Thread: Butterflies

Butterflies

I'm sitting here all packed and ready to head out for a weekend in the canyons.... I'm just waiting for my partner to arrive..... And I have butterflies!

I always get them at this point in any canyoneering trip, it always happens immediately after I have everything packed and ready to roll and before I'm heading out the door. The butterflies always disappear the minute we hit the road.

Funny, but I never get them before rock climbing or ice climbing, only canyoneering. Really the only other times I ever get/got them was before strapping into a race car, before a high school track meet (long ago) or before a football game I'm coaching. Hell, I didn't even get butterflies on my wedding day.

Anyone else get the flies? Lets hear some stories.... I know I'm not the only one who has puked in a garbage can under the grandstand before an event.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    I know exactly what you mean about butterflies and trips!

It's probably good that your soon to be wife did not scare you.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Yah. Gotta admit that getting sleep before a big new canyon is not easy. Then you have to get up at 4 am, just when you first nod off!!!

Tom

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    For me it is always the first rappel canyoneering, or the first climb rock climbing. Each time I ask myself why am I doing this? Why do I like this, it is crazy? Then after I get going and afterwards I remember why I enjoy it so much. I also get nervous for any big drop in a canyon. Most nervous I've ever been was the entry rappel in Englstead Canyon.

It's probably good that your soon to be wife did not scare you.
    My wedding day was simple. My wife handled the entire event, my entire list of instructions consisted of....

Pick up the cake on the way to the wedding. Be there at 6pm and wear a white tux.

That was it.... I think she knew if she gave me anymore responsibility I might bolt..... So I spent the first part of the day golfing with my buddies. Nothing to scary about that.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Yah. Gotta admit that getting sleep before a big new canyon is not easy. Then you have to get up at 4 am, just when you first nod off!!!

Tom

I know how that feels! This is why I hate getting up at a certain time. Whenever there is a time... no matter what it is.... that I must be awake... I can't sleep and it seems I fall asleep just before I have to get up.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Did you do poison springs this fine weekend?

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    For me it is always the first rappel canyoneering, or the first climb rock climbing. Each time I ask myself why am I doing this? Why do I like this, it is crazy? Then after I get going and afterwards I remember why I enjoy it so much. I also get nervous for any big drop in a canyon. Most nervous I've ever been was the entry rappel in Englstead Canyon.

I got nervous on that one half way down! --- and wondered.. why is my arm so tired!!! I usually just slide down and never give it a 2nd thought.... but that time ---- it just seemed (AND IS) so far down~~~ either way one would die.... but it's so FAR DOWN ----- it was scary!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Did you do poison springs this fine weekend?
    Me? I actually drove --- outside the Zion area. Don't fall down in shock everyone! It was so much fun! We did Leprechaun and Blarney! What tight great canyons and company!

thought Ice was heading to poison springs

Poison Springs was one of the options on a long menu of choices... Most the group had never been to the North Wash/Posion Springs area so they got to pick the canyons they were most interested in. I just played tour guide. It's all good to me.

Me? I actually drove --- outside the Zion area. Don't fall down in shock everyone! It was so much fun! We did Leprechaun and Blarney! What tight great canyons and company!

noooo ... say it ain't so

that's great tanya. fun canyons, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Poison Springs was one of the options on a long menu of choices... Most the group had never been to the North Wash/Posion Springs area so they got to pick the canyons they were most interested in. I just played tour guide. It's all good to me.

did you get any snow?

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

Tour Guide It looks like they are all stuck and I am leading them .... --- unless they are lost and going up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan

noooo ... say it ain't so

that's great tanya. fun canyons, eh?

Can you believe it?!?!?!?

Oops... I got off track again I am innocent! It was Kurt! He asked a NON-butterfly question.

PS... No snow where we were, but just 15 miles down the road I hit snow all the way home except the last 15 minutes before I got home! Some places like Highway 62 (I think it was) were not plowed and there were snow drifts along the way... but even so the roads were not slippery so it was cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum