Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now: Bogley Hike to Lady Mountain and Bridge Mountain

Bogley BigShot

Now: Bogley Hike to Lady Mountain and Bridge Mountain

Found a site .. not sure if it's new, but I never seen it before.
    http://www.utaharches.com/ZNP.to

Crawford Arch (Bridge Mountain Arch) is a spectacular free standing, natural arc arch that is 3 feet wide, 156 feet long and spans a distance of 120 feet

I need to verify that this info is correct for our next magazine article. Does anyone have books or anything with information. I found this somewhere, but don't remember now except it was a reference of a reference of some old book.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Hmmm.... it calls Jug Handle Arch ... twin butte arch..

The park calls it Jug Handle - wonder why the different name?

Actually thinking about it.. since the park cannot name anything... they probably are just saying that the type of Arch is a Jug Handle Arch -- oh well... that is what I have always heard it called and think I will stick with it.

Is this the arch located across from the "old" visitor's center at Zion?
    If so, there is a picture in Zion with a woman standing on the span and info beneath it. What did the park do with that photo? Is it in the museum? Also, a plaque stands outside the museum/old visitor center showing the arch off in the mountain. I believe the stats are on that plaque. Wrong arch? Hope to help, RM
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    the link did not work for me, so I went to http://www.utaharches.com/ZNP.php and it has bridge mountain arch listed and none of the other names mentioned. I believe the correct name is bridge mountain arch, but could not find anythinga about it at ZNP website.

edit: znp has it as crawford arch, but yeah Bridge Mountain arch also heard. Sorry no specs given maybe call the park and see if they'll give you some

Bogley BigShot
    Yes, it's called both Bridge Mountain Arch and Crawford Arch.... I think I will see if Bo will ask them. I would hate to put the wrong info in the article and I don't want to cut that part either.

Thanks Guys

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Hey Tanya how hard of the hike/climb is it to Bridge Mountain? I've wanted to do it after reading your trail description and Joe's. Would a competent rock climber/cannoned (like myself, I'm not a pro or expert, or know it all) be able to make it fine? Saw your pictures and there looks like there are some very steep exposed sections.

Re: Crawford Arch - Bridge Mountain Arch

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Found a site .. not sure if it's new, but I never seen it before.
    http://www.utaharches.com/ZNP.to

Crawford Arch (Bridge Mountain Arch) is a spectacular free standing, natural arc arch that is 3 feet wide, 156 feet long and spans a distance of 120 feet

I need to verify that this info is correct for our next magazine article. Does anyone have books or anything with information. I found this somewhere, but don't remember now except it was a reference of a reference of some old book.

From the NABS site:

Zion National Park has about half a dozen other natural arches. The most interesting of them is Bridge Mountain Arch, a highly unique piece of rock that is only 3 feet thick and 156 feet long, but since the rock is at a considerable angle, it only spans a distance of 120 feet (these figures come from Volume 8 of Robert H. Vreeland's Nature's Bridges and Arches, now out of print). Bridge Mountain Arch can be seen with binoculars from the Visitors Center, but actually reaching the arch requires a strenuous cross-country hike and some technical climbing skills. Details of the route can be found in the Zion Natural History Association book Exploring the Backcountry of Zion National Park.

In Canyon Country Arches & Bridges, F.A. Barnes cites an article that appeared in the 10-2-1983 SLC Deseret News Magazine that discussed the measuring of Kolob Arch by a research team led by BYU prof Reed Blake. The Blake team also measured other major Utah arches and Barnes extracts that info within a chart listing "Natural Arch Zion National Park 156 [span in feet]" that i would infer applies to Bridge Mtn Arch.

Thanks!!!!

But 120 feet or 156 feet is now the question. Anyone want to run up there and meaure if for me.

I wonder if that is the article that talked about the remeasure of Kolob Arch in Zion that made it 2nd longest arch in the world instead of longest due to their method of measurement? I read that article too somewhere... a couple of years ago... bet its no longer online though since it was a news article.. but you know I do try and post all Zion articles to the Zion yahoo group so I always have them!.. Will look!

That's where I found it! Bo is checking with Zion today to make sure it's accurate but it should be if on that site! You are awesome Jeff!

