Thread: Looking for info on a Baja trip.

Looking for info on a Baja trip.

I am looking to possibly take a trip to Baja this year, and was wondering if anyone has been down there that could give some advice. I really do not want to go to the big tourist trap locations. I would be perfectly happy staying in hostels.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I went to Cabo on a cruise last year, and got stung by a jellyfish. We didn't have to stay at a hotel, but I have been to Cabo before and I can tell you this much: Those time share presentations give you a lot of free stuff for just getting a free breakfast and saying "no" for an hour.

Here are some pictures from Cabo:

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

This is Lover's Beach (on one side it is the Sea of Cortez, and on the other side it is the pacific ocean)

Lands End (an arch at the end of the Baja Peninsula is where these two bodies of water meet.
    Lands End is on the left of this picture and Lover's Beach is on the right

Ruth and I on the Sea of Cortez side

My arm after being attacked by the jelly fish (it honestly looked worse than the picture shows)
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Check into Loreto or La Paz. Both on the Sea of Cortez and not TOO touristy YET. It's leaning that way soon, but both are nice towns. Good fishing if that's your thing.

I've only been to Cabo once for a short stay. We spent almost no time in Cabo but rented a Mexican Porsche (VW Beetle, old style) and went touring. Todos Santos is North West and is a terrific little town, very artsy and surfer oriented. If you go South from Todos Santos you'll come to some beautiful, nearly uninhabited beaches, a lot of surfers.

Another day we went hiking up into a canyon, we booked a guide and there was just four of us. I think the hike was about 4 hours round trip and we ended up scrambling down to a beautiful pool with a waterfall.

We did do a fishing trip, catching some tuna and having it cooked at the dock while we sampled a few cerveza.

People are very friendly and it is a very safe place. They claim 100% employment but some of those are street merchants.

If I was going back I would probably stay in Todos Santos, cheaper and beautiful.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Yeah it's touristy..... but I'd probably still have to sign up.

http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/Wil...on-Ekopark.htm

Ahhh Cabo san lucas....

I got the worst ear/throat infection I've even had in my life from the pool. Had to go to the hospital and everything when I got back to the states.

If you get a chance, hire one of the locals to take you on tour of the islands shown in Discos 2nd pic. The dude will ride a wave right through those arches (pictured) in this little rickety boat and scare the bajeezzus out of you, great fun!

Also 2nd the idea of going via a timeshare tour. Those guys are high pressure but the amount of goodies they throw in for free makes it awesome. And like was mentioned, only have to put up with it for an hour.

Also don't be a douchebag. I went on a couple fishing trips and everytime some guys in the other boat would catch a 100-200 lb marlin, cut it's horn off, and drop the body back in the sea. Pissed me off wasting such an amazing animal.

But yeah any place you go in Cabo is pretty much a tourist trap, but being Mexico it's still hella cheap. Not like being in Hawaii or such. If that's not your thing there are always places close by you can bail too though.

I would rent a car or SUV in Tijuana and then take Hwy 1 down the coast to see the scenery. How far you go depends on how much time you have and what you want to spend. You could camp in many secluded places and not spend money on hotels. Food would be easy to find as well as gas. Another option is to grab a bus from the station in TJ and take it all the way to Cabo. It would be at least a 2 day trip but you would see EVERY single town between the border and the tip, way cool. Buses in Mexico get a bad rap, but they really are convenient and safe. After arriving at Cabo you could then take the ferry to Mazatlan or Tobolobampo and take another bus back up.

The Northern Baja compared to Southern Baja is very different. The north is much like southern Cali, dry chapparal with the high Sierra de Juarez but once you enter Baja California Sur it becomes even more deserty. It all depends on how many days you have and how adventurous you want to be but I think that would be fun.

You could also explore over on the east side by driving from Mexicali to San Felipe. It would be super cheap and that area has amazing scenery.

