Thread: Rescue volunteers quitting in droves

Rescue volunteers quitting in droves

March 9th, 2008 @ 11:55am
    SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Veteran volunteers are quitting the Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office search and rescue program just as it is trying to expand into urban areas.

The volunteers are quitting over a proposal to train paid deputies to play a larger role in wilderness search and rescue efforts.

Last week, 10 members, or one-third of the volunteer mountain rescue team, quit.

In part, their resignation letters say that including law enforcement and emergency responders who aren't experienced in search and rescue techniques could compromise the safety of the team and those needing help.

Sheriff Jim Winder says deputies who patrol the canyon need the additional rescue training so they'll be prepared in an emergency.

Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2816805
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Are any of you guys on search and rescue?

I tried to join two years ago, but was told that I would need to purchase a thousand dollars worth of specific equipment, and then I would be on the waiting list. So I put it off until I am older, less fit, and have less time but more money.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

That sucks. I am a part of the Davis County SAR team. It is a geat team and awesome experience. Although it has been slow for us so fart his winter we have been training like crazy. I guess well see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by shagster
    so fart his winter
    Yeah, I have a couple times.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by shagster
    Although it has been slow for us so fart his winter. . .
    That stinks.

I heard that Colorado SAR has a GET a RESCUE FREE CARD?
    When you come to Colorado, you purchase a SAR card for a certain amount of money that goes to train and offset costs, I suppose. Then, if you are a card member, you get a free rescue. Does SAR charge?
    If so, this card would be great in Utah? I'd buy one.
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

No we don't charge, it is a free service we provide. I think if SAR charged people would be more hesitant to call for help. Everything we do is voluntary and free of charge. We buy our own gear, train on our own time, and the only reward is possibly saving someones life. That's enough for me.

Re: Rescue volunteers quitting in droves

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    March 9th, 2008 @ 11:55am
    SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Veteran volunteers are quitting the Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office search and rescue program just as it is trying to expand into urban areas.

The volunteers are quitting over a proposal to train paid deputies to play a larger role in wilderness search and rescue efforts.

Last week, 10 members, or one-third of the volunteer mountain rescue team, quit.

In part, their resignation letters say that including law enforcement and emergency responders who aren't experienced in search and rescue techniques could compromise the safety of the team and those needing help.

Sheriff Jim Winder says deputies who patrol the canyon need the additional rescue training so they'll be prepared in an emergency.

Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2816805
    I can see why this would be such a big deal. We train many hours per month with our other team members. Our lives are in their hands, I trust my team with my life and they also have to trust me with their lives. You have to be able to trust your team and this trust comes with training and practice.

In Colorado it is not really a free rescue but a card you buy ($5 per year 3 years for $12) the local SAR can apply for reimbursment for the cost of the rescue operation from the pool of funds collected if you have the card and get rescued.

It's a great program, but not many people have one (I don't ..gulp) but maybe now I will since I just outed myself.
    I'm not in Utah, but I like Utah, really..

Blog Entries
    So shagster do you know my friend e. Baham ? He is on the Davis SAR team. He is 24 years old I think of that helps you out.

Blog Entries
    So shagster do you know my friend e. Baham ? He is on the Davis SAR team. He is 24 years old I think of that helps you out.

Quote Originally Posted by jman
    It's Ethan right? If it is we were out last saturday training together.

Blog Entries
    yup you got it.I thought about joining. if you see him tell him that Brett says that he is ghen master. Haha. He will understand. Thanks.