Thread: Flowers of Joshua Tree, CA Spring 2008

Flowers of Joshua Tree, CA Spring 2008

Saturday, 03-01-08

The flowers have begun to bloom in the lower desert. The aroma of the fields of flowers is wonderful!

It is just the beginning of the season. I will post more pictures as we visit the park during this season.

Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images            

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

thanks felicia, the socal deserts are so pretty in the spring. between anza borrego, the mojave, jtree, death valley, and all the others in betwixt ...

Re: Album: Flowers of Joshua Tree, CA Spring 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    Saturday, 03-01-08

The flowers have begun to bloom in the lower desert. The aroma of the fields of flowers is wonderful!

It is just the beginning of the season. I will post more pictures as we visit the park during this season.

Enjoy.
    Aaaaaahhhhhhhh...FLOWERS!!!!
    Josh looks wonderful! Thanks for posting these picks Felicia!
    I had my daughters out n Anza last w/e & the weather was soooo beautiful, and yes the flowers are in bloom. I especially love the Ocitillo trees.

I had the coolest experience out there: Rachael (my youngest) and I were lounging around on the velvet green (her playing guitar & me napping sort of) when I spied this little owl about 12 inches away just sittin in the brush ~ blending in ~ looking like a little rock with feathers! Once he realized we were onto him, he started hissing and his tinsy tiny little beak turned into this huge-gaping-face-engulfing maw! His beak opened REALLY WIDE a few times and it was so cool looking! I didn't get any photos of that, but I followed him up the hill as he flew from one spot to another and did manage a couple of photos of him! Will post here later after I find out what kind of bird he was.

It's a great time of year to be out and about in the desert!

~Randi
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

My wife and I have been wanting to see Death Valley with spring flowers...sounds like it's road trip time.

Thanks for posting.

Bogley BigShot
    Pretty!

Re: Album: Flowers of Joshua Tree, CA Spring 2008

[quote="Randi"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    Saturday, 03-01-08
    ..... did manage a couple of photos of him! Will post here later after I find out what kind of bird he was.

It's a great time of year to be out and about in the desert!

~Randi
    I can't figure out what type of bird he is. Can't find a picture and am too lazy to keep trying. Perhaps someone here knows?
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

More flowers from 03-08-08

The fowers are getting better!

We entered Joshua Tree National Park via the Cottonwood on Saturday. The weather was perfect. It was not too hot and not too windy. There were lots of people out photographing the flowers, and everyone was nice and friendly. We parked at the Cottonwood campground and went on a 3 hour stroll through the hills and washes.

After being with John for almost 20 years now, I'm still always amazed how he remembers where "stuff" is in JT. We walked right up to an indian grinding hole. The washes were beautiful. We had the area pretty much to ourselves. Lunch was spent under a cottonwood tree.

After leaving Cottonwood, we continued to drive through the park. Last week, the flowers stopped shortly after Smoke Tree wash. This week there were flowers all the way to the Cholla Patch.

The high part of the Park does not have any flowers yet, but the Joshua Trees in the late afternoon light were beautiful.

There are still weeks of flowers ahead and we are going to be there as much as possible. The Barrel Cactus are my favorite and I can't wait till they begin to bloom. Already have them scoped in the back country and will be visiting them soon. I will keep you posted.

After we leave the park, we always stop at Pappy & Harriet's. Great food, drink and live music!

Enjoy:

Some of John's pictures:

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Pretty!

Indeed, very nice. Are you the subject?

I wish!!!! Look at all those flowers!

I assume it is Tanya!

Wow, nice pics! I was in Joshua Tree for the first time over Christmas break. No flowers, would love to go back and see the desert in bloom. I understand that Death Valley has amazing flowers as well, we were there at Christmas time as well, would love to see the colors.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost