Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post the Bands that you HATE, but you're expected to LOVE

I agree whole-heated about Metallica. All of Linkin Park souds the same.

As for country, I haven't listened to the new garbage. Give me some Willie Nelson or George Jones over the crap playing now.

When I am in the car, I listen to 103.1. They play a bit of everything.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    I hate this band

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Where's my hat?

Speaking of The Used my dad taught that original bassist how to play.

I can't stand CREED. I'm happy as hell they dropped off the planet.

Growing up with real musicians I'm a hater of those that can't play also. A few cords here and there doesn't make you a musician, dumb ass people who don't know the difference do.

What's this music of which you speak???? I have a penis so I listen to sport's talk radio.

But in the spirit of this.... I can't stand Jim Rome.

You know whats interesting is that all of our comments, besides Ice's last one about his "inch worm" , all seem to mimic each other. If there is such a hatred for all these bands, then how do they seem to be so popular?

Oh yeah Linkin Park!

I think my brain actually blocked my memory of hearing them as a self preservation effort. That's a good call.

This is a great thread! I have to admit I bought a Creed and limp biscuit CD years and years ago. Talk about garbage albums, yuck!

Only band I don't agree with with is ICP. Not my kind of music granted, but they are so unique, disturbed, and disgusting, I just have to love those guys. Of course everyones mileage may vary.

I defy anyone to listen to this song and not love these guys!

DKM....

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=wwsQlBUZtc8[/youtube]
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Was wondering where I should post this tidbit, and this seems the perfect spot.

I sure don't like 'em (hate is such a strong word), but rumor has it that AC/DC is recording in Vancouver right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Where's my hat?
    I figured that would be a good curve ball

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOU812
    You know whats interesting is that all of our comments, besides Ice's last one about his "inch worm" , all seem to mimic each other. If there is such a hatred for all these bands, then how do they seem to be so popular?
    Because this board is a major niche group, similar interests across the board that are not shared by the majority of the population.

Here's my opinion. First thing, it's all subjective. What really makes a musician "talented" or not, successful or not? Is there clear consensus on what constitutes a "musician." Or a "talented" musician?

In photography, there are similar sentiments. I get asked frequently if I'm a "photographer," and usually, I respond that I "pretend." Since being a photographer usually denotes someone who does it for a living, or claiming it as a label denotes a certain level of accomplishment has been reached. Not sure if "musician" carries the same weight.

Likewise, lots of photographers love to measure photographs by technical qualities, i.e. is the image sharp, in focus, horizons straight, good composition, nice colors, well printed, etc.. If any of the "rules" are broken, you are a crappy photographer. Those types of "photographers" remind me of this discussion.

Then there are other photographers and art lovers who don't give too hoots about anything, and they shoot images that break every rule you could ever conceive, and then a few you can't. I look at them, and may think the image is a complete piece of garbage. Others will spend thousands of dollars on the print. Is that person a talentless photographer?

In most "arts," it's very tough to make a living. Perhaps, from a narrow perspective, these talentless musicians suck, and you think you are better than them, or they don't deserve their big fat contracts, or whatever. But the bottom line is musical talent is not what makes someone a prominent musician. Just like raw talent with a camera doesn't make a photographer prominent. What makes them good is all of the other things they do to make their music (or photography) seen or heard, combined by their personal vision. That takes business sense, perseverance, stubborness, vision, determination, luck, etc...

I mean, if so many talentless hacks are making millions in music, why aren't you? And if not, why the hate for those who do have the ears of the masses? Jealousy, perhaps? Or is it just that their vision of their music isn't the same as yours?

Y'all are a bunch of haters.

I gotta tell you, nine times out of ten, popularity and success for a musician mean they are a package job aimed at the lowest common denominator. 99% or pop, country, rock, metal, alternative, country, garage, etc, is complete excrement.

The other 99% is total brilliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    I gotta tell you, nine times out of ten, popularity and success for a musician mean they are a package job aimed at the lowest common denominator. 99% or pop, country, rock, metal, alternative, country, garage, etc, is complete excrement.

I actually played more jazz/funk style back in the day and you rarely hear of these guys in the top 40 but when these 'big bands' get asked who their influences were they always go back to the artists you dont hear alot of.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron *

* Photographer, not mathematician. (I think you mean "The other 1%")

The thing is, and I hate to admit it, some of that packaged crap for the lowest common denominator is actually total ear candy. I consider myself a fairly discerning listener, but sometimes ya just gotta admit - occasionally the crap purveyors spit out a gem.

All that being said, I still don't get hip-hop.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron *

* Photographer, not mathematician. (I think you mean "The other 1%")
    I was trying to make a point about not being able to quantify art.

Not to Hijack this thread, but I thought of the dissing of Metallica when I came across this.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=3TphH2-nnKk[/youtube]

Then I came across this

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=H7csvgL-G3E&feature=related[/youtube]

Kinda different. I might like them.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=A7hRnPKdQq4&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=0_9gn5OaBcM&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=dySZpw4JJC4&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=FVLQNIZnuLY[/youtube]
    - Edward Abbey

Dude. That version of Stairway was sick! That was really cool.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

They also do Unforgiven and Hurt. couldn't find them on Youtube.

I have always liked the chanting. When I was on my mission, I got a cd of the Bennedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos. Its great, even though I don't know latin.
    - Edward Abbey

Two bands everyone is suppose to like, Dave Matthews and Sheryl Crow, yeah, I don't get it. They both put me into a sobering slumber. I like exactly 3 songs between the two.

BTW - I have 2 gigs worth of DMB in my IPOD, I just don't listen to it.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate
    BTW - I have 2 gigs worth of DMB in my IPOD, I just don't listen to it.
    BLASPHEMER!!!!! I used to love ya man. Now??? Let's just say I'm going to have to seriously re-evaluate our relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOU812
    I have this theory that all people are sheep and buy whatever is playing on the radio. They want someone to tell them what is popular and what they should like. Sadly my wife falls into this category. On several occaisons I have brought music to her that I thought she would like only to hear "not my style, not interested". Then on a couple occaisons it will get popular and start playing on the radio and she will say "hey can you download me this torrent please?" Same exact song!!

Another instance, I was playing this obscure band called "Blasted Mechanism" in the garage while cleaning my car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG7bHdE98lc She comes out and thinks I'm listening to the radio and says "hey that could be some good workout music, what's the name of that band". I had played the same exact video not 4 days earlier and she said "what a bunch of freaks, I would never listen to that garbage."

Oh, but once it's on the radio it's all good.... *sigh* I guess my point is that they cram stuff on the radio down your throat and that makes it popular, marketing.... not talent IMO.