Thread: Montezuma Caves

Montezuma Caves

A few years back we poked around in some sand caves outside Kanab.
    http://www.my-mania.com/caving/moqui.html
    They're really cool, but none were true caves (you couldn't get back far enough that you were unable to see daylight). We were down there this last weekend and found some that are more extensive that the locals call Montezuma Cave(s). (There's a geocache down near the caves). We didn't have our usual caving stuff, like helmets and ropes, bc we didn't think these would go back very far. They turned out to be more extensive than I thought, and even had some interesting little pits. Some one rappelled down one pit using a bunch of poorly placed eye screws for anchors.

We'll have to go again and be better prepared (helmets, rope etc) and leave my 16 month old with a babysitter . There was about a half a dozen or more caves here. Add it to my already ridiculously long To Do list.

Most the pics we took you can't see much because there was too much dust in the flash (non flash pics were blurry). But here's a few.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We visited the Moqui Caves again too while we were there. These are right by where climbinghalfdome was ice climbing this season (why didn't I get down here when there was still ice??)
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Bogley BigShot
    Great Stuff!

Two questions... do you have GPS info and did you have to cross private land? I hate those private land issues around here.

No private property issues that I"m aware of. A lot of locals visit this area.

I'll PM you info on getting to the cave.

We have seen those ones from the road and have always thought of stopping to check them out. We also always assumed that they were part of the main cave and tour. (that always seems closed when we go by.)
    shoot straight, cast far, and hike all day.

The main cave tour I wasn't real impressed with. I wouldn't recommend it. But these 'wild' ones are fun.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    No private property issues that I"m aware of. A lot of locals visit this area.

I'll PM you info on getting to the cave.

I would love that!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by COUNTRYBOY
    We have seen those ones from the road and have always thought of stopping to check them out. We also always assumed that they were part of the main cave and tour. (that always seems closed when we go by.)

Are these the ones by 3 Lakes or by the Gift Shop Cave... I guess I should probably just look in my PM box.

We went to Monetzuma's Cave yesterday. One of the fellows is an amateur
    historian and he had some good stories about this area. There are no property issues just a couple of gates to leave as you found them. Within the private property they don't want you wandering around. This fellow had asked permission and told of some very interesting archeology.

The larger cave, with the planks, is supposed to go all the way through to the other side. No one with me has tried it and most likely won't. By using a GPS we plotted the entrance and then went out to the JCR and went North for a bit. In the area we figured to be opposite that entrance there appears to be another hole, not easily accessed. I think some of the guys may try to check that one out.

Thanks for the pictures, I didn't bring a camera up to the cave.

On a sad note, the BLM is going to begin sealing these off. Get out there while you can.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Quote Originally Posted by COUNTRYBOY

Are these the ones by 3 Lakes or by the Gift Shop Cave... I guess I should probably just look in my PM box.
    The ones you can see from the highway are just South of the tourist Moqui Cave/gift shop.
    http://tinyurl.com/3jh6g3

From a previous trip down there
    http://www.my-mania.com/caving/moqui.html