; definitely not a beginner canyon...

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Considering that I have only 4 slot canyons under my belt, I'd say Main Blue John was my favorite.
    The lower part of Main Blue used to be one of my favorites (from the confluence to the big drop); Main Blue also is pretty spectacular. When you are up to it, do the squeeze variation of East Blue. That was a blast!

Take care,
    A.J.

Ok Shane and Alex and Adam...what the heck did you do to this woman last weekend!!!!!! She's an animal....Tanya was spotting me on the downclimbs
    You watch.... her skill set will take a major leap forward over the next few month's. I've seen it happen a hundred times when canyoneers who mainly frequent only one area step into a different environment.

I've also witnessed major skill leaps when one clique infiltrates into anther. Usually both groups experience a big leap in skills if they enter with an open attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Ok Shane and Alex and Adam...what the heck did you do to this woman last weekend!!!!!! She's an animal....Tanya was spotting me on the downclimbs
    You watch.... her skill set will take a major leap forward over the next few month's. I've seen it happen a hundred times when canyoneers who mainly frequent only one area step into a different environment.

I've also witnessed major skill leaps when one clique infiltrates into anther. Usually both groups experience a big leap in skills if they enter with an open attitude.

Ok then? I wanna "infiltrate" another clique. My skills leave a lot to be desired. (hint-hint) "I have an open attitude."

"the last canyon I did."
    Usually the last canyon I did is the one I'm most interested in talking about. Sometime's I get accused of "pumping" a new canyon so folk's will use my beta to visit it.... but honestly, I just get excited whenever I do a new canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    "the last canyon I did."
    Usually the last canyon I did is the one I'm most interested in talking about. Sometime's I get accused of "pumping" a new canyon so folk's will use my beta to visit it.... but honestly, I just get excited whenever I do a new canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    I've realized that its time to just LOOSEN UP, RELAX and GO WITH THE FLOW.
    Fair enough, but just realize that not everyone shares this view of what is "loose," or "relaxing." And when a relative few dictate all the flow of the forum, it gets old for those of us who don't necessarily find this type of talk enjoyable, but would otherwise find this topic an enjoyable read.
    I'll be honest to say that my favorite canyon ever was the dugout canoe ride up Pasagnan River to Pasagnan Falls in Luzon however it wasn't true canyoneering. Favorite canyon? Might Be Kolob Creek at 9cfs or possibly Checkerboard Canyon? Most enjoyable for me ever though was a trip in Mystery with Tanya to test the flow of the Narrows at 170cfs and report back to the park our findings.

I've done a bunch of California canyons, a bunch of Zion canyons including Heaps & Imlay. I've done Chop rock, Neon, and a bunch of others in Utah including a slew of skinnies over there in North Wash. I've also done canyons in Mexico and Spain and on the isle of Crete, so I've seen all kinds of canyons and I really loved them all. I don't think I've ever done a canyon I didn't fall in love with at the time!

There is one canyon however that I keep going back to over and over again, and every time I go it still feels super magic. It's definitely one of the most appealing canyons I've ever done.

I think If I had to choose a "favorite" I guess it would be this one. It's a relatively easy canyon too, with way more hiking than the actual canyoneering part of it. Here are some pictures ~ See if you can guess which one it is. Hint: it's in Utah!

http://picasaweb.google.com/advntrinxs/LikeMagic
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

I say we start a thread about the nastiest canyon water

Heaps. With ice box as a close second. Ice box would. I think I like Ice box so much because we setup a zip line across the long nasty swim at the last rappel. Which by the way was a bout 2wks from light sweet crude.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    Here are some pictures ~ See if you can guess which one it is. Hint: it's in Utah!

Randi, that's Fat Man's Misery.

Picking a favorite is hard, but the Ram special... Neon and Choprock combo is probably my favorite trip to do. Neon from tri-burough bridges is so good, you leave thinking that is one of the best canyons ever... then you do Chop and Neon gets completely blown away. Heaps is up there with Chop. Kolob flowing is probably the most splashy fun. Frosted Flakes is by far the best really scary hard canyon I've done. Pandora's Box is up there for me, Hard Day Harvey is up there too. Doing some new stuff next month that I'm told could take some favorite canyon spots for me... we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    Here are some pictures ~ See if you can guess which one it is. Hint: it's in Utah!

