Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signs that spring is near

Signs that spring is near

My Crocuses are blooming. With all of the snow we had this winter, I thought I wouldn't see anything until May.

Crocus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocus

These are fairly small bulbs, and they're the first to bloom in my yard. Then come the Daffodils. They're great fillers.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My wife and I are living close to Macey's in Orem. I don't think they plowed our streets more than once all winter, so we just had ice everywhere. I love that spring is getting closer.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Oh yeah, Spring is coming.

In the last 3 days, the blackbirds are back in my yard, building nests like crazy.

The blue jays are back, they cuss me out but good when I get between them and my (their) pond.

I saw a quail on the sidewalk yesterday.

All that's missing are the robins, I expect them any day, en masse.

Tulip shoots are 4" tall.

Bogley BigShot
    You shock me sometimes Justin! I was positive I would open this thread and see young girls in SHORT shorts!

You disappoint me sometimes Justin! I was positive I would open this thread and see young girls in SHORT shorts!

Re: Signs that spring is near

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    My Crocuses are blooming. With all of the snow we had this winter, I thought I wouldn't see anything until May.

Crocus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocus

These are fairly small bulbs, and they're the first to bloom in my yard. Then come the Daffodils. They're great fillers.
    You scare me Justin, I never knew you were into flowers.

Well, I'm shocking, disappointing, and scaring people over this one.

But yes, I do enjoy yardwork and landscaping.

Now, to please everybody, let me find a work-safe bikini girl.

Oh wait, I'm in an elementary school right now, how about a rain check tonight.

Sorry guys. for us, spring never left. Lowest temp at my place this year...43F.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

"SPRING IN THE AIR !!" (she said...)

"WHAT??....I SHOULD SPRING IN THE AIR?
    IF I DO, I'LL FALL OUT OF THE BOAT AND RUIN MY NEW SUIT!"

"Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

The Robin's have made their journey back

cool shot JP!

Sorry Beech. I forgot to tell you that your pictures were also cool.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    I was in Destin, Florida 3 weeks ago. My early morning flight back home was delayed 4 hours because the plane had iced up overnight and the airport had no way to de-ice the plane! So I sat in the airport, twiddling my thumbs and occasionally got to watch some F-15's and A-10"s take off (the airport is shared with the Air Force).
    Are we there yet?

I heard that FROGS are the final farewell to winter. Supposedly, they come up when the water/mud temps reach a certain constant?
    Anyone? Any "frog-ology" majors out there?
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    I was in Destin, Florida 3 weeks ago. My early morning flight back home was delayed 4 hours because the plane had iced up overnight and the airport had no way to de-ice the plane! So I sat in the airport, twiddling my thumbs and occasionally got to watch some F-15's and A-10"s take off (the airport is shared with the Air Force).
    Some of us in Florida think of Destin as South Alabama.

They do get some colder temps way up there, but they also have some beautiful beaches at the right time.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Lowest temp at my place this year...43F.
    Oh yea, rub it in

Quote Originally Posted by Rented mule
    I heard that FROGS are the final farewell to winter. Supposedly, they come up when the water/mud temps reach a certain constant?
    Anyone? Any "frog-ology" majors out there?

Published: Mar 09, 2008 12:30 AM Modified: Mar 09, 2008 03:04 AM

Peeping songs

We can see spring approaching, as bulbs poke through the wintery duff. We can hear it approaching in the ever-increasing birdsong, against a background of sighing winds in the still-bare treetops.
    And if we listen closely enough, we can almost hear the sound of roots stirring, sap rising and buds expanding.

Among the first voices to announce the winding down of winter comes not from the newly arrived bluebirds, nor with the restless gabbling of waterfowl. Instead it appears with the awakening of tiny frogs known as spring peepers.

Few who wander afield, away from the din of man's activities, doubt that the song of the peepers is one of spring's earliest harbingers. Their singing begins the first night that the ice leaves the pond, even before the first turtle emerges to bask in the sunshine.

The truism "the smaller the pond, the bigger the voice" fits this frog perfectly. Hyla crucifer is only about an inch long when full grown.

Peepers are nocturnal, living in marshes, lowlands and swamps. It is there, with their entire bodies quivering, that they engage in their nightly musical trilling -- a high-pitched whistle that some say is reminiscent of jingling sleighbells.

Herpetologists (or maybe they're frog-ologists) tell us that within a week of the peepers' announcement that spring is on our doorstep, serenades from leopard frogs and wood frogs will follow. Really though, it's not until the bullfrogs' bass tunes up that another spring concert season becomes official.

All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    Some of us in Florida think of Destin as South Alabama.

They do get some colder temps way up there, but they also have some beautiful beaches at the right time.
    Beautiful beaches! I stayed at a Hilton Resort, right on the beach, and it was absolutely gorgeous, except for the jellyfish and man o' war invasion/migration going on.
    Are we there yet?

Not a chance for it to thaw up here yet...the rivers' still frozen but my pile outside my front door is going away a little each day
    Attached Images Attached Images