Thread: Grandeur Peak TR and sledding off the peak

Grandeur Peak TR and sledding off the peak

A few friends and I took a hike up to the top of Grandeur Peak today. We had a sea level friend who had never bagged a peak so it was especially nice for him. He also hauled ass up it. Unfortunately the top was socked in so we could not see SLC. We had no snowshoes (I usually prefer trail runners, YakTrax and wet feet) but two in our group hauled sleds up to the top and were able to sled from the peak. I thought it was pretty idiotic (and it was) but I was a little envious when they were getting sled face shots on a huge bowl and me and sea level friend were shoe skiing and jogging down the trail. The sledders were able to sled right down a nice bowl off of a lower summit visible in the last pic.

The trail was snow covered the whole way but snowshoes were not ideally needed until the last 3/4 mile or so. It took us 2 hours and 55 minutes round trip.

I did not know we were going to Grandeur until I got in the car but was jonesing for my splitboard when I saw the area. The bowl they sledded down was prime for some backcountry too. Maybe not the best skiing in the Wasatch but definitely a quick way down!

PS. Notice no goggles and wool gloves on second from last pictures. Note: Bring goggles and waterproof gloves if you attempt this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That looks like a lot of fun (and work). Glad you had a good trip, thanks for posting.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Looks like some extreme sledding yo.

Awesome! Just one question, how ya steer those things?

You don't really! The powder was deep enough to pull the front of the sled up and dig in. On hardpack they wouldn't have made it out alive.

Re: Gradure Peak

Nice TR. Which way did you go up? From Millcreek or from Big Cottonwood? My wife and I did that a couple of years ago. I was pretty sick, so I remember it being hell for me, but I made it anyway.
    "I'm the dude, man, so that's what you call me"

Bogley BigShot
    Fun Stuff!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Re: Gradure Peak

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    From Millcreek or from Big Cottonwood?
    Big Cottonwood that canyon is miles away from Grandure Peak. Neffs Canyon and Mt Olympus seperat the two. There are two usaul ways up Grandure: Millcreek or from the east bench of valley near Parley's Canyon.

edit: Millcreek Road is 3800 South while Big Cottonwood Road is 7000/7200 South

Correct, the main trailhead from Millcreek was the access point. Also nice because the entire trail was snow covered.