Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech Tips Subject

Tech Tips Subject

I'd like to start posting some tech tips again. I'm not sure they benefit many people but I enjoy writing them.

Instead of picking what I think you want to hear why don't you tell me what topic you want me to cover. Let me know what you want to know.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ohh nice. I've just registered a domain but my HTML skills suck. Basically i spent 3 hours learning how to make a "rollover" icon work, LOL.

Is there a place to grab some decent templates with frames and just input your own values easily?

I really like the look of the CSS websties http://www.csszengarden.com/ is there an easy way to make those?

I've also seen some cool artwork I'd like to use. Mostly stuff from keithparkinson.com. If it's just a personal website and not even registered with search engines and will mostly be used for family to view baby pics, is that a big deal?

Thanks in advance!

I just stuck my foot in my mouth.

Sorry deathcricket I can't help you with that stuff.

Let me narrow down the tech stuff to what I know. I know Audio, Video, Home Theater, and related subjects.

Re: Tech Tips Subject

Quote Originally Posted by icthys
    I'd like to start posting some tech tips again. I'm not sure they benefit many people but I enjoy writing them.

Instead of picking what I think you want to hear why don't you tell me what topic you want me to cover. Let me know what you want to know.
    Hey, itchys ~ sounds like that fish disease ~ : /

I'd like to know how to make a tinyurl out of a long url?
    Does that make sense? Can ya tech tip me on how to this?

Thanks!

~Randi
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Re: Tech Tips Subject

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    I'd like to know how to make a tinyurl out of a long url?
    Does that make sense? Can ya tech tip me on how to this?

Thanks!

~Randi
    Let's say you're referencing a Yahoo News link that takes up the whole page.

Here's a link for example:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Using the BBcode, or the buttons up top, use the following code:
    Code:
    Link Here
    And that will look like this:
    Link Here

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    Is there a place to grab some decent templates with frames and just input your own values easily?
    A popular trick is to find a page you like, view the source, and copy that text file. You can do little edits here and there to personalize it.

I do a Question of a Day at work for tech (computer) related stuff for our techs. If you guys want, I can post them here as well. Some of the questions are related to our work, but some are more general to technology world.

Example:

Question:

You are building your own computer. You bought all the new and latest hardware. You have a SATA 500GB drive to install Windows XP on. All hardware is in perfect working shape. You boot up the computer and once you get to the Partition section, the Windows setup can not find the drive.

1. What is the problem?
    2. How do you fix it?

I would like to know how to tunnel a vpn connection over an SSH connection.. Is this possible?
    Ouch my freaking ears....

Don't understand my avatar? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQzIg0CPW5Q

1. What is the problem?

You need SP2 on your WindowsXP drive?

2. How do you fix it?[/quote]

Slipstream it...

I am pretty tech savy, and I can't think of a specific subject for which I am searching, but I would enjoy a general tech post if you begin one.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    You are building your own computer. You bought all the new and latest hardware. You have a SATA 500GB drive to install Windows XP on. All hardware is in perfect working shape. You boot up the computer and once you get to the Partition section, the Windows setup can not find the drive.

1. What is the problem?
    2. How do you fix it?
    Well... if you are a retard like me you plugged the SATA into the wrong port. I didn't know you had to use the 1st one.

Oh and thanks for the tips Beech. I will try that. I was thinking cleanup would take longer than just making one from scratch but turn outs that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    Ohh nice. I've just registered a domain but my HTML skills suck. Basically i spent 3 hours learning how to make a "rollover" icon work, LOL.

I really like the look of the CSS websties http://www.csszengarden.com/ is there an easy way to make those?

I've also seen some cool artwork I'd like to use. Mostly stuff from keithparkinson.com. If it's just a personal website and not even registered with search engines and will mostly be used for family to view baby pics, is that a big deal?

Thanks in advance!
    Simple website software for anyone:

Have them manage the nuts and bolts: www.wordpress.com

You manage the nuts and bolts: www.wordpress.org

Acca's Food Blog is a good example: www.thegoodfoodblog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    I do a Question of a Day at work for tech (computer) related stuff for our techs. If you guys want, I can post them here as well. Some of the questions are related to our work, but some are more general to technology world.

Example:

Question:

1. What is the problem?
    2. How do you fix it?
    1. The problem is that your bios is set to a RAID configuration as opposed to an IDE configuration.

2. Go into the bios (Setup) and change the drive configuration from RAID to IDE. Different bios companies can look different, so you should be fairly flexible in what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Simple website software for anyone:

Have them manage the nuts and bolts: www.wordpress.com

You manage the nuts and bolts: www.wordpress.org

Acca's Food Blog is a good example: www.thegoodfoodblog.com
    Ahh this looks like what I was looking for! Thank you.

BTW I did try making your breakfast crepes (1st blog post) and they were a total disaster. I made the outer shell way too thick and they wouldn't bend proper.

Anyways, going to try again this weekend, but just wanted to personally thank you for all the good recipes. New to cooking but the wifey loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutpiler_Utahn

1. The problem is that your bios is set to a RAID configuration...
    I hate RAID. I think it is one of the worst ideas ever! I have only had problems with in. (I have never actually had a RAID drive, but I get a lot of tech support calls about it).

Are you kidding? RAID has been around a long time and there is a reason. In the Server world RAID 7 rocks.

In the consumer world... it is a nice option for 5% of the users.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    I hate RAID. I think it is one of the worst ideas ever!
    You krazy, man.

For personal computers do you guys enjoy RAID? I have only used RAID 0 and RAID 1. But I have not seen enough performance increase to make it worth while and I have seen more computers have problems because of RAID than I have observed computers saved by it.

On a server basis, I can see how RAID comes in handy. For my own personal computer, I would setup a RAID 0 configuration with a regular backup.

Personally, I hate supporting RAID too. It causes more hassle for the general consumer than it's worth. I never could understand why Dell would seel so many of their systems with RAID as thier standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutpiler_Utahn

Personally, I hate supporting RAID too. It causes more hassle for the general consumer than it's worth. I never could understand why Dell would seel so many of their systems with RAID as thier standard.
    Oh shoot! I think we must work the same place. Are you working now?