Thread: pine creek conditions march 13th

pine creek conditions march 13th

Went through pine creek with a fairly large group last thursday. It was VERY cold and VERY wet. However, most of the snow is melted and besides the very first rappel, there was no ice in the way of setting up the rappels.
    The water was even colder than expected (dont know what I was expecting actually) and a good majority of the rappels required getting off while swimming. This technique was new to a few of my guys so we rehearsed beforehand which made a HUGE difference in our success. It may seem like common sense, but with the water as cold as it was it could be easy for someone with not that much experience to panic and ...you know the rest. know your group.
    anyways, it was more of a challenge going this early, but well worth it. have fun.
    im down in st. george so if you want to do some canyons down here let me know.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: pine creek conditions march 13th

Quote Originally Posted by brian
    Went through pine creek with a fairly large group last thursday. It was VERY cold and VERY wet. However, most of the snow is melted and besides the very first rappel, there was no ice in the way of setting up the rappels.
    The water was even colder than expected (dont know what I was expecting actually) and a good majority of the rappels required getting off while swimming. This technique was new to a few of my guys so we rehearsed beforehand which made a HUGE difference in our success. It may seem like common sense, but with the water as cold as it was it could be easy for someone with not that much experience to panic and ...you know the rest. know your group.
    anyways, it was more of a challenge going this early, but well worth it. have fun.
    Interesting.... We got out back to the road about 4:00. Did we hear your hoots and hollers behind us?

Tom

The water was even colder than expected (dont know what I was expecting actually) and a good majority of the rappels required getting off while swimming.
    If you set the length of the rope so that it just reaches the water, then folks can rappel down and rap off the end of the rope and swim away.

Or, in warmer conditions, set it a little higher (over a nice pool), and they get a nice little splash down before swimming.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Or, in warmer conditions, set it a little higher (over a nice pool), and they get a nice little splash down before swimming.
    Just curious.....why wouldn't you do this in cooler conditions? If people have adequate thermal protection, a little...or big splash can be a lot of fun!
    "The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skianddive
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Just curious.....why wouldn't you do this in cooler conditions? If people have adequate thermal protection, a little...or big splash can be a lot of fun!
    Putting the head underwater makes people cold REALLY QUICK!!!

Even in dry suits, we were cold, especially hands and feet. Head underwater was not in the plan. (And there are not places in Pine Creek where this really works - the Great Cathedral is too close to the wall, and all pools at the moment are not deep enough (due to sand) to allow a jump in safely, from even 5 feet up.

Tom

Nice! Always good to meet another fellow St. Georger. I'm in Cedar City working 2 jobs for 6-8 more weeks but will be back in "the George" after that (and back to 1 job, woot). Shoot me a message if you go after 2 months or so and I'll try and send you a message with trips I do. Should be a fun summer!

You like to go caving also? We tried finding "lost cave" this weekend up in enterprise but got skunked. Just this found little 15 foot hole in the side of a hill, LOL. Still was fun though.

yeah I thought we heard something down there. a group had just gone in about an hour or so before us, timed it just right I guess.

Anyone know if behunin is accessable yet? If little siberia has melted off yet?