Thread: We Beat Cancer (and yes, cancer really, really sucks)!

We Beat Cancer (and yes, cancer really, really sucks)!

Good news all my outdoor friends. We just got back from meeting with my son Ryan's oncologist. He has been having chemo for the past 6 months. He had a PET scan last week and we just got results today. He is cancer free! The PET scan shows no lingering, active cancer cells and the tumor is completely gone. He will still need to have a CAT scan about every 3 months or so for awhile just to make sure but all is looking good! Now he needs to concentrate on getting his strength back and now maybe I can start training and get back into shape also. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, congrats to you and your family.
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

Congratulations. This is happening more all the time, with new drugs helping win the battle. My wife has fought cancer for more than 11 years now, still gets CT scans every three months, and has lots of issues as a result of her treatments and surgeries. However, her life is pretty normal and she has definitely exceeded her doctors' expectations.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

My Father died 3 weeks ago from Lung Cancer..... He never smoked a day in his life. He did chemo for 4 months... It did nothing.
    Ouch my freaking ears....

Don't understand my avatar? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQzIg0CPW5Q

Steve, congrats on the great news!

Eric, I'm sorry to hear that. My condolensces...

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Re: We Beat Cancer (and yes, cancer really, really sucks)!

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    Good news all my outdoor friends. We just got back from meeting with my son Ryan's oncologist. He has been having chemo for the past 6 months. He had a PET scan last week and we just got results today. He is cancer free! The PET scan shows no lingering, active cancer cells and the tumor is completely gone. He will still need to have a CAT scan about every 3 months or so for awhile just to make sure but all is looking good! Now he needs to concentrate on getting his strength back and now maybe I can start training and get back into shape also. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.
    That must be a load off of your shoulders. I hope everything goes fine to his year after chemo checkup and beyond.

That is awesome! I am very happy for you!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

That's terrific news! It's been a rough year for a lot of people I know, it's great to hear a success story.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by ericchile
    My Father died 3 weeks ago from Lung Cancer..... He never smoked a day in his life. He did chemo for 4 months... It did nothing.
    So sorry for your loss.
    Stan

Glad to hear the good hews, congratulations

Sorry to hear of your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Reading my post again it sounds pretty pessimistic. Im sorry if I came off that way. Congrats tallsteve. I think the thing to conquering cancer is early detection. In my fathers case he didn't have good health care, his employer wasn't covering him at the time. By the time they found the tumor it had already gone through his blood stream. The Chemo was suppose to reverse or at least slow down the Cancer. No one knows for sure, but I don't know if it just made his life at the end worse and if it actually slowed anything down at all.
    Ouch my freaking ears....

Don't understand my avatar? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQzIg0CPW5Q

Reading my post again it sounds pretty pessimistic. Im sorry if I came off that way. Congrats tallsteve. I think the thing to conquering cancer is early detection. In my fathers case he didn't have good health care, his employer wasn't covering him at the time. By the time they found the tumor it had already gone through his blood stream. The Chemo was suppose to reverse or at least slow down the Cancer. No one knows for sure, but I don't know if it just made his life at the end worse and if it actually slowed anything down at all.
    One of the frustrating things about cancer is the frequent room for second-guessing. Too often, the victim puts off a check-up, or ignores what turns out to be a symptom. In my wife's case, her doctors failed her at several steps along the way. The "what ifs" can drive you crazy, but it doesn't change anything.
    Stan

Hey Steve - great news! Here's to many, many years of health in the future for your boy!

Eric, my condolences. My mom's cancer (pancreatic) was discovered when it was too late - despite fairly regular check-ups and so on. It's an awful thing, and it's never fair, but these thing can, do, and will continue to happen... Wishing you strength and peace.

Good to hear Steve, best wishes.

Sorry to hear Eric, condolences.

Thanks, everyone. Before my son was diagnosed, cancer was just something bad that happened to 'other' people. After his diagnosis, I was amazed at how many people we have talked to that have some experience with the disease. I have come to learn that almost EVERYONE has some close personal experience with cancer- a family member, friend, neighbor, etc. If you haven't, count yourself lucky and prepare for the day that you will because you will! In the past six months I have learned a few things. First, I don't know why some survive and some don't and I will probably not know that answer in this life. Second, I have so much more compassion for people that are suffering with long term illnesses. Third, I soooo admire people that are doing their best to conquer this disease like Lance Armstrong and John Huntsman. If you watched or heard the hour long interview Glenn Beck did with Mr. Huntsman you'd have to come away impressed and in awe as I did. Fourth, the Huntsman Cancer Center and their staff, particularly the nurses, are AMAZING! Fifth, my 24 year old son is now my hero. If I can live the rest of my life and live through trials with the grace, determination, sense of humor and faith that he has done the last few months, I will be satisfied with my life.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    I have come to learn that almost EVERYONE has some close personal experience with cancer- a family member, friend, neighbor, etc. If you haven't, count yourself lucky and prepare for the day that you will because you will!
    Very true. My wife lost her mother to cancer at age 4.