If I had a week, I would explore the Northern Baja with a rented vehicle(or your own, at your own risk). There is plenty to see for a lifetime up there.
    Conquistare al mundo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Check into Loreto or La Paz. Both on the Sea of Cortez and not TOO touristy YET. It's leaning that way soon, but both are nice towns. Good fishing if that's your thing.

I had actually started looking at Loreto. I am planning on at least 2 weeks, maybe 3 for now.

A few guys from work usually drive down every winter. I am not sure if I would prefer to fly, or have the convenience of a vehicle.

Thanks for the pointers so far. I am most definitely planning on staying away from large resorts.

Drove to Cabo in '75 and to Bahia de Los Angeles in '85. The Baja Book by Tom Miller served as a very useful guide. Unfortunately, the book and subsequent editions are out of print. I believe there's a guide entitled Baja California Road Log that might be just as useful.

I camped out every night. Rarely at a fee-required campground. And most nights right on a beach. Back in '75 the road from San Lucas to Todos Santos wasn't paved, but may be now. All of Route 1 was paved except for an occasional washout. Don't drive at night.

Once you get south of Ensenada the cactus gardens are just as amazing as the beaches. And the sunsets.

bahia de los angeles

We drove to Bahia de Los Angeles a few years ago and had a blast, but didn't stay long enough to make the 10 hrs drive each way from the border worth it. Took a day and went kayaking, another day fishing on a panga with a local guide. Amenities were very limited, but still available. I heard that they have repaved the road to Bahia since we were there. That would make the drive much less rough.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I'd second Win's suggestion for Todos Santos. Cute little artsy town that are 50% ex-pats and 50% locals. The only tourist trap in town is the Hotel California, so you get alot of tour buses that stop there, but very few stay.

Depending on the time of year, you can find beaches all for yourself. I once went during Thanksgiving and we had a beach all to ourselves for two full days. We also went up to La Paz and went sea kayaking and snorkling. You can do everything in Todos Santos that you can in Cabo (except golf) and there are no crowds.

I'd stay as far away from Cabo as possible. Too many drunk Americans and everything is so artificial. You don't have to speak a lick of Spanish to get by in Cabo.

Also, Baja is the exception to the rest of Mexico. Things are not cheaper than they are in the US. Expect a nice hotel or BB to be at least $100 US a night. The only thing noticable cheaper than in the US is alcohol.

We are going down in a few weeks...actually cruising the mex riviera...puerto vallara, mazatlan, and cabo. We were going to lovers beach but that zipline is awesome! I think we'll do it instead. We are biking in puerto vallara area too but the rest of the time is gonna be beach, which is no surprise to anyone who knows me

Quote Originally Posted by kris

I had actually started looking at Loreto. I am planning on at least 2 weeks, maybe 3 for now.

A few guys from work usually drive down every winter. I am not sure if I would prefer to fly, or have the convenience of a vehicle.

Thanks for the pointers so far. I am most definitely planning on staying away from large resorts.

I have family friends that rent out their house in Loreto if you need any info. regarding lodging. Let me know. Last time I was there, many moons ago.......nothing but dirt roads, dirt landing strip for the airplane to land and a few shops. I've heard it's changed ALOT. But still the ocean is gorgeous, fishing is wonderful and sea kayaking a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by kris

I have family friends that rent out their house in Loreto if you need any info. regarding lodging. Let me know. Last time I was there, many moons ago.......nothing but dirt roads, dirt landing strip for the airplane to land and a few shops. I've heard it's changed ALOT. But still the ocean is gorgeous, fishing is wonderful and sea kayaking a blast.

Thanks everyone for the tips so far. I am now thinking about pushing the trip off until November/December and spending another week or so down there.

I would be interested in getting more info on the house rental. I have found a pretty decent site that offers rental listings, but I am open to anything.

Thanks

I'm going to La Paz next week. I'll try and take some pics and give ya some info as well. It's for a wedding though and I'll only be there for 4 days, shucks.

well if you don't like lots of people don't plan it around November 20-23, 2008. thats the baja 1000.