Thread: Man with a gun seen at East High School

Man with a gun seen at East High School

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2793391#

Police are asking for help to find a man who they say flashed a gun at a student at East High School on Wednesday.

The man was not a student. Now police want to know who he is and why he was at East High School.

Police have released surveillance video in hopes someone will recognize him. Police say the man is about 30 years old, and based on how he was acting, it was clear he didn't belong there.

Salt Lake City police detective Jeff Bedard said, "The way he was acting is very odd, and we want to figure out what his story is."

The man walked into East High Wednesday morning around 9:00 through an entrance on the northeast side. It's a door students often use going to and from the sports facilities across the street.

Police say, once inside, the man motioned for a student walking down the stairs to come to him. When she refused, he lifted his sweatshirt and revealed a handgun tucked into the waistband of his pants.

JaLee Harris, a parent of an East High student, said, "There are so many of these shootings going on at so many different schools, it does alarm me, it does frighten me."

The student went to her class and reported the man. Police and the school district say she did the right thing. Jason Olsen, with the Salt Lake City School District, said, "She went away, took herself out of the situation, got away as quickly as she could, and she reported it immediately."

The man left the school and hasn't been seen since. Surveillance video also shows his car: a black, two-door model with a large spoiler on the back.

The district says its schools have tight security, with security teams that walk the halls and surveillance cameras, but they count on students to be vigilant too. Fellow students are glad that was the case Wednesday.

Student Steven Mathena said, "My heart goes out to that student for what the student did, or he probably would have continued down through the school."

The Salt Lake City School District says it has notified all its other schools about what happened. If you have any information, call Salt Lake City Police.

Just think, if they had a "no guns allowed" sign posted, he would have been forced to stay out.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Man with a gun seen at East High School

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech

Just think, if they had a "no guns allowed" sign posted, he would have been forced to stay out.

that's right our kids are safer armed

Quote Originally Posted by stefan

that's right our kids are safer armed
    No, they're safer with a sign! Scotch tape and fluorescent yellow paper saying:

NO GUNS ALLOWED. IF YOU HAVE A GUN, SOMEBODY WITH A KNIFE OR A VERY SHARP SPOON WILL ASK YOU NICELY TO LEAVE.

IF YOU DON'T LEAVE, WE'LL CALL THE COPS. BUT THEY'LL HAVE TO LEAVE THEIR GUNS OUTSIDE TOO, SO THEY'LL OFFER YOU PIZZA.

IF YOU DON'T LEAVE, WE'LL CALL THE COPS. BUT THEY'LL HAVE TO LEAVE THEIR GUNS OUTSIDE TOO, SO THEY'LL OFFER YOU PIZZA.
    Got that right. Pizza is the end all to all confrontations.

Bad guy's can't read, they need pictures, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch
    Bad guy's can't read, they need pictures, LOL
    In their defense, some of these guys don't know that murder is illegal. So unless they see a sign that bans guns, their plans continue.

...which also makes me ask the question, why don't they just put up a sign that says "Murder is prohibited here". It seems like it would accomplish more, right? I mean, it should affect the stabbings and beatings too.

That's it. Screw the gun prohibiting signs. Just ban murder. There, you're all welcome.

If we are going to ban the taking of life, we should also ban the creating of life. If you can't read, you shouldn't be doing either.

But then if that was the case, 'beech might not be here, so I'm torn...

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    If you can't read, you shouldn't be doing either.
    Just like looking at the pictures

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    If we are going to ban the taking of life, we should also ban the creating of life.
    alrightee then.

oh, and if copying music is banned, making music is banned.

It's all making sense now.

alrightee then.

oh, and if copying music is banned, making music is banned.

It's all making sense now.
    My point exactly. Glad to see your rhetoric finally making some sense...

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Just like looking at the pictures