Thread: Million Dollar View Cache in San Rafael

Million Dollar View Cache in San Rafael

This last Friday, 29 Feb '08, Liza and myself met up with another couple, the DeViDe's, in Green River.
    The intent was to explore "something" in the Swell, something meaning we didn't care what
    "just something." Cabin fever had taken it's toll, hell or high water wasn't going to keep
    us home, even if we had to spend the weekend in the hotel hot tube, not a bad thought by itself..

As it turned out Saturday was the perfect hiking day. The weather was beautiful, one couldn't have asked for better.
    It only took five minutes of discussion to decide we were going to hike and explore the north rim of the Black Dragon Canyon,
    there's a geocach by the DeViDe's at the top and the view is supposed to be breath taking.
    One of those views where you could sit down and stare for ever. (Sometimes I do that, just stare, I'm told it's just the on slot of old age.)

The hike was everything I expected, shortness of breath, stinging lungs, sweaty bald head, frequent
    stops, sore feet and leg muscles for the next two days. (a little embellishment)
    Now you tell me I don't know how to have fun.

The hike was a little over five miles around, and took six hours. We could have done it in less time but you have to figure in some time for checking things out.
    We love the rock formations and the old cedars, they age with such rugged beauty, if I live long enough to be old I hope to age the same.

After all the effort we put into get to the top and sign the geocach log I find that Udink had already been there over a year and a half ago.
    The kid seems to be everywhere. Never the less it was well worth the effort to be one of the very few to sign the log.

From our vantage point we could see Mexican Mountain, the Lower Black Box, Black Dragon Wash, San Rafael River and straight down.
    And best of all we could see what appeared to be forever.

I'm already trying to match the wife
    Attached Images Attached Images              
    ----------------------------------------------
    Life Sucks When Making a Living Gets In The Way Of Living!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Gotta love the Swell!

I am looking forward to the Spring Event next month.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Awesome write-up and pictures. That is definitely one of my all-time favorite caches. With a good pair of binoculars, you probably could have seen my car from up there--it was parked at the mouth of Red Canyon for a good part of the day, about 10 miles west-northwest from the cache.