PS.. that new photo of you do not do you justice! I like mine of you much better.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Hey Tanya how hard of the hike/climb is it to Bridge Mountain? I've wanted to do it after reading your trail description and Joe's. Would a competent rock climber/cannoned (like myself, I'm not a pro or expert, or know it all) be able to make it fine? Saw your pictures and there looks like there are some very steep exposed sections.

This is the one we are writing up for the magazine right now. There is only one climbing section, a chimney. Its a breeze compared to South Canyon we just did... but for Zion it's a pretty tough one because you go up then down and up and down, etc... I would think that ny competent rock climber would have no trouble at all though. May is the best time to go!

Climbing section - Chimney - This is the only climbing section

PS.. that new photo of you do not do you justice! I like mine of you much better.

new photo. old me. I'll be looking for a rejuvenating hike the weekend of April 5th although preferably not 50 miles. Will stop by the OO on the 2nd in search of a pair of size 11 exum ridges.

Bogley BigShot

Quote Originally Posted by erial

new photo. old me. I'll be looking for a rejuvenating hike the weekend of April 5th although preferably not 50 miles. Will stop by the OO on the 2nd in search of a pair of size 11 exum ridges.

I am going to try the 50 mile one this year! What do you have in mind for the April 5th trip?

I am going to try the 50 mile one this year! What do you have in mind for the April 5th trip?
    Uh, clear skies, light winds, maybe 67 degrees F. How about Castle Rock over by the Cottonwood Wash Rd. I believe it was Bruce from Bryce who mentioned trying to find a route up there. Maybe we could all meet and have a go at it.

Maybe not accurate info?

Not sure if the info I was given is accurate

Thanks Tanya - great pictures of Bo!

Bogley BigShot

Uh, clear skies, light winds, maybe 67 degrees F. How about Castle Rock over by the Cottonwood Wash Rd. I believe it was Bruce from Bryce who mentioned trying to find a route up there. Maybe we could all meet and have a go at it.

That works for me unless that is the day the group chooses to do their Bogley Canyon Trip. I am going to actually show up for that this year. If it's that date you should do it too!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Tom didn't know what type of arch Hepworth was and also didn't know the span of "Crawford Arch". He gave me the name of Mike Large who works at the Natural History Museum. I called and talked to him and he is an arch "buff". He hasn't been to Crawford or Hepworth, but knew that the span of "Crawford" is 168'. He also listed Hepworth as a freestanding Occluded Arch as per my description. He also gave me this website for "geonames".

http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/index.html

The National Park cannot give names to any features that have been listed already on a USGS 7.5' Map. I querried Bridge Mountain Arch, and Crawford Arch and the USGS hasn't given the arch a name nor listed it on a map. In other words the arch could be called anything we wanted to call it. People used to call it Bridge Mountain Arch, but more recently it has been referred to as Crawford Arch. I don't know the history of the name, nor did Mike Large or Tom Haraden? The Park however now refers to the name "Crawford Arch" because it seems to be what is most commonly stated. In a nutshell...it should be referred to as Crawford Arch.

Also...Crawford Arch is as wide as 6' in places and as thick as 3' in places as I reviewed my photos and used a bit of logical deduction to come up with some figures.
    Wonderful Info Bo!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    Thanks Tanya - great pictures of Bo!
    Thanks! Bo does make a good subject for hiking shots!

Quote Originally Posted by "tanya
    [color=white
    That works for me unless that is the day the group chooses to do their Bogley Canyon Trip. I am going to actually show up for that this year. If it's that date you should do it too![/color]
    Bogley Canyon Trip? Is that what's being discussed in the nOObfest thread?

Bogley BigShot
    Yep... I assume Shane is the one that will make the date, place and time ... being our fearless canyon leader here at Bogley....

My fingers are crossed for the GSENM

Bo looks right at home!

Here's a shot I took of Crawford Arch from the Museum parking lot.

Win

Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Bogley BigShot
    You can get a little bit closer from the Parus Trail. We should do Bridge Mountain as a Bogley Trip. It's a cool hike! It has a small window though.. like May only.

I think there is even some route that does not involve doing the chimney, but not sure. Bo would know. Some guy was telling him something one time when we were up there but I ran off taking photos and did not listen -- as usual.