Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zion Narrows.

So when are you thinking approximately?
    I think Tanya will be safer with you Bo.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    So when are you thinking approximately?
    I think Tanya will be safer with you Bo.
    Looking at the current flow peaks and looking at weather for the next few days....my guess is wednesday? Still not sure though? With hot weather projected for sunday and monday it could rise quickly and maybe tuesday will be the day? I will keep an eye on it and maybe sunday night or monday morning will be a better tell-tale?

Sounds good, I will try to leave SLC the night before and stay somewhere on the way or maybe make it all the way to Springdale that night.

What time do you want to get going in the morning? I assume pretty early so we can be on the river by 8-9am?

Sounds good, I will try to leave SLC the night before and stay somewhere on the way or maybe make it all the way to Springdale that night.

What time do you want to get going in the morning? I assume pretty early so we can be on the river by 8-9am?
    Well!? I just got my pack loaded with the Tandem Tomcat and seats and paddles (no lifejackets, helmets, throwbag, food, water, wetsuits, emergency supplies, pump etc. ) and its weighing in at 68 lbs. I think I'm going to try to get hold of a Dr. friend of mine and see if he'll loan me his Tandem Bandit!

Yes...I think we'll want to be driving up to either Chamberlain Ranch by 6 AM or so. The actual trip through the Narrows once on the boats I've been told can be as quick as 4-6 hours. If we have to hike from Chamberlain Ranch it will take us 4 hours to get to Deep Creek. That puts us at the put-in at around noon. 30 minutes to rig and batton down the hatches on the boats and then 4-6 hours of adventure? Pretty conservative figures I believe?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Yeah! No info yet on the Clear Creek access? I have just heard that there is an ATV road that actually drops down into Clear Creek and goes back up the other side?
    When you wrote Clear Creek, did you mean Deep Creek? I haven't heard of Clear Creek. Looking at the topo maps, it looks like there is a faint road that crosses the NF Virgin River and gets you within a mile of Deep Creek.

Thanks! I'll be excited to read your TR. In a week, I'll be heading down for a weeklong+ trip.

Wish I could go.

Get lots of footage!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bru
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Yeah! No info yet on the Clear Creek access? I have just heard that there is an ATV road that actually drops down into Clear Creek and goes back up the other side?
    When you wrote Clear Creek, did you mean Deep Creek? I haven't heard of Clear Creek. Looking at the topo maps, it looks like there is a faint road that crosses the NF Virgin River and gets you within a mile of Deep Creek.

Thanks! I'll be excited to read your TR. In a week, I'll be heading down for a weeklong+ trip.
    You are right! I just got Clear Creek confused with Deep Creek. Clear Creek skirts route 9 on the east side of Zion.

On the map I look at the same road on the east side of "Deep Creek" and wonder what the route down is to access the river? I'm waiting (hopefully monday) for my friend to present me with a map showing the "ATV route" into Deep Creek? I have loaded my pack partially and with wetsuits and other gear will be somewhere around 120#!!!!! If I can't borrow a bandit 2 from a friend monday then I'm dreading the 7 mile slog down North Fork with the pack!

Tanya and Shane invited me on a hike today and I discussed the adventure with Tanya. She seems good to go but I really want to take the boat out on monday with her to see how we may fair? Fingers crossed again!

Shane, I read your whole report back when you posted it. Sounded too damn scary, I even skipped my lunch reading it. Glad you made it out ok man!

Bogley BigShot
    I think Bo is looking at some time next week. Bet you can go if you get hold of him. The problem as I understand it is that you have to wait for the water to get to a certain level before you go.

The 8 some mile hike in carrying wetsuits and the boat got to me almost as much as I am chicken to fall out of a boat.

Ya, the water is peaking when I will be floating Dolores

So I guess Bo is on his own.

Ya Justin, the hike in is going to be tough with the boat and gear on your back. Also, kayaking the narrows is not an easy thing either, read Shane's report, it's a great read.

Maybe?

All planned out for next saturday. Water should be pretty good I hope?
    Guy was just in the store. Did it yesterday and ripped out the center tube in his Bandit. That happened on the log at the beginning just below Deep Creek. Between Kolob and Imlay is a definate portage unless you want to get sucked under boulders and spit out (maybe) somewhere on the other side. Just after the end of Riverside Walk is a strainer that must be portaged unless you want more damage. He ripped a 1' hole in the floor alongside the tube.

Our plans are to drive up friday night, leave a vehicle at VC, continue to Chamberlain and camp. Get an early start saturday. You must hike the entire way to Deep Creek. No water in NF.

Guy started paddling around 3pmish and was out at 7pm.

So far it's Mike Nad and myself. Let me know if you are interested?

I am interested, but I will be getting my ass handed to me by Snaggletooth

Maybe next time Bo, get all the beta you can!

Ya Justin, the hike in is going to be tough with the boat and gear on your back.
    Oh, I know. That's why I want you guys to do it and take pictures.

Re: Maybe?

Our plans are to drive up friday night, leave a vehicle at VC, continue to Chamberlain and camp. Get an early start saturday. You must hike the entire way to Deep Creek. No water in NF.

So far it's Mike Nad and myself. Let me know if you are interested?[/quote]

bo- i'm interested in joining you this weekend for the narrows. are you still a group of just 2? i have quite a bit of whitewater paddling experience and my own boat. have a friend who tried to talk me into this venture a couple years ago, and i was game but thought it was running a mite high- he ran it @1200 cfs! gotta watch that rain overnight. weather looking good this weekend, but with sunny heat, levels will rise. drop me a line at gone2moab at hotmail dot com.

rick t

Re: Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by rick t

So far it's Mike Nad and myself. Let me know if you are interested?
    bo- i'm interested in joining you this weekend for the narrows. are you still a group of just 2? i have quite a bit of whitewater paddling experience and my own boat. have a friend who tried to talk me into this venture a couple years ago, and i was game but thought it was running a mite high- he ran it @1200 cfs! gotta watch that rain overnight. weather looking good this weekend, but with sunny heat, levels will rise. drop me a line at gone2moab at hotmail dot com.

rick t[/quote]

So far it's a go! I got invited to run it today with Sam, but couldn't break loose. Looking at the forecast is very encourging!
    http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/river/stat...plot.cgi?NFVU1

You are more than welcome to join us Rick! I haven't talked to Mikal since friday, but am pretty certain he and I will be doing it. He is a nurse at DRMC and gets off work at 7PM friday night. I need to run up to Springdale friday afternoon to get a couple Tomcats and then will probably meet him at the VC. We'll leave a vehicle there and drive up to Chamberlain Ranch, pack up the gear, get some sleep and then start hiking pretty early to catch good flow before it subsides in late afternoon. Give me a call at OO (435-628-3611). I'll be there tomorrow, but not wednesday as I am heading up to Zion to hike Spry. I'll be back to work for thursday and part of the day friday.

Bo

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Awaiting the "epic" report--