http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

China Asks Nepal to Ban Everest Climbs

Mar 14 12:37 PM US/Eastern
    By BINAJ GURUBACHARYA
    Associated Press Writer 20 Comments

Japanese skier aims to be oldest on Everest

Tibetan immigrants protest San Francisco's hosting of Beijing torch relay

China Faces Criticism As Olympics Near

KATMANDU, Nepal (AP) - China has asked Nepal to keep climbers off Mount Everest this spring, a move that would prevent pro-Tibetan protests when the Olympic torch is carried to the summit of the world's highest mountain, Nepalese officials said Friday.
    The organizers of the Beijing Olympics have not released an exact date for the planned ascent, but preparations point to late April or early May. Activists critical of Chinese policy in Tibet have unfurled banners at the Everest base camp in the past.

Nepalese officials said a decision should be reached soon on whether to approve Beijing's request to shut down climbing on Everest until May 10. The officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue, said China made the request last month.

Expeditions from the Chinese side of the peak have already been banned until May 10, with authorities saying they are concerned about "heavy climbing activities and pressure on the environment."

Everest straddles the border of Chinese-controlled Tibet and Nepal, home to many Tibetan exiles and activists. May is considered the best time to climb Everest, but climbers have to be on the mountain weeks before to acclimatize to the harsh weather and high altitude.

Protests led by Buddhist monks against Chinese rule turned violent in Tibet's capital Friday, with shops and vehicles torched and gunshots echoing through the streets of the ancient city. A radio report said two people had been killed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

when the Olympic torch is carried to the summit of the world's highest mountain
    WOW..... I'm amazed the old slag heap has now become so easy to climb that you can now schedule any old day to take the Olympic torch to the summit.

Wouldn't this pretty much ruin the season to climb Evererst. I just got done reading "Into Thin Air", awesome book. It stated that most guides try for may 10th because it was usually a break in the weather for a good chance at the summit. So people are up there weeks before preparing. Would people still try later in the summer? If not there are going to be alot of hungry sherpas this year.
    The man thong is wrong.

I just know what I've read..... but it's my understanding the season is very short (several weeks) and depends a lot on the jetstream and the monsoon season.