Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Hike I did Today.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Nice Bo, I have admired that peak often.

FWIW: It's not trespassing unless it's properly signed or you are asked to leave. And seldom is private property posted correctly (a sign at the entrance is not enough).

Below is the info passed out by the state of Utah with regards to fishing and hunting. Same rules apply to hiking, climbing and canyoneering...

Trespass laws of specific interest to hunters and anglers

1. Written permission is required to enter or cross properly posted private property.

2. Written permission is also required to access unposted private property if:

- The soil has been loosened or broken up for the raising of crops
    - There are crops on the land
    - The land is a pasture irrigated by a sprinkling system or ditches

3. In addition, those taking wildlife while trespassing may be charged with an additional Class B Misdemeanor for illegally taking wildlife. The harvested wildlife is also subject to seizure.

Much more here for those interested.

Trespass Guide
    http://www.cwmuutahwildlife.org/trespass.htm

Thanks Shane! It was a really fun route, and I actually would like to go back and do it again. I think Courtney echoes my sentiments which says something. He rarely repeats a route unless he feels it to be very special.

As for private property....no issues there. I don't believe the landowners even use their land any more and the BLM has the BLM gate wide open. I'm sure if the landowners that have a few patches of land somewhere out there in that wide open valley had issues, they would figure out a way of marking and posting their land? I believe that there are only a couple of small patches of private land anyway? I will have to run into the recorders office and see if I can locate the private parcels, if in fact they are still private? Could be they traded their lands to the BLM for other better land?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by canyonquest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    We were on almost primarily BLM Ground with a few smatherings of private land.
    So it was cool because you were mostly not trespassing? I know Courtney likes to single out those forbidden peaks, but it's disturbing to see such a lax attitude from someone who in essence represents the Park Service.
    way to jump to conclusions there Sherlock. Atleast you checked into things before throwing shit at someone.
    The man thong is wrong.

Bo, How hard did you look for other routes to the summit? I asked about the peak once and was told it's a scramble.....

Which I guess can mean anything from we used our hands to we didn't fall and die.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Bo, How hard did you look for other routes to the summit? I asked about the peak once and was told it's a scramble.....

Which I guess can mean anything from we used our hands to we didn't fall and die.

We approached from the south. Once at the slickrock we picked what we thought to be the easiest. A lot of zigzagging to bypass cliff bands. Mostly easy 3rd and 4th class with an occasional 5th class move or two. Once we arrived at the south east corner and 100' below the summit, it became somewhat vertical. I led up and around a corner to get into a chimney and went up maybe 50'. I belayed Courtney and DB up to my stance on a pedestal. Courtney then went up a 10' face to a 25' scramble to the summit. Maybe 5.5 or 5.6 climbing? Not very good rock protection placements. I used 1 piece of gear in the 60' or so and courtney used 2 pieces. Not that the pro would have done any good on that soft sandstone

In answer to your question...mostly scrambling until the last 100'. I am sure there could be other routes on the south side, but I would think they would be Climbing routes. The east side is definately climbing route material. I didn't see the north or west sides but I'm told the north side is pretty steep? Don't know what the west side might offer?

Fun route we did and if you ever might be interested in going up let me know...I'd love to go up again and I think you'd enjoy it as well!

We were on almost primarily BLM Ground with a few smatherings of private land.
    ...I know Courtney likes to single out those forbidden peaks...
    Careful, brother, making assumptions. Curiosity does not necessarily equate to action.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    way to jump to conclusions there Sherlock. Atleast you checked into things before throwing shit at someone.
    So I checked my maps last night. All that private property I had assumed was surrounding this peak was actually one township section further to the west. Indeed I am an ass. I humbly beg forgiveness from Bo and company for my wild accusations.

So I checked my maps last night. All that private property I had assumed was surrounding this peak was actually one township section further to the west. Indeed I am an ass. I humbly beg forgiveness from Bo and company for my wild accusations.
    Wow! I did not expect that. Am I on the wrong forum . I will also apologize for my tone. I didn't need to be so dramatic. Thanks for taking the high road, you are top notch in my book!
    The man thong is wrong.

No forgiveness needed here! I'm prone to make mistakes occasionally, but I try awfully hard not to make them on purpose. You ought to check out the route. It is really fun and I bet you'd enjoy it!

Bogley BigShot
    I have Bo's Red Butte Trail Description online now.
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-red-butte.htm

Bogley BigShot
    I just finished the photo album from Bo's, Courtney's and DB's Hike.

Bo -- those photos from the top of the mountain are outstanding!!!!

Good Stuff Guys!

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index65.htm

Yeah, I think we were all pleased with the Red Butte climb overall, as well as the stunning views from the top. A nice, small summit too...though Moqui Peak's summit is much smaller!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

Good Stuff Guys!

Thanks Tanya! The top of Red Butte certainly does sport some great views! Woody took some photos from on top at sunset that were absolutely amazing of the West Temple. One of these days we'll have to go back up top and let you work some magic with that "photographers eye" of yours!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya

Good Stuff Guys!

Thanks Tanya! The top of Red Butte certainly does sport some great views! Woody took some photos from on top at sunset that were absolutely amazing of the West Temple. One of these days we'll have to go back up top and let you work some magic with that "photographers eye" of yours!
    Since I have not be up to West Temple I would love to do that one.