Thread: White Rim BP

White Rim BP

We had some pretty nice weather move in for a few days last week so I thought I ought to do a shakedown walk to try out some new gear-a pack, stove, some clothes, etc. I went down the snow covered Shafer Trail, spent two nights along the White Rim and came out at the Lathrop Trail with a two mile hike along the park road back to my car. About 28 miles total, including some short side hikes. The Rangers said I was the first backcountry permit issued at I-Sky this year so I didn't figure on seeing anybody else, but as it turned out, a pair of mtn. bikers came down Shafer the 2nd day out and were doing the entire rim in a 3 day trip. No matter, I had a great time, temps were about 50ish during the day and just above freezing at night. Water was everywhere, potholes, runoff ponds, small runoff creeks, etc.
    Here's a few photos-
    Attached Images Attached Images           

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, nice TR. First permit of the year gives you some braggin rights Thanks for the awesome pics, I can't wait to get out. How did your new stuff work out?
    The man thong is wrong.

I like it.

Nice report.

Re: White Rim BP

Quote Originally Posted by slickrocker
    We had some pretty nice weather move in for a few days last week so I thought I ought to do a shakedown walk to try out some new gear-a pack, stove, some clothes, etc. I went down the snow covered Shafer Trail, spent two nights along the White Rim and came out at the Lathrop Trail with a two mile hike along the park road back to my car. About 28 miles total, including some short side hikes. The Rangers said I was the first backcountry permit issued at I-Sky this year so I didn't figure on seeing anybody else, but as it turned out, a pair of mtn. bikers came down Shafer the 2nd day out and were doing the entire rim in a 3 day trip. No matter, I had a great time, temps were about 50ish during the day and just above freezing at night. Water was everywhere, potholes, runoff ponds, small runoff creeks, etc.
    Here's a few photos-

that looks like a very small back pack.
    details.
    oh nice pictures.
    its making me jealous

stunning photos!!
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I am green with envy
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Thanks for taking a look everyone.
    The pack is an Osprey Atmos 65. I really needed to upgrade and update my pack situation and the Atmos is going to be a great 3 season, 2-3 night pack for me. It was just incredibly comfortable.
    The rangers had no info on the water situation on the White Rim so I hauled 3 liters down with me just in case, but I was 99% sure I'd find plenty. The pack weighed 32 lbs when I started and 24 lbs at the end. A far cry from my usual 40 lbs - 33 lbs of the past.
    I decided to switch from canister to alcohol stoves as well and the pepsi can stove I made worked like a charm.
    I'm hoping to get out again next week.