Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zion Narrows.

Zion Narrows.

Been watching the waterflow and it looks like projections of 220cfs or so the first week of April? I have a feeling it will rise a lot faster and I'll have to wait until end of april or first part of may to try my first adventure in there. I've talked to friends that say 300cfs is perfect, but I would like to do it my first time at 250. Any thoughts or anyone done it before? If so what level was it and what was your experience?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Zion Narrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Been watching the waterflow and it looks like projections of 220cfs or so the first week of April? I have a feeling it will rise a lot faster and I'll have to wait until end of april or first part of may to try my first adventure in there. I've talked to friends that say 300cfs is perfect, but I would like to do it my first time at 250. Any thoughts or anyone done it before? If so what level was it and what was your experience?
    Well..I guess I got my answer. Just met with a fellow that works at the park and he has done 9 trips. Seems that to try in the first week of April would be miserably cold and not so enjoyable. He suggested to wait for the downside of runoff and catch it when it's warmer. A lot will depend on what the flow of North Fork is, but there is a lot of coniferous slash/pokers to deal with in this section and a lot of bouncing off the walls. Of course it will be necessary to portage the falls and one other section just below. Once to Deep creek the water gains momentum and the real "tech section" is between Big Springs and Orderville but fewer of the coniferous strainer-pokers to deal with, but now the rock gardens to slalom. I'm really getting psyched to do this trip, but I think I'll wait til warmer weather!

I don't get it, you want to raft/kayak the Narrows in Zion?

I have tried that once back in 1995. Hiked from the bottom about 7-8 miles in. My buddy and I hid the Walmart 2 men raft in our backpacks, then "rafted" down the Narrows, past all the tourists.

The ranger finally caught up to us almost at the mouth of the canyon and gave us a warning. Since by that time our "raft" was all busted up and we were flowing on a single air chamber with two oars.

Anyways, fill in the details, I might be interested in joining ya

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    I don't get it, you want to raft/kayak the Narrows in Zion?

I have tried that once back in 1995. Hiked from the bottom about 7-8 miles in. My buddy and I hid the Walmart 2 men raft in our backpacks, then "rafted" down the Narrows, past all the tourists.

The ranger finally caught up to us almost at the mouth of the canyon and gave us a warning. Since by that time our "raft" was all busted up and we were flowing on a single air chamber with two oars.

Anyways, fill in the details, I might be interested in joining ya
    I intend to kayak it in a "Duckie". Another reason for not doing it right away might be the access to Chamberlain Ranch right now? The river has to be flowing over 140 CFS for over 24 hours in order to get a permit. Several of my friends have done it before and it seems that the concensus is 250 to 300 CFS is ideal?

I think the amount of hiking necessary is contingent on the flow of the North Fork? Once you turn the corner to Deep Creek hang on tight though!

The fellow I talked to last night that has done it 9 times prefers hiking directly into Deep Creek though. Another reason to wait until the downside of the spring run-off. Access to the trailhead into Deep Creek would be very questionable at best right now due to road conditions.

I'll keep you posted as to what my plans are as time goes along. It would be a blast to have you along

I am not much of a kayaker, but I do the duckies for sure. Floating the Narrows would be awesome, give me a day notice and I will be there.

Do you have a duckie? I can rent them here at UofU for about 30 a day or something. Not very expensive.

Would it be an overnighter? I don't know many of the names you mentioned it, how much hiking is involved? I hope I will be able to keep up with you going up

What time frame are you looking at?

I am excited

I am not much of a kayaker, but I do the duckies for sure. Floating the Narrows would be awesome, give me a day notice and I will be there.

Do you have a duckie? I can rent them here at UofU for about 30 a day or something. Not very expensive.

Would it be an overnighter? I don't know many of the names you mentioned it, how much hiking is involved? I hope I will be able to keep up with you going up

What time frame are you looking at?

I am excited
    You bet your sweet Pasties I'll let you know!
    It will be a true adventure and a blast. I have a duckie at the shop, but I'm pretty sure I can score another for you in Springdale?
    It would be a hoot to do it as an overnighter, but I'm leaning toward a one day? Lets keep it open.
    I'm thinkin' that we'll have to wait until the downside of spring runoff? Not too sure when that'll be but I am keeping a watchful eye and will let you know. I think I might even have Tanya interested (aquaphobic) talked into it if we do it in gentler waters. I'm going to get the beta for the hike into Deep Creek rather from Chamberlain Ranch? I think It's less hiking especially if we do it in lower flow. Rest assured I'll let you and Tanya know when the time is ripe....I'm as excited as you!

I guess it would be tough to do an overnighter to bring all the gear and the boat on your back. So I see your point.

How long do you consider the hike in to be in miles?

I guess it would be tough to do an overnighter to bring all the gear and the boat on your back. So I see your point.

How long do you consider the hike in to be in miles?
    Not so much luggin' all the gear, but losing it when gettin' sucked under a strainer and trying to catch up with the boat and all the gear! But really, I think it would be cool to camp...just haven't done a lot of considering yet.? We'll get it figured out before the time comes though.

What will the water be like the first week of June?
    See you on the Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Scout Master
    What will the water be like the first week of June?
    Gosh? I havent looked the forecast that far out yet? Not too sure. There is a LOT of snow up in them thar hills though!

I assume all rivers will flowing VERY high this spring, early summer. I got 3 trips scheduled already, can't wait! woot

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Screw rafting. Let's go tubing.
    No one said that you couldn't bring a tube Good luck! You better bring those flotation devices that Tanya posted and wear them on your rear end!

Bogley BigShot
    Please don't wear the female variety I posted though. ...

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Please don't wear the female variety I posted though. ...
    It actually wraps me quite nicely

Bogley BigShot
    Can I see a picture of that.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm no bonafide ducky type guy but this sounds way too fun.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    I'm no bonafide ducky type guy but this sounds way too fun.
    It was "permittable" today running at 147cfs, but after talking to a veteran who has done it 9 times, he suggested to wait until the downside of spring runoff as the temps. are much more pleasurable, plus he will show me an access directly into Deep Creek that eliminates 6 miles of hiking with a "boat on the back".

*Standing by*

Were you able to find a second boat locally there?

*Standing by*

Were you able to find a second boat locally there?
    I think Zion Rock and Mountain Guides still rents the "Tomcat", and if not there is a possibility I can conjure up one from a friend. Will wait closer to the time and see whats going on. I'm figuring it will be a may1 to may30 window? Just don't know until the runoff begins and then subsides?