Randi, that's Fat Man's Misery.
    Yup! That's the one! i LOVE that canyon. Love the hike. Love all the surreal, otherworldly things I see in and outta the canyon. There is something (to me) so magical about that place. First time through there I found a deer skull up on the ridge with a huge rack of horns. I kept him. Took him through the canyon with me, and took it home to my son.

Picking a favorite is hard, but the Ram special... Neon and Choprock combo is probably my favorite trip to do. Neon from tri-burough bridges is so good, you leave thinking that is one of the best canyons ever... then you do Chop and Neon gets completely blown away.

Ya know...I didn't feel that way when I did that combo. I loved Neon too, and didn't really feel like Chop blew it away. I guess I just really liked them both, and neither seemed better than the other. I'm weird I guess. 2nd time I did Chop is where I met you Eric! And I think that's the same w/e you guys did Frosted Flakes. You know what my favorite part of that whole entire trip was? This is gonna sound strange, but waking up at Fence canyon and hearing about 30 different birds singing in the early morning. To this day, I wish I had a recording of that! Talk about special! It was the coolest thing I'd ever heard on a camping trip! But as Ram has pointed out on occasion, I find joy in the simplest of things!

Heaps is up there with Chop. Kolob flowing is probably the most splashy fun. Frosted Flakes is by far the best really scary hard canyon I've done. Pandora's Box is up there for me, Hard Day Harvey is up there too. Doing some new stuff next month that I'm told could take some favorite canyon spots for me... we'll see.

I've not done Kolob or hard Day Harvey yet, but I have done Pandora's and that one was way special to me. I did it in the dead of winter, and with the combination of snow and ice it was phenomenal. I actually drove all the way out there from Calif. day after Christmas (10 hours) just to do that one canyon. Then I turned around and drove home the next day to unpack and repack for a hiking trip with my boyfriend! It was definately worth it!

I'm hoping to find a partner to descend Kolob with me over memorial weekend in May, before I continue on to Escalante. I'll post a note here when I start looking for partners - hopefully someone will bite! That's if the water conservancy hasn't started their release by then.

Kolob has been on my to do list ever since I first started doing canyons!

PS: I don't think I'd like doing hard scary canyons though! Tons of stemming and heinous up-climbs like what you guys did in Frosted Flakes doesn't appeal to me at all. Those be "crazy" boy canyons!

Anybody heard of Wheatgrass Canyon on Monte Cristo? It starts at Lightning Ridge and go's to Causey Resevoir. If your willing to work for it, you can bag a pretty be elk or deer, in this canyon, but be warned it's not nick named "Ass Kicker" for nothing. As far as liking it, it has great heritage for my family, we've hunted it for more than 60 years.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

Light sweet crude you say? Did Spry a year or so ago and the water in the last few rappels was almost enough to make you dry heave. Shaggy will testify.

I try to look away.... but I can't....... must work. (And I think I like Heaps or Imlay or Kolob the best or maybe something else.... what were we talking about?)
    Life is Good

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I try to look away.... but I can't....... must work. (And I think I like Heaps or Imlay or Kolob the best or maybe something else.... what were we talking about?)

I hear those 3 mentioned a lot. Are they because they are the prettiest or because they are the toughest 3 in Zion?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card

I hear those 3 mentioned a lot. Are they because they are the prettiest or because they are the toughest 3 in Zion?
    Since I am responding, this makes exactly two posts in a row that are back on the original and same topic for that matter. As to your question, yes and yes. Prettiest and most challenging/fun. I love being dialed in the canyoneering zone. Truly the only time when my brain is completely NOT thinking about what I do every other day is when I am in a canyon. It sounds paradoxical, but to canyoneer in Kolob, Heaps and Imlay require me to completely relax mentally and physically and the beauty is spectacular. Pure relaxation (and I am completely pooped at the end of it all ) Yes I have to completely focus on the canyons but that is pure mental relaxation. Nothing like the last sequence of raps out of Heaps to completely clear the noggin of everything else but the last sequence of raps. Not sure any of that made sense so it fits with this thread.
    Life